1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Another good episode of Arrow, as Oliver and Diggle's partnership is put to the test.

Ha! They finally called it the Arrow Cave.

It looks like Merlyn/Dark Archer's main motivation in whatever he has planned for the city is the death of his wife. It's no wonder he's a better fighter than Oliver, traveling and training around the world will pretty much always give you an edge over a guy whose only combat training came from experience on an Island. In that regard Merlyn's like Batman, going through all that training to avenge a loved one. It doesn't change the fact that he's manipulative, a bad father, and all around not a pleasant guy, but it does put him in a different light.

Oh Thea, if only you knew how wrong you were... things would be a lot simpler if Moira was just cheating. Now I want Thea to be the first person to discover Moira's secret just to see the look on her face at the revelation.

How ironic that the day after she turns 18, Thea gets arrested. I doubt the charges are going to go away as easily as they did when she was just a teenager. She's legally an adult now, and has to finally face the consequences of her frequent drug use. Maybe a night in jail and having to deal with it in court will give her a much needed attitude adjustment and hopefully Moira won't just use her influence to try and keep Thea's record clean. I doubt Oliver would let that happen.

I have to wonder if they're going anywhere with Diggle and his sister-in-law. Ted pointing out that she likes him hopefully has some purpose in the grand scheme of things. I can see the sister-in-law keeping Diggle, and thereby Oliver, in check from doing anything crazy or going off the deep end. Though Oliver's much closer to the edge than Diggle is.

I really like the Oliver and Diggle relationship so I'm glad that the two seemed to grow closer together after their spat over trust and Oliver's obsession with the list. Sorry Tommy, but Their the real bromance of this show. Though I wonder how much their dynamic will be effected once Roy Harper arrives.

I'm still enjoying Arrow, and I can't wait for next week as Green Arrow finally takes on Count Vertigo!

2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

So wait Count Vertigo is going to be a drug dealer who sells a drug called Vertigo? Okay. I don't know how I feel about that but I will wait and see.

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked seeing Oliver and Dig put into conflict, and once the episode progressed, I was actually surprised to see it turn out that Oliver had been right all along. I loved Dig's little moment at the end: "You guys are forgetting one thing. I'm the one with the grenade launcher." Haha!! I was also wondering if the Black Hawk company was supposed to be a reinvention, because I know there's a DC comic called Blackhawk, although I'm unfamiliar with it.

This has become my favorite new show this season. It's just great to have an actual action series to watch again, with fights and shootouts and explosions. I hope it sticks around for at least awhile.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Vertigo" January 30, 2013

Arrow offered their take on another DC villain tonight on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Vertigo"
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    SETH GABEL (“FRINGE”) GUEST STARS WHILE THEA FACES PRISON TIME — Thea is in trouble with the police after she gets caught using a drug called “Vertigo.” Oliver thinks the only way to keep her out of jail is to find the dealer, a man who goes by the name of “The Count” (guest star Seth Gabel). Oliver turns to McKenna Hall (guest star Janina Gavankar), an old flame and current Vice cop, for help. Meanwhile, Laurel steps in to defend Thea, and Felicity (guest star Emily Bett Rickards) gives Oliver some disturbing news about Moira. David Ramsey, Colin Donnell and Paul Blackthorne also star. Wendey Stanzler directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Ben Sokolowski.

5. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

arrows official arch enemy at least in the comics finally appears
    it took half a season but this show is finally growing some legs

6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Betrayal" February 6, 2013

Arrow is on right now.

[​IMG]
    "Betrayal"
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    DAVID ANDERS (“ONCE UPON A TIME,” “THE VAMPIRE DIARIES”) GUEST STARS — Cyrus Vanch, a nefarious criminal, is recently released from prison and intends to re-secure his position as leader of the underworld. His first step is to take down his biggest opponent in the city – Arrow. Meanwhile, Oliver shows Moira his father’s notebook and questions her about the names on the list. Thea is miserable as she starts her internship with Laurel at the legal aid office and Detective Lance makes a deadly mistake that puts Laurel in the crosshairs of Vanch. David Ramsey and Colin Donnell also star. Guy Bee directed the episode written by Lana Cho & Beth Schwartz.

7. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

Really been enjoying this series. Next episode should be cool too, with Felicity being let in on things. I like her.

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Odyssey" February 13, 2013

Good news, Arrow fans. The CW has announced that the series has been renewed for season two.

[​IMG]
    "The Odyssey"
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    MANU BENNETT (“SPARTACUS”) GUEST STARS AS SLADE WILSON — After Oliver is shot, he turns to a surprising person for help – Felicity. Diggle is stunned when he sees Felicity walk through the front door of the lair dragging a dying Oliver behind her, and the two team up to save Oliver’s life. As Oliver hovers between life and death, he flashes back to a seminal event on the island – a daring escape attempt with his new friend Slade Wilson (guest star Manu Bennett). Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland, Paul Blackthorne and Susanna Thompson also star. John Behring directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim.

9. Dragnatek

Okay so the other Deathstroke is this show's version of Wintergreen. Yeah that's fine, Slade can't be evil yet, not until Oliver's training is over.

I like that Felicity is in on Oliver's secret now. I have a feeling what while she does not want to help Oliver and Diggle she will keep being dragged in. Sorry Girl but you are going to be more then just an IT girl.

10. EroSennin

EroSennin The Frog Hermit

Anyone else notice the prisoner in the cage during the Slade/Wintergreen fight? I wonder if it will turn out to be another big character.

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Especially since they just announced she was being bumped up to a series regular for Season 2. :)

12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Dodger" February 20, 2013

Roy Harper showed up in Starling City tonight.

