Ask a Wiki Question, Get a Wiki Answer

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by GWOtaku, Jan 26, 2009.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Confused about a rule or how to do something in the TZ Wiki? This thread is for you. We've tried to be pretty thorough in our guidelines, but just in case this thread will cover the gaps. Just ask whatever questions you have and we'll do our best to answer.

Posters, please feel free to respond to a question if you know the answer.

2. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

A quick one:

Just for clarity - the "characters" section is optional for articles on shorts, right?

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I think that's entirely reasonable.

4. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Sure. The more info the better.

6. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

When an article is created, is it automatically added to the list of articles? Or are users supposed to add it to the list themselves? Or do admins check the activity logs and add whatever pages have been created recently?

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The former. The article list is a special page that updates automatically all on its own. I just checked out of curiosity and the list is updated the exact same moment that a new article is created.

8. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

Question: On one of the articles I am working on it, there keeps appearing these warning about the page has going over 32kb. What should I do about it?

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

What's the article? Is this stopping you from saving changes in any way?

10. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

11. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I think the general consensus is that no article should be THAT long. I mean I'm looking at the article and some of those descriptions have too much text in them. There are also quite a few spoilers within the descriptions.

I suppose the only solutions is to make the descriptions shorter or two break the article into separate, smaller articles.

12. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

What's our stance on live action movies based on animation? Stuff like The Flintstones, G-Saviour, etc? Those could go either way I think. Especially tricky when you have shows like Ben 10 which used a live action movie to wrap up the story.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Ben 10 is one thing, but that other stuff that basically amounts to a live-action remake...well, it reminds me of Cartoon Network's decision to put live action on TV. We could allow it, but do we really want to? To me, this is a harder case than the one that could be made for comics.

I would suggest generally restraining this to the article about the cartoon that such projects come from...this is up for discussion though.

14. Prof. Mecavio

Prof. Mecavio The New No.2

I have a question to make, one that may seem odd, even stupid. In the TZ Animation Wiki Guide topic it says that if you search for an article that doesn't exist, you'll have the option to create said article. However, it seems that this option is not available for me, nowhere do I get a text/message that says something like "this article doesn't exist, would you like to create it?" (Or whatver it might say). So, what I would like to know is; what am I doing wrong? As you can understand this is a bit frustrating, especially since I don't know the reason for it.

Thank you.

Ps: I hope this was the right topic for this sort of question (seems like it). If not, then feel free to throw this post into the trash.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

This is definitely the place to ask, no worries!

Well, what is supposed to happen basically goes like this. If I search for "Fake Show Title" I will get a search results page that basically starts off like this:

The "create this page" link would be what you want.

If for some reason you aren't getting this, tell me what you're trying to create and I'll help get it started and hopefully also figure out what the problem is as well.

16. Prof. Mecavio

Prof. Mecavio The New No.2

Ok, thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I got the "you can create this page" option while searching now. However, first I had to remove "&fulltext= Search" from the adress window.

17. MonkeyFunk

The "create article" option only comes up if you hit "go", not "search".
    Not sure why, but then, Wikipedia does the same thing...

18. MonkeyFunk

I need a bit of clarity on the copyrighted material issue - is it okay to use brief quotes? I'm asking mainly because I'm planning to make an article on the Pulcinella Special Mention awards, which really need context (they get handed out for everything from "technical innovation" to "ambitious undertaking in the name of peace in the Middle East"), but I can see where quotations could be useful in "reception" sections.

19. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I'd say that's fine. Most academic writings use quotations so some brief sourced quotations should be ok.

20. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

As I mentioned to GWO in a PM I've got a sort of database of English voice actors for Dragonball characters (and the products they voiced in), but asking more specifically here might be better. Should I maybe add each bit to the character profiles or begin completely new articles? As you can see from the below attatchment (Son Gokû's English VAs), the database is rather extensive and might be too cumbersome.

Attached Files: