1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

Some online reviews gave this episode a higher rating then I would have. Personally on the grading scale where most people were giving this episode a solid A, I felt like it was more of a B- episode largely because the episode oozed of being a transitional episode to me. I guess I was honestly expecting too much out of the episode.

The biggest beef I had with the episode is that the title almost screamed their would be more reveals. The hint dropping we've been getting just felt like more would have happened. I expected Team Arrow to fully realize Laurel knows the secret, I expected Quentin would have had some sort of realization by the end and I expected Thea would have been in the know too --- or at least some combination of this consisting of at least two.

I'm a bit disappointed none of this happened OR we didn't get some other twist that would have shaken things up where Ollie's identity was concerned.

Beyond all that, I expected more out of Vibe, but on the same token, I guess its cool we DIDN'T get any more because its clear he's going to be something of a staple through a chunk of the rest of the story this season. It DOES better honor the original intent to make Barry critical for the end game this season but almost feels at this point they're going to hold back his powers.

I guess I SHOULD toss this out for those curious about Felicity:

2. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Another great episode. I enjoyed the introductions of Caitlin (and it's weird seeing a character with my name) and Cisco and was happy for the update on Barry.

I also liked the way Laurel worked through discovering Oliver's -- and Sara's -- identity. Quentin is pretty much the best; I've long suspected he really doesn't want to know who the vigilante is since the clues have been there if he really wanted to figure it out, so the confirmation was nice.

Every episode that goes by has me worrying more for Sara, though. I adore her and am so worried she's going to die.

Slade attacking the team in the Arrow cave was crazy intense -- Oliver pulling Felicity over the railing and under the stairs was awesome. The twists with Roy and Isabel were probably the least surprising though.

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

The Thea situation seems to be damned if you do, damned if you don't at this point. It makes me wonder when we'll see Merlyn make his move (it's been a while).

That would be a serious mistake. Personally, Sara feels like a bigger part of the cast than Laurel does at this point.

4. Lighthammer

Two points on this one:

First and foremost, we can be pretty confident that Sara isn't going to die this season from the following evidence: We know there's a funeral scene in either Seeing Red or City of Blood (I forgot which) and Caity Lotz remains on the casting billing for the following episode. Though this could mean they intend to do a flashback(s) with her, I don't see that as likely.

My point where Black Canary is concerned is to enable the showrunners to have their cake and eat it too. I would be very surprised if having both Sara and Laurel in the series is the showrunners attempt to keep Black Canary on Arrow while migrating Black Canary to the Birds of Prey series later. That being said, if this pans out to be true, Laurel or Sara would remain on Arrow while the other moves to the new series.

Some twitter comments suggest Thea could end up being part of Birds of Prey, but we still haven't even seen her debute or move towards becoming Speedy yet; but considering the advent of "more heroes showing up before the end" from Steve Amell's twitter feed, it sounds to me like Thea is going to be on team arrow in some capacity before the end of the season; certainly not as Speedy though. Unless things have changed, we're only getting one more costumed character by the end which seems to be reserved for Arsenal. Heck, that makes me suspect if we will even see Cisco Ramon appear as Vibe this season.

All and all, that means Laurel, Sara and probably Thea are in the safe zone and the only REAL character that could die this season tied directly to the Queen family is Moira. Though, I suppose it would make some sense if Oliver was attending a funeral for Isabel Rochev. I just don't see her being down and out by the end of the season though.

5. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

They'll need to have her back even if she dies, because she's still alive on the island.

6. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

Unless she "dies" on the island in the season finale (in which case I worry about them mirroring it in the present day).

I think the story is more interesting if she's alive and acting as Canary while Laurel is serving some other purpose (having a cop and lawyer friendly to Team Arrow would be ridiculously helpful, after all), but that shot of Laurel watching Sara through the window with Quentin? I don't know, there's something that has me nervous. If I end up being wrong, I'll be thrilled.

7. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Seeing Red" April 24, 2014

Oliver has to stop Roy! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Seeing Red"
    Wednesday, April 24, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    ROY SPINS OUT OF CONTROL — The mirakuru sends Roy (Colton Haynes) into an uncontrollable rage and he unleashes on the city. After Roy's deadly fight with a police officer, Oliver (Stephen Amell) realizes the mirakuru has taken over Roy completely and must figure out a way to stop him. Things get more complicated after Sara (Caity Lotz) declares that Roy is too far gone and the only way to stop him is to kill him. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) believes she can breakthrough to Roy so she goes on camera at Moira's (Susanna Thompson) campaign rally to lure him to Verdant. Her ploy works but after Roy attacks Thea, Team Arrow unleashes on him.

8. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

Wow what an episode! Just when Moira is about to finally open up, BANG! I didn't see this coming and for a moment I thought she was gonna make and then Slade pulls the sword. Poor Olie and Thea.

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

When Moira told Ollie that she knew he was Arrow I had a suspicion that she was being set up to kick the bucket. But I was still shocked when it happened. The last five minutes of this episode were incredibly intense. When Slade ran her through with that sword my jaw dropped. I thought for a second the show was going to go for broke and have Thea killed. Such a great episode and I cannot wait for next week already.

10. Lighthammer

Lol --- totally feels good when I make a prediction like this and I'm dead on.

