1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Oct 8, 2014.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

It's the season premiere of Arrow, tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

'Like' Arrow on Facebook
    'Follow' Arrow on Twitter

[​IMG]
    "The Calm"
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    With crime in Starling City at an all-time low thanks to Team Arrow, Oliver thinks he can finally balance being both the Arrow and Oliver Queen and asks Felicity out on a date.

Season One talkback
    Season Two talkback

CWTV.com/Arrow

"If half the stories I have heard about Ra's Al Ghul are true, we will all pay."

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Spoilers for those who live on the West Coast!

That was a great season opener! Nice to see this show back and firing on all cylinders. I think the thing everyone will be talking about without question is the death of Sara. That was a heartbreaking way to end the episode. Just wow. Just a jaw-dropping moment. I am sure we'll see her in flashbacks but wow, that was a shock. It clearly wasn't Merlyn or Ra's. Maybe Komodo who is supposed to appear this season?

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Was not expecting that. They really hammered it home, too, just in case ONE person watching thought she might live through it. Not only is Black Canary not the love interest this go-round, she's dead. This show is blazing its own trail now! I don't know what to expect next. Which is a good thing.

And so much Felicity! I'm very pleased with how much they've listened to feedback. Felicity has so much more visible chemistry with Ollie than Laurel does, which is what the fans have been pointing out for quite a while now. Sometimes when it comes to these things, the producers ignore the fans to the bitter end.
    "YOU CAN'T HAVE CHLOE, CLARK HAS TO FAWN FOR LANA."
    "TED WAS MEANT FOR ROBIN ALL ALONG, IT MAKES SENSE, SHUT UP."
    "NO, YOU TAKE YOUR LAUREL-OLLIE AND LIKE IT." It's such a relief we don't have to suffer this nonsense yet again.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

They bring her back just to bump her off? :(
    And not a Lazarus Pit in sight.

5. accookies

accookies Member

Great start to the season. I thought they would have waited to kill off Sara but all in all a great start to another good season

6. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

I'm going to be the optimist here.

I suspect there might be some kind of foil they'll play on later where we find Sara set this up to get out of the League again.

If this ends up being true (which I admit, its shaky ground) then I don't expect we'll see this thread played out till the end of the season or next season.

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

She looked pretty dead to me.

8. Rabbitearsblog

I was shocked that they killed off Sara so early in the season! It makes me wonder how the Arrow team will handle this situation and what this will lead to. I bet that Laurel will become the next Black Canary after this!

9. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Ugh, so mad. I can't even joy the Olicity storyline from the episode because I'm mad. I don't need Laurel to be the Black Canary, though the writing has been on the wall for ages, but even then, did Sara really need to die for that to happen? Laurel has already lost her boyfriend and she doesn't need more drive to want to help people, so the move just strikes me as lazy writing. Sara is also the third significant female character to die since mid season 2. I used to really think Arrow did right by its ladies, but the pattern that's beginning to emerge is really not pretty.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well... it does provide Laurel an impetus to become more skilled and competent in combat, and a reason to take up the mantle to honor her sister's memory and do good under her codename. Sure she's always willing to help people, but this might be what drives her to finally do it as a vigilante and acting more like Dinah is in the comics. You have a point about the bad trend of female characters dying off on the show, but we have Katana (not that she's done much yet), Laurel possibly becoming Black Canary, and Mia getting trained by Merlyn to look forward to, so I don't think it's all that bad :sweat:.

It was nice seeing the new dynamics on Team Arrow with Roy as Arsenal in the fold, and the latter's live-action debut in costume and team-up with Arrow was pretty awesome :D.

Definitely looking forward to seeing Arrow and Arsenal together in the field more, and so far they look to be a pretty effective team. Roy's also seemed to mellow out a lot, and the way he and Felicity defused that bomb was pretty cool ;).

Looks like Lance is cemented as Arrow's Commissioner Gordon now that he's a captain, though obviously with an immense desire to get back in the field again despite his poor physical health. Now that he's dismantled the Vigilante task force and publicly approved of the Arrow, it'll be interesting to see the new police dynamic play out this season :).

As much as Diggle is an integral part of Team Arrow, and in helping Oliver as both a teammate and a friend, I can understand why Oliver would bench him. Diggle now has a family counting on him being their as a father and a lover, something the rest of Team Arrow doesn't have. And with Roy now going out with Oliver in the field, there's more luxury in letting him go. I do hope things work out with Diggle's family, even if I can see something pulling him back into the "service" :ack:.

The new Count Vertigo... was okay. He was an effective and efficient antagonist, but I was hoping he'd actually have powers instead of just having an improved version of The Count's original product that makes it act more like Fear Toxin. I'm surprised Arrow actually managed to catch him by the end of the episode, since I expected him to be a recurring antagonist, though I guess he could always break out of prison. It's quite a coincidence though that both Count's have come close to killing Felicity. Though, honestly, his speech at the end about how there'll always be a Count Vertigo came off less like the words of an archenemy or major villain and more like an annoyance that will keep pestering Arrow season after season :p.

