1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I was not expecting Tommy to die. I was expecting him to be like Harry Osborn and eventually follow in his fathers foot steps as a villain.

I like the two plots but the flashbacks could be placed better.

2. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

I'm on the fence about the island flashbacks.

I think its cool seeing the back story and I would agree its better when they fit the story. Though I would disagree the flashbacks are distracting from the story; the writers do seem to try to line them up on some level with what's going on. They certainly aren't always successful though and sometimes its really distracting.

I don't think they're bad just now, I just think they need to get better with their usage.

3. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Arrow: Year One

Right now, The CW is presenting a special look at the first season of Arrow in advance of next week's season premiere.

[​IMG]
    "Arrow: Year One"
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    This one-hour special gives fans a chance to catch up on the incredible events that led billionaire Oliver Queen to secretly create the persona of Arrow and an exclusive look at season 2.

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I don't want to be spoiled so that's why I don't post in the S2 thread. It airs in English with Dutch subtitles on Veronica, but this channel isn't available in Belgium. We can only watch it on TF1 or La Deux with awful French voices (Je m'appelle Olivère Queen!), so I had to wait until November 13th for the dvd set :shrug:

Anyway, it was worth waiting for. I've really enjoyed it, but I do have two remarks.
    -Colton Haynes could have done a better job preforming Roy Harpor. He was a bit annoying actually and this is said by a guy with Red Arrow as nickname...
    -The flashbacks were great, I really liked them. But after a few episodes, they had really no connection with the present. I still loved those flashbacks, but (if there's no connection) they should have placed them better in order to make it more fluently. Acting like there actually is a connection, is pretty dull.

''The villain of the week'' wasn't that annoying, but I can get why others do hate this. But it's still the first season, so I think there will appear harder villains soon.

For the rest, I really don't get this criticism. I think people just doesn't like it because it's not 101% the same as the comic books. It made sense that he's had some ''adventures'' on the island. It's also understandable that he wanted revenge. He's indeed no hero, but I think he will become one in the second season. (or maybe later on)

I think this season more focussed on Oliver's ''character analysis''. I'm aware of the fact that this term doesn't excist in English, but I don't know how to say it in another way. Oliver was a real jerk at the beginning of the series (I don't mind if protagonists are jerks, BTW), but he has become less mean in every episode. Now he listens to the advise of his friends (more or less) and he wants to hear what Felicity and Thea has to say. He has also ceased to pretend he's a rich playboy, after Laurel told him she knew it was all fake. He's more and more a hero. (In the beginning he only wanted to kill those people from the list) I really like this character analysis. If somebody knows the English term for this, say it please!

I will watch Year One soon, just to see some things from season 2. And I hope I don't have to wait again so long for the DVD releases of the second season.

EDIT: Am I the only one who doesn't want to see Felicity as Oliver's girlfriend? She's awesome (my favorite character), but that doesn't mean she has to have a relationship with the protagonist, right? :/

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't like Haynes at all in season one, but he's won me over in season two so far. I feel he's improved a good deal.

Funny enough, one of the producers just recently addressed this. He noted that many times in season one, the flashbacks were largely unconnected to the present, and that is something they looked toward fixing in season two. And so far in the second season, they have begun to do that more and more, with events in the present paralleling or recalling some of Oliver's experiences on the island. I really disliked the flashbacks in season one because of their seemingly random nature, but if they continue to integrate them more as they've been doing now, they won't bother me as much.

6. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Thanks for saying. That's good to know :)

Well, they did make a connection in the very first episodes. But then they suddenly stopped with that... :shrug: I'm glad they will fix this in the second season!

Veronica has made an interview with Stephen Amell. You can find 9 short videos on YouTube. It's not very special (Dutch people can ask pretty stupid questions XD) but it's interesting to know what their plan was for season two.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Feel the same way. I don't see anything good happening for her as his love interest.

8. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I ship Olicity like FedEx, but neither of them are remotely ready for what a relationship in their complicated situation would entail. Definite slow burn territory.