[​IMG]
    "Dodger"
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    COLTON HAYNES (“TEEN WOLF”) GUEST STARS AS ROY HARPER — Felicity tells Oliver he’s all work and no play, so she asks Detective McKenna (guest star Janina Gavankar) on a date. A jewel thief named Dodger (guest star James Callis) hits Starling City and targets someone very close to Oliver. Meanwhile, while working with Laurel, Thea gets her purse stolen by a very fast pickpocket named Roy Harper (guest star Haynes). Moira makes a move against Malcom. Colin Donnell and Paul Blackthorne also star. Eagle Egilsson directed the episode written by Beth Schwartz.

13. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

Wasn't too impressed with the characterization of Roy Harper... He was kinda dirtbag-like...

I liked the other parts of the episode however, Oliver and Diggle work great as always plus the addition of Felicity makes it even better. Oliver's flashback was not as important as last episode but that's okay. The love-lives of Oliver and Diggle were interesting enough, and the Dodger was an okay villain.

I'm excited to see where Roy Harper evolves from here, so here's hoping he's in the next episode and he's actually likeable!!

14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Dead to Rights" February 27, 2013

Deadshot is back!

[​IMG]
    "Dead to Rights"
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    DEADSHOT RETURNS — Oliver and Diggle learn that Deadshot (guest star Michael Rowe) is still alive and his next target is Malcom. Malcom invites Tommy to attend a benefit honoring Malcom for his work with Starling City but Tommy refuses to attend. Oliver encourages his friend to mend his relationship with his father while he can. Meanwhile, Oliver struggles to balance his new relationship with McKenna and his duties as Arrow. Katie Cassidy, Paul Blackthorne and Susanna Thompson also star. Glen Winter directed the episode written by Geoff Johns.

15. Dragnatek

And the theme of how Oliver get's his allies continues. Oliver only lets people in on his secret when someone is dying. It's happened three times (With a variation of Oliver being the one dying the second time) now. At least they are not going with the over used "convenient memory loss" thing that Smallville was known for. Also this will probably lead to Tommy becoming a villain in a later season after his father is out of the picture. Also something tells me Tommy is going to be the one that comes up with the name Green Arrow.

I knew Deadshot was not killed in his first appearance because no body was fond. Also since Arrow keeps preventing him from completing his jobs I think it's going to become personal soon.

16. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

You know, I'd like to get some feedback on this line of thought:

In so far, I've seen every Arrow episode (generally) on the night of the premier and now after 16 episodes I'm still sitting back and not REALLY sure what to think of this series. There's a lot of series that I'll feel like this through episode 5, then things finally really start to click and the series either gets good or is very obviously on its way to the can.

Arrow --- I just can't decide if I like it or not yet. The series is borrowing mythos from other series, which is fine, but it feels like they're under utilized and worse yet, it feels like each of the MAJOR villians he's encountered so far have went from mega bad ass in other media's incarnations to the villain of the week in this series.

Vertigo felt all kinds out of place, Fire Fly was exceptionally weak, Deadshot felt anti-climatic used in the earlier episode and under utilized in the recent one and that Huntress mini-arch we had going felt like it was building to something really cool and just kind of died.

I hate to say it, but the last series I felt like this about was Knight Rider 2009 and we all know what happened to that series =(.

Does anyone else feel the same way at this point ?

17. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've simply been enjoying it. I know pretty much nothing about the comic book source, so I can't compare the characters to it. I got the impression that the Huntress will be back, though. I don't mind "villain of the week," as frankly I prefer that to shows that are so arc-driven you feel lost if you miss one episode. There is an arc, but it feels better balanced than most shows with an overreaching arc. If I had one complaint, it's that I am getting a little tired of the island flashbacks. Hopefully that story will be wrapped up by the end of the season and we won't have to worry about it in the next. Otherwise, as just an action-oriented TV show (since, like I said, I'm unable to compare it to the source), it's been my favorite new series this season.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I admit that, while I do enjoy the series, I echo your complaints.

When they say they're bringing in a character from the comics, I get excited to see them in live action, only to be ultimately disappointed by their debut. This is especially true for the villains, who only have a bare minimum connection to there comic counterparts and seem to be nothing more than fodder for Green Arrow to kill. Firefly, Vertigo, and the Royal Flush Gang are the worst offenders of this so far.

There are a few exceptions though. I think Deadshot is being used effectively, especially now that he's back in action as a returning villain. And Merlyn is pretty awesome. Slade may be a different nationality, but he's still Slade. Though I'll be disappointed if he never puts the mask on.

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just read that an upcoming episode is titled "The Huntress Returns." So clearly they're not done with her. :)

20. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

Honestly, I really liked their spin on the Huntress; I just had hoped they'd push the story with her a lot further. It would have been really cool if Huntress became a prominent character for a good number of episodes (like 6+) where it's seen by outsiders that Ollie is "hanging out with the wrong people" and make for an interesting wedge drive between his real life friends and his masked crony friends. It felt like the direction they were pushing towards had so much potentially only to end before it began. Heck, it could have had a very "Huntress" double cross towards the end of said proposed arch where she back stabbed Ollie in some way, but not necessarily in a mean way. After a fashion, she does take a lot of attitude from the original source material of Huntress (that is being the daughter of Batman and Cat Woman in the Silver age versus being the daughter of a crime boss in the Bronze age).

I don't know about anyone else, but it really feels like their dancing around with Speedy. Speedy is obviously best well known as Roy Harper, but Thea (the one who takes the Speedy nick name in the series) is also known as the crime fighter Speedy at one point; though THAT Thea isn't related to Ollie.