Article: 10 ways self-hating fans make genre entertainment worse

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Spider-Man, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

4. Getting squirrelly when people want to analyze what's really going on in these stories.
    Moff's Law. It's not just a suggestion, it's a law. It's right there in the name. As the TVTropes page helpfully explains, Moff's Law doesn't mean that you have to analyze or deconstruct things to death — just that you shouldn't get upset when other people want to do it. If you're secure and self-assured in your love of The Phantom Menace, then you shouldn't care if other people want to bring up the weird subtext of Jar-Jar. By all means, defend River Song from her critics — but there's no reason to insist that criticizing/analyzing River Song is incompatible with enjoying her stories. If an in-depth discussion of Vampire Diaries' sexual politics is seriously hindering your ability to appreciate Naked Damon, then just stop reading. But don't let your insecurity dictate how everybody else can talk about the stories you enjoy. Because yes, sometimes, in-depth analysis can contribute to making stories better, in the end.

Friggin' hell, this one drives me crazy. When I want to analyze themes and metaphors in something, there's always some mental munchkin who jumps on my back and tries to shut me down and shut me up. I swear that some people consider sci-fi and cartoons nothing more than something to stare at while one shovels Cheerios in one's face. Anything can have a deeper meaning and the people who just don't want to see that are the ones missing out. At least leave people alone if they want to talk about those things.

3. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

OMG I can't stand this. Look, it's fine if you have heard of a more obscure film or show and want to recommend it. But don't act like a snob because of it- it smacks of "Look at how much of a movie buff I am! You simpletons only like what's popular right now!"
    Also agree with this. Criticize the work, not the fans. If you do the latter, forums just devolve into little cliques, and that's no fun.