I was kinda worried that they'd write Ray more like Ted Kord, since the original plan was to use him, and while there was some of that there I thought he had plenty of the attitude I associate more with the former or at least that's what I got from Brandon Routh's performance. Though his using Felicity to steamroll Oliver over his company was definitely a jerk move. It'll be interesting to see if Oliver is going to keep fighting for his company, and how Ray's journey to becoming the Atom.

I admit, his reveal of his plans to rebuild Starling into Star City kinda left my mouth agape. It's been said that this is the season where Arrow finally becomes Green Arrow, and it's fitting that his city should take its proper name as well. Not to mention we get a new Trick Arrow with the... web arrow, I think? Also, that fold-up of Arrow's bow looked a lot cooler than it usually does :cool:.

11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Sara" October 15, 2014

Another archer arrives! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Sara"
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Lance calls the Arrow when another archer appears in town and starts skewering businessmen. Diggle uses A.R.G.U.S. to find the archer's identity; Komodo.

12. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It was very cool to see Komodo but I thought the resolution to his storyline was anti-climactic. However it seems like Sara's death will be an ongoing subplot for the season. However the best scene in the entire episode had to be that short scene between Ollie and Diggle where Ollie tells him he doesn't want to die down here. Amell absolutely nailed that scene. The little tease at the end with Thea and Merlyn has me really excited about next week's episode.

13. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still angry about Sara's death, but man this episode was heartbreaking. I was a wreck after the scene at her grave. I was pretty sure Diggle and Lyla would name their baby Sara, but it was still a really lovely moment. Actually, I just really loved how solid and supportive Diggle was in this episode; everyone else was falling apart in various ways and he was there.

I hope Sara's death isn't kept from Lance for too long. The longer it goes, the worse it's going to be when he does find out.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

To be frank, if they'd killed Laurel, nothing of value would have been lost.

....Maybe that's the problem; it wouldn't have made enough of an impact.

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So Komodo isn't the killer... and Merlyn's been training Thea all this time, so I doubt it was him. Unless he got word that Sara was sent by Ra's to find him, and made a pre-emptive strike against her. But that wouldn't really explain why Sara was so surprised and off guard when she saw him, so I think it's probably not Dark Archer. Aside from that, not a very big list of suspects left :ack:.

As for Komodo himself... well, he was an effective antagonist and certainly gave Oliver a run for his money, but I was expecting a little more from him. Lacroix seemed like an interesting guy once he started talking, so hopefully he makes a return later in the season ;).

His final fight with Arrow and Arsenal at Queen/Palmer Industries was pretty great though :D.

Also, is it just me, or did the Arrow-Cycle look more green in this episode :sweat:?

Considering how integral and major Sara was to Team Arrow, it only makes sense that her death would take a big toll. Oliver was left unable to grieve for the lover whom he'd never been able to get proper resolution with, and now never will, all for the sake of the rest of the team. And now, after beginning to believe he couldn't be Oliver Queen anymore, Oliver finally realizes that he doesn't want to give himself to the crusade so much that he ends up dying alone and in the Arrowcave :(.

The stress of Sara's death, and seeing how Oliver had to deal with it, has also seemed to have caused Felicity to begin rethinking what she wants to do with her life and led her into the fold of Ray Palmer who still swings from being a lovable jerk to a lovable nice guy :shrug:.

Diggle has always been an awesome bro, but he went above and beyond here, coming back to the team to help support them through Sara's death and being there for Oliver when he really needed someone. While Arsenal will probably remain the main field partner for Arrow, Diggle being there as both backup and as a backbone for the team will probably be even more crucial. It was also very heartwarming of him and Lyla to name their daughter after Sara :).

Tommy in the flashback was also an awesome bro, going all the way to Hong Kong because of the possibility that Oliver might still be alive. It was just really nice to see Tommy again. And I guess that was the first time Oliver used the "Arrow-voice," or at least what it's like without the vocoder?

Sara's death seems to have effected Laurel in the worst way possible, barely able to control her emotions and coming close to breaking down now that she's lost her sister again and seen her die in right in front of her eyes. All the more reason to take lessons to toughen herself up, both to make her a stronger person and to put her on the path of inheriting her sister's identity and becoming Black Canary. Well, likely minus the fishnets, but at least she'll probably have the jacket :p.

Now that I think about it though, shouldn't someone tell Sin that Sara's dead? That seems like something Roy should do, plus he could use a love interest now that Thea probably wants nothing to do with him and might end up becoming a Super Villain.

16. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

They mentioned that Cupid would be appearing in this season. Perhaps she's the killer, and they plan to explain her archery skills by making her tied to the League (which would explain why Sara knew who the killer was before they shot her).

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

First look at Nick Tarabay as Captain Boomerang:

[​IMG]

18. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought about Sin as well, and I'd really like to see her back, but it looks as though the actress is a lead on Mtv's Scream, so she might have been busy.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Vinnie Jones will be playing Brick, who'll become a major antagonist in episodes 10-12

.Vinnie Jones Joins ARROW Cast As Villain Danny

I guess I wasn't that off when I said in the news thread that this season of Arrow might have the most actual Green Arrow villains showing up :sweat:.

20. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Corto Maltese" October 22, 2014

Where in the world is Thea Queen?! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Corto Maltese"
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Oliver decides it’s time for Thea to come back to Starling City, so he packs for Corto Maltese, where Felicity has traced Thea’s whereabouts.