1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"The Huntress Returns" March 20, 2013

[​IMG]
    "The Huntress Returns"
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    EDM MEGASTAR STEVE AOKI OPENS OLIVER’S NEW NIGHTCLUB — With his nightclub set to open and a new romance brewing with McKenna (guest star Janina Gavankar), Oliver is as happy as he’s been since returning to Starling City. But when Oliver’s ex, The Huntress (guest star Jessica De Gouw), suddenly returns to town, she threatens to destroy everything and everyone he cares about. Meanwhile, Laurel and her father struggle with the return of Dinah Lance (guest star Alex Kingston) who claims she has proof Sara is still alive. Thea gets Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) a job at Oliver’s club, but he’s not too inclined to stop his life of crime. Oliver and Tommy are thrilled they were able to get Steve Aoki to play at the opening of their new nightclub, Verdant. David Ramsey and Susanna Thompson also star. Guy Bee directed the episode written by Jake Coburn & Lana Cho.

2. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

This was certainly a good episode all around, though I am a bit sad Huntress has pretty officially become so psycho. I had hoped she evolve more as anti-hero not someone that gets into the mix and messes everything up so completely out of spite. She just doesn't have ANY redeemable qualities anymore.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm surprised Huntress went off the deep end. Sure in the comics she has no problems killing criminals, but she never harms an innocent and is definitely not that unhinged or without remorse.

I love the irony of Detective Lance giving Huntress her name. It only remains to be seen if Helena will use it again in the future.

Roy is actually pretty decent fighter. Considering how he's being upgraded to a season regular for season 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver takes him up as a partner like in the comics. Though would sidekicks not fit with the show's "dark and edgy" feel?

I'm surprised McKenna got taken out of the show so quickly. It makes me wonder if the entire point of her having a relationship with Oliver was so that she could get taken out and leave Oliver with nothing but guilt. I feel it's a much a waste as getting rid of Laurel's friend from her office. But hey, at least she's going to Coast City, home of none other than Green Lantern! If she ever comes back, I hope they'll be at least a reference to either Green Lantern or Hal Jordan. He's never going to appear, but it wouldn't hurt to get a passing mention.

If the fight with Huntress at the end of the episode should teach Oliver anything, it's that he needs more trick arrows. If he wants to claim that he only kills as a last resort, he should probably use less sharp arrows and more knockout gas or net arrows. If he had a knockout gas arrow, Huntress would not have been a problem.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

If I just tried to kill someone who knew my superhero identity, and failed, and they ran off....I wouldn't just lie there; just saying. What does she have to lose anymore? By all rights she should blab her head off.

"The Huntress! She's.....gradually getting away!"
    "Don't worry! I have a feeling we'll be doing battle again....each and every week!"

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Really hope Speedy's purse snatcher does not become a bigger part of the show. (Honestly thought that would just be a one-off character.) I don't really like him, although that could just be because the actor playing him is so annoying.

And it was just bizarre seeing Alex Kingston without her using her native accent. Haha! I'm so used to her as Dr. Corday from E.R.

6. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he's going to be a major part of the show. That's Roy Harper aka the first Speedy. yeah his actor is the problem.

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, okay. I pretty much know nothing about the comic book world of Green Arrow, so I've never been sure who's from the comics and who's original to the show. I see now that he's the actor who was recently upgraded to a regular for Season 2, so hopefully the actor improves. I didn't mind his first appearance when I thought he'd be a one-off, but in this week's episode there was nothing about him that I liked, and I remember thinking to myself, "I hope we're not going to be seeing more of this guy."

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Salvation" March 27, 2013

[​IMG]
    "Salvation"
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    OLIVER MUST SAVE ROY HARPER FROM A MURDERER — An angry resident of The Glades who calls himself “The Savior” (guest star Christopher Redman) embarks on a kidnapping and killing spree to punish those he believes have wronged the residents of his neighborhood. To make things worse, he broadcasts these murders online and claims he was inspired by Arrow’s vigilantism. Oliver is horrified by this statement and vows to stop “The Savior,” but his manhunt in intensified after Thea comes to him in tears and tells him Roy (guest star Colton Haynes) has been kidnapped. Laurel is surprised when her father starts to believe her mother’s (guest star Alex Kingston) claim that Sara is still alive. Meanwhile, Malcom tells Moira to find the person responsible for his attempted murder. David Ramsey and Colin Donnell also star. Nick Copus directed the episode written by Drew Z. Greenberg & Wendy Mericle.

9. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Unfinished Business" April 3, 2013

[​IMG]
    "Unfinished Business"
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    GUEST STAR SETH GABLE (“FRINGE”) RETURNS AS THE COUNT — When a young woman meets a violent death after partying at Verdant, Detective Lance and his new partner, Detective Hilton (guest star Roger Cross) inform Oliver and Tommy that she was on the drug Vertigo. Oliver immediately pays a visit to the mental institution where The Count (guest star Gabel) is locked up, but finds he is in no condition to deal drugs. However, when The Count escapes and Starling City is flooded with even more Vertigo-related violence, Oliver and Diggle make it their mission to track him down. After Detective Lance uncovers incriminating evidence against him, Tommy goes to great lengths to clear his name, and the fallout from his actions leads Tommy down a new, unexpected path. In a flashback to the island, Oliver recalls the lessons he learned from Slade (guest star Manu Bennett) and Shado (guest star Celina Jade). Katie Cassidy and Emily Bett Rickards also star. Michael Offer directed the episode written by Bryan Q. Miller & Lindsey Allen.

10. Lighthammer

Huh, I do have to admit, the episodes are getting better as the season continues. I am getting a little closer to declaring I like this series as opposed to my previous view of "still can't decide, but I am watching".

There's some real good plot elements moving along here; though, I am a bit sad we didn't see Roy this episode. It kind of felt like after last episode he might have been lining himself up to join the "team" --- I expecting more story line to that end this episode.

11. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

New episodes of Arrow are back on Wednesday evening! Stephen Amell's been hyping them up as usual on Twitter and Facebook, but as Lighthammer mentioned, it sounds like the quality of episodes will continue to improve from here.

12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Home Invasion" April 24, 2013

[​IMG]
    "Home Invasion"
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    DEADSHOT FIRES OFF A NEW ROUND IN STARLING CITY — Deadshot (guest star Michael Rowe) returns to Starling City after taking down a U.S. Ambassador and six others overseas. By keeping tabs on A.R.G.U.S.’s manhunt for the assassin, Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity (guest star Emily Bett Rickards) learn that a sting operation is underway to capture Deadshot – alive. Diggle is determined to see his brother’s killer dead, with or without Ollie’s help. Meanwhile, Laurel takes drastic steps to protect a young witness, exacerbating friction between Tommy and Oliver. Later, Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) unconventionally pursues all leads to find his new hero, but runs afoul of Detective Lance. Back on the island, Oliver recalls how Shado (guest star Celina Jade) helped him incrementally gain confidence with a bow and hit the target for the first time. Willa Holland and Susanna Thompson also star. Manu Bennett, Byron Mann and Audrey Marie Anderson guest star. Ken Fink directed the episode written by Ben Sokolowski & Beth Schwartz.

13. Lighthammer

WHOA this episode was great this week. Easily the best of the season (though needing the rest of the season for it's impact).

- Diggle is going his own way and who knows what that means for this character since he's absolutely original.

- Tommy is leaving the Queen scene entirely: does this mean he's going down the road to be Oliver's enemy?

- Laurel is no doubt going to run back into the arms of Ollie and from what Tommy said; she would be very accepting of him being Green Arrow. Does this means he's going down the path to be Black Canary? We already know she can fight pretty well (at the least).

- Harper is set out to be part of Ollie's band of vigilantes and it looks like Thea is tagging along.

Man --- lots of plot evolved here. This almost felt like enough plot evolution to be a series finale though there's still three more episodes to go this season. All three of the upcoming episodes sound like they could be big, big plot elements.

14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Undertaking" May 1, 2013

[​IMG]
    "The Undertaking"
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    WITH A LEAD ON WALTER’S WHEREABOUTS, OLIVER GAMBLES ON FELICITY IN THE FIELD — Finding it difficult to mend fences with Tommy and Diggle, Oliver instead focuses on crossing another name off the list. While digging through a crooked accountant’s laptop, Felicity (guest star Emily Bett Rickards) discovers a transaction that could help Oliver find Walter. To reconfirm the lead, Oliver gambles that Felicity can be counted on in the field for the first time. In a flashback, Malcolm (guest star John Barrowman) reveals to Robert Queen (guest star Jamey Sheridan) and Frank Chen (guest star Chin Han) painful details surrounding his wife’s murder, and how that shaped his plans for the Glades. Meanwhile, Tommy stuns Laurel with the truth. Willa Holland and Susanna Thompson also star. Michael Schultz directed the episode written by Jake Coburn & Lana Cho.

15. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" May 8, 2013

It's the last Arrow episode before the season finale, tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Darkness on the Edge of Town"
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    CAN OLIVER OUTWIT OR OUTFIGHT THE DARK ARCHER TO SAVE THE CITY? — With the Undertaking days away, Malcolm (guest star John Barrowman) dons his black hood to conclude business with seismologist Dr. Brion Markov (guest star Eric Floyd) and his team. Oliver and Moira entertain a number of surprise – and mostly unwelcome – visitors. Hooded confrontations at home and the Meryln Global Group reveal dark secrets. Meanwhile, Roy (guest star Colton Haynes) and Thea are still looking out for a hero. Laurel makes a decision after Tommy’s revelation. In a flashback to the island, Oliver, Slade (guest star Manu Bennett) and Shado (guest star Celina Jade) struggle to prevent Fyers (guest star Sebastian Dunn) from shooting a Ferris Air jet out of the sky. Paul Blackthorne and David Ramsey also star. Roger Cross and Bryon Mann also guest star. John Behring directed the episode written by Drew Z. Greenberg & Wendy Mericle.

16. Lighthammer

So holy monkey --- if Tommy doesn't become a villain after that --- whoa

I'm seriously, way to make legit business with semi-X best friend to gain legit access to enemy territory only to back peddle and make said semi-X best friend feel like a fool. This is some serious 90210 story telling going on >.<

Before getting past the shock value of that one, does anyone else feel like this episode and last episode almost felt like two different episodes stitched together. I mean each "episode" was good in its own right, but it just felt like I was watching two 30 minute episodes back to back rather than 1 60 minute episode. The only reason its remotely a complaint is it feels like the episode is wrapping up then *BOOM* --- more is going on. Contrasting to earlier episodes when the story was winding down for the end of the episode, you knew the episode was ending. The last two, I felt "tricked" most of the way through each of those episodes.

In other "plotness":

- Moira is really in a bind now but hopefully its coming to an end; I just hope this isn't a sign of something reckless coming up. It is noteworthy that Walter Steele runs Queen Consolidated on Olies behalf in several comic versions. It makes me think we could be seeing the tidings of a situation where Moira will end up dying; either through saving Olie or other. I kind of hope it doesn't come to that, but it will make for a dramatic ending. As the viewer, we know if she rides it out, there will be a happy ending (most likely), but for her, right now, it probably looks like the end of her road and if her proverbial life is end, she's probably thinking it may as well be a honorable death.

- Roy Harper --- man did they miss a really potentially awesome line with him. When he said (paraphrasing) "Someone close to me died before and they aren't coming back --- I can't let someone else I care about die too" they could have made that more profoundly impacting by saying "Someone close to me died before and they aren't coming back --- I can't let someone else I care about like you die too". I think they missed a really great line there. I think at this point its pretty obvious Roy is gonna be in the mix of saving Ollie, but how. I hope it's not a lame attempt to shove him in >.<

- That seems like an interesting throw away line for Felicity. I wonder where that's going. I have a hard time believing its going to play a critical role now. She's not a very well established character in DC and its really hard to see where TPTB is going with her character. I mean in theory, after they stop Merlin, she's done with crime fighting and it seems that Ollie seems to feel like he is too. The end obviously isn't going to be that easy. I think the question is --- is something next week going to cause them to stay in the biz or is something between seasons or at the beginning of next season going to cause it. Given the need for a "Speedy training montage", something is going to have to happen to keep the hero biz going at the season conclusion so there's a reason for Roy to take on the mantle of Speedy / Red Arrow / Arsenal / Whatever-else-he-ends-up-being.

- Diggle --- Man this character still drives me nuts. I just don't know where they are going with this character. Unlike Felicity though, he doesn't serve a "behind the scenes" role --- he's practically a straight up crime fighter. It would be one thing if he evolved as "Ops Manager" if say Ollie, Roy, Laurel and Thea all emerge as heroes early next season. I keep wondering if TPTB have plans to use him as another lesser known character too or simply kill him off for the finale.

17. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Sacrifice" Season Finale May 15, 2013

[​IMG]
    "Sacrifice" - Season Finale
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    HEROES ARE FORGED AND SACRIFICES MADE IN THIS EPIC SEASON FINALE — Oliver and Diggle race to stop the Dark Archer from unleashing his vengeance on The Glades. However, they run into a roadblock after Detective Lance picks up Felicity for questioning. Tommy and Oliver’s already tumultuous relationship takes a turn for the worse after Oliver makes a confession about Laurel. After hearing of the danger in The Glades, Thea races to find Roy, inadvertently putting herself directly in the line of fire for Malcolm’s devious plan. On the island, Oliver, Slade and Shado (guest star Celina Jade) are locked in a life-or-death struggle against Fyers (guest star Sebastian Dunn) as his missiles lock on a full Ferris Air jetliner. Susanna Thompson also stars. David Barrett directed the episode with the teleplay written by Marc Guggenheim & Andrew Kreisberg and story by Greg Berlanti.

18. Lighthammer

I really have to admit, I could see this episode going a few ways and thats what made this episode fun, really.

- I expected Walter to be the guy to piece things together and make the announcement Moira did.

- I really didn't expect them to follow up on the Felicity hacking ties but we see why now.

- I expected Ollie to tell his mom who he was.

- When Ollie saw Laurel last, I was expecting him to tell her who he was finally (too) and expected Laurel would INSIST on confronting Malcolm and Tommy with Ollie in some sort of pseudo Black Canary costume.

- I expected Moira to die by the hands Malcolm Merlyn but I don't know exactly how. After SHE made the announcement, I expected a hitman to kill her.

- When Tommy confronted his dad, I expected him to say "I understand why you're doing this" and join him, at least in some sense.

- I didn't expect Tommy's mom to REALLY (at least to the best of our knowledge) be dead.

- I expected Roy was going to link up with Detective Lance enroute to the machine and somehow protect / help him.

- I NEVER expected Detective Lance to be suspended or pull a "James Gordon" (per Batman Begins). I have to admit, I really did expect him to die when he called his daughter.

- By this point, I expected this episode to turn into a "passing the torch episode" sort of episode where Malcolm, Moira, Quentin and maybe Diggle would die.

- When Diggle and Ollie confronted Malcolm, I expected to see Diggle finally in some sort of hero-esque costume. It does seem more and more like he's taking on the "Arsonal" role.

- I didn't expect Malcolm to have a second device (great twist).

- I expected Felicity to confess her undying love to Ollie when it seemed like the building was going down (and maybe have it get garbled).

- I didn't expect for a second Tommy would save Laurel and seemingly die.

- I didn't expect Fyer to die. That --- erp --- lets talk about that after we know what else happens on the island. They only covered a few months out of 5 years (and I hope thats not all they're covering).

- I expected Roy to do more --- something --- ANYTHING to get noticed by Ollie as a good, decent kid.

This episode was a rollercoaster and I'll have to admit, I have to sit on it see how I feel about it. I enjoyed watching it lots. I might feel a little different after I break down some of the events.

I think its obvious Deahtstroke and Shado work into the plot down the road, but I do muchly finding myself wondering how. Just now it seems like the three kind of have a "League of Light" (contrapositive to the League of Shadows, if that's not obvious) going which doesn't fit several of the character's traditional history.

19. RedSpur

RedSpur Member

The speacial efx were really good. The buildings collapsing really added to the story. EFX aren't always this good in Superhero shows, but Arrow is getting it done. This was a great episode. The Dark Archer is GANGSTER!!!

20. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, that was epic! Action-packed, intense and a little sad. I was expecting Diggle would be the one to die. Never suspected Tommy. I'm sad to see him go. :(

The special effects of the buildings collapsing weren't too bad but could have been a lot better. It's always annoying when shows stretch beyond their budgets, and it's the always the effects work where it's most noticeable. The show's pretty popular, so I would have thought they could have gotten a slightly higher budget than usual being it was the season finale and all.

But still, overall I though it was a terrific finale.

Unfortunately, the producers have confirmed they've planned at least five seasons worth of flashbacks. I say unfortunately because, frankly, I'm not a fan of that part of the show. I don't find that whole storyline anywhere as engaging as the rest of the show, and at times haven't even been sure exactly what's going on. Besides taking away the mystery of Oliver's time on the island, I find their usage distracting. Usually, flashbacks are triggered by something in the present, but here, for the most part, they are basically just randomly inserted. I like when flashbacks sort of parallel the present story and compliment it in some way, but it's like two different shows that are just inner-cutting their scenes together. It's annoying and the only real complaint I have about the series.