1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

AT&T to buy Time Warner

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by sasq, Oct 21, 2016.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Federal government killed the AT&T/T-Mobile deal. That should also happen here. It violates anti-trust.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

That was cellular phone wise (monopoly be damned of controlling the markets). Oh, and there's rumor talks from insiders talking about the nightmare of Comcast buying Verizon (think about that part if that ever becomes a thing).

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TheVileOne

Reporter

This is also further monopolizing communications industry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sasq

sasq Active Member

In Italy, there were talks of Telecom Italia buying Mediaset, nothing ever came of that, and it would have been a nightmare to see a telecommunications company and a media company together.

5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Is it really violating antitrust? Just because the AT&T/T-Mobile deal never materialised due to federal government, it shouldn't happen to this merger.

You really haven't mentioned the fact that Comcast bought nearly half of General Electric's share of NBC Universal a few years ago before buying the remaining half later. If NBC Universal can be part of Comcast, then I don't see the point of not having Time Warner to become part of AT&T.

I'm hoping that this merger doesn't end up like the ill-fated AOL Time Warner merger of 2000.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

6. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yes it does.

I don't think that should've been allowed either. And neither should've have AOL/Time Warner

7. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

How does AT&T acquiring TW violate antitrust? It's not going to be a monopoly. They'll still have competition with the likes of Comcast, Disney, etc. They're not buying another phone company this time; TW is engaged in a different industry.

It likely won't. Time Warner isn't as large nowadays as they were back in 2000. They've lost a good chunk of their conglomeration over the years. AOL, Time Warner Cable, Warner Music Group, and even Time, Inc. have split off since 2009. It's not going to be the bloated megacorp that AOL tried and failed to absorb way back when.

The problem with AOL's merger was that it was too costly and too big for them to deal with. AT&T is much larger than AOL (so it would fit their britches better) and they're only paying roughly half the price for a smaller company.

• Like Like x 1
  8. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

^ Ironically, AOL is now part of Verizon, and Verizon used to be with AT&T...

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheVileOne

Reporter

It allows AT&T to control the distribution and production of popular content. AT&T is a communications company. They already own DirecTV. Why should they be allowed to purchase one of the biggest multinational mass media companies in the world?

Allowing them to control Time Warner lets them dictate the prices and takes more power away from consumers and consumer choice. Sorry, this isn't a good deal.

10. AdrenalineRush1996

Good point.

Sorry but it makes sense to do so and AT&T are eager to expand their media business. Like Daikun, Time Warner isn't as large as it was before since AOL, Warner Music Group, Time Inc and Time Warner Cable have now spun off as AOL is now part of Verizon and Time Warner Cable is now part of Charter. What's your issue on mergers and acquisitions? Not all of them result in monopolies.

In Portugal, I recall ZON (formerly TV Cabo) merging with Optimus before becoming NOS plus Orange UK merging with T-Mobile UK to become EE. Let's not forget about a bulk of EMI being bought by Universal Music Group with the remnants bought by Warner Music Group and I have a feeling that you're against Discovery's acqusition of Scripps Interactive.

11. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

In Belgium, we had UPC (part of Liberty Global), but Telenet bought it.

And now Liberty Global bought Telenet :eek::D

12. AdrenalineRush1996

And in the UK, Sky expanded their own line of channels after buying Virgin Media's line of channels.

13. sasq

sasq Active Member

In Italy, Telecom Italia bought Seat Pagine Gialle and turned it into a media company named Telecom Italia Media, they sold everything in 2013/2014 and folded the company in 2015.

also, telecommunications company Wind bought the italian division of H3G last year, becoming Wind Tre.

14. TheVileOne

Reporter

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Just because AT&T wants to expand its empire, doesn't mean they should or should be allowed to.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heeroyuy_Batman

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of this merger, but no matter what we think, it's almost certain at this point to be approved. I would have preferred Time Warner, Viacom, and CBS merged or Disney and Time Warner. I believe in the long run horizontal mergers are less dangerous, but that's just my opinion. However, this deal makes a lot of sense, business-wise and again it's pretty certain to be approved so what can we do.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AdrenalineRush1996

Like I said, I have a feeling that you're also against the Discovery acquisition of Scripps Interactive, which owns the Food Network and Travel Channel (which Discovery used to own).

Let me say this again: Not all mergers and acquisitions cause absolute power corruption.

Plus, you can't stop the merger from happening since it's currently pending approval from the FCC and already has gotten approval from the European Commission.

You may not like it, but once it's finalised, you need to accept the fact that it's happened.

And whether we like it or not, we need to accept that it has happened.

• Winner Winner x 2
    #136 AdrenalineRush1996, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  17. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

"We need to accept that it has happened", even though we "may not like it"? No offense, but even if this does happen, it's kind of insensitive to the issue one way or another. In other words, it sounds to me (repeat: to me) as though you're really saying "It's happening, and there's nothing you can do about it. Deal with it.". Look, I'm not sure I'm a fan of this myself (especially given the whole Cartoon Network problem, even though that's technically more of a Turner thing*), but telling people that they need to "accept" it isn't helping anyone's case; not yours, not mine, not anyone else's. I'm guess what I'm trying say is, by telling people that they should just "accept that it's happening", you're just making it worse/harder than it already is for those people who are against the idea. Just saying.

Also, Heeroyuy_Batman, those mergers would be just as bad, if not worse.

*That said, in a way, Time Warner is kind of also responsible for it, as well. Running a cable TV network is a team effort, after all...

18. AdrenalineRush1996

I apologise for making said comments since in hindsight, it came off as a bit too antagonistic, so I agree with you that my comments to those opposed to the merger was insensitive to the issue.

I am aware that the not yet finalised merger has divided many (heck, the Comcast acquistion of NBC Universal divided many due to Comcast's poor costumer service and continues to be divisive) but I am hoping that CN improves and recovers from its current dork age that began during this decade once this has finalised.

#138 AdrenalineRush1996, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  19. TheVileOne

Reporter

Just because I can't stop the merger doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. AdrenalineRush1996

And I admit to making unintentionally insensitive comments because of that. I'm well aware this not yet finalised merger has divided people alike and I apologise for making said comments at you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1