I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean ALL the other characters are safe this season, but supposedly there was only supposed to be one big death this season.

It was certainly neat seeing Ollie and Moria rekindled an understanding with one another right at the end and Thea WAS coming around.

I suppose the biggest looming question is: What was Moria's big reveal about Merlyn going to be ?

11. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

Could it just have been that he was the Dark Archer and that he is involved with the League of Assassins? Or something like that. Actually, is it common knowledge that Malcom was the Dark Archer?

12. Lighthammer

I seem to think that that wouldn't have been a big enough reveal. Sure, it would have helped Thea, but I think this would have been more of information she knew was new to Ollie since the episode established Moria knew he was the Arrow.

I almost expect the seasons end game will have Malcom sweeping in to take Thea under his wing now that Moria is dead.

In that line of thinking; maybe the big reveal was going to be that Malcom wanted Thea in his life or something along that vein.

13. purplehairedwonder

Staff Member Moderator

I assume it was that he's still alive.

I was really enjoying this episode until the end. I just... I have a huge problem with the death of female characters for the sake of manpain. The sole narrative purpose of Shado's death was to make Oliver and Slade enemies. Manpain. This scene deliberately paralleled that, by Slade's design, and now Oliver will angst more. It may be a genre convention, but only a couple of minutes before they'd flipped the trope of the man leaving the woman because he's bad for her with Sara leaving Oliver. And generally this show does well by its female characters, so this whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth.

Admittedly, Moira was one of the most expendable characters this season; I thought she was going to die as soon as she and Oliver reconciled, so I'm glad we got to see her a bit longer than that -- and get the reveal she knew Oliver was the Arrow. But I hated the setup. While I appreciate that she, unlike Shado, had agency in the end, I just can't get behind the deliberate paralleling of those scenes and the message that sends.

14. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well . . . that was an unexpected turn of events. Not sure I liked it very much, either. My initial reaction is that it feels a little too much like shock value more than anything else. Did Joss Whedon write this episode by any chance? Otherwise, I thought it was a great episode with Roy on the rampage, and was enjoying it a lot up until then.

And yeah, Moira's secret about Malcolm most likely that he was still alive.

15. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I think Moira was about to reveal Malcolm is still alive. She was the only one who knew that.

16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought she would die saving Thea from Roy. The Slade stuff really caught me off guard. I'm feeling really eager to see Ollie put an end to this already. I already hated when Slade started going after Moira and Thea, and this was definitely the point of no return. Looks like Ollie's seen the deaths of both his parents, and with his luck, Thea will probably place all the blame on him. That has to be a tough place to be in.

17. Lighthammer

I finally got a chance to rewatch this week's episode and I think I'm going to lock in my prediction here:

Before the end of the season (possibly as soon as next episode), Merlyn will be back for Thea and will depart with him at some point before the end of this season. During the break, Merlyn will train Thea and she'll be back sometime during season 3 as a well established archer.

The other questions I have for the remainder of the season aren't as clear for the remainder of the season, but other things I'm considering just now:

- Will Ollie get Queen Consolidated back by the end of the season? I think there's a high-ish probably he'll be able to convince the board that Isabel Rochev went mad with power.

- Where did Sara go? We've been teased that Ra's Al Gul will make an appearance before the end. I suspect her departure has something to do with this.

- Will Slade be "redeemed" before the end of the season? I tend to think there's a high probably that before the end, Slade and Ollie will make some sort of amends where they aren't "friends", but maybe still "brothers". If Ra's Al Gul arrives, I think this will be the flashpoint to bury the hatchet, at least in the here and now.

I'm looking forward to next episode because its probably going to give us a lot of insight on where Laurel and Isabel's characters are going for the remainder of the season. I truly don't expect Laurel to take up the or a costume before the end, but it seems clear she's going after Brother Blood.

I suppose the last question I have to ponder is it was suggest a few weeks ago the Suicide Squad would be back this season. I don't think we'll be seeing them this coming episode but I think by the end of the episode, Diggle might just approach ARGUS for help.

18. accookies

accookies Member

This was a episode I enjoyed a lot. The flashback through me for a loop at first but it made me understand moria and her actions just a little bit more. Slade killing moria didn't surprise much because usually when a show makes you like someone then they are usually going to die

19. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"City of Blood" April 30, 2014

New Arrow. Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "City of Blood"
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    OLIVER CONSIDERS HIS OPTIONS AGAINST SLADE — After Slade (Manu Bennett) threatens to take everything Oliver (Stephen Amell) loves away, Oliver decides the fastest way to stop further bloodshed is to surrender to his enemy. Knowing that surrender will surely lead to Oliver’s death, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) go to extreme measures to keep Oliver from confronting Slade. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) considers leaving town, and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) resumes her crusade against Sebastian Blood (guest star Kevin Alejandro). Finally, Slade unleashes his assault on Starling City.

20. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

A really good episode that leaves pretty much everyone hanging. Everyone is stuck in a precarious position and the flashback hasn't been concluded. It seems like these last few episodes are divided up more like a big epic multi-parter or big movie. That being said it was still a great episode and I'm definitely interested in seeing how this all plays out for the next couple weeks. One thing I like about this show is that it's willing to let heroes fail like when the Glades were destroyed at the end of last season so I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that happen here with this season.