1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 7, 2015.

1. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

Andy's death should have been handled much better because John shooting him was not really that shocking because Andy played the role of an d-bag really well, so in a lot of ways, he got it coming. Going back to back to a scene earlier this season where Darhk was able to control people because of pills that he had given his army, this would have been an opportunity to show that Andy was struggling against Darhk's control. In so doing, John having to shoot his brother would have been more impactful because it would have been Andy's final wish to protect his brother by having John shoot him.

This season has fallen short. Season 1 and 2 are still the highlight of the series so far. Throughout the season, Darhk could have ended the lives of many of the Arrow team on several occasions but did not do so which makes no sense. It's another mis-step from the show runners which has continued from season 3. Even if season 4 ends well, it does not make up for the mediocrity of the entire season. I hope season 5 will get back to form.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Monument Point" May 11, 2016

Brick is back! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Monument Point"
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When Team Arrow learns what Damien Darhk’s next move is, Felicity realizes she needs to ask her father, Noah Kuttler, for help.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Alrighty. A couple weeks ago I considered the possibility that time travel by the Flash or Legends of Tomorrow gang would stop Laurel from getting killed and foil Darhk's plan. This week I consider the possibility that magic will be used to "un do" everything, or be used to time travel. Considering that Team Arrow failed to stop a nuke, I can't imagine a Russian nuke detonating on US soil be something that will be "ignored" for the rest of the series, or easily wrapped up at the season's end.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's only now that they're bothering to explain Merlyn's new robot hand :confused:?

Wow, Felicity got booted out of the company as unceremoniously as Oliver was in season 2. I guess it is really hard to balance running a company while managing a Superhero career (even if Bruce Wayne always makes it look easy), though Dennis always seemed to have it out for Felicity from the start. I wonder what this means for PalmerTech and it becoming SmoakTech in the future :ack:?

Felicity and Calculator sneaking into Curtis' lab reminded me that we haven't seen him since he discovered Team Arrow's identities. I wonder if he'll reappear and contribute anything in the finale? He probably could have helped quite a bit here :sweat:.

While I guess I understand where Donna was coming from in having Lance be open and proud of knowing his daughter was the Black Canary rather then just lying about it to keep his job, I really have to wonder where he's going to go from here now that he's probably completely lost his job at the SCPD. Is he just going to do Diggle's thing from season 3 where he primarily drives everybody around and is another hand with a gun when they need it? Maybe he should run for mayor ;)?

I was surprised to see Brick here, along with Murmur, as part of HIVE's enforcers. I'm almost surprised Count Vertigo didn't turn up along with them (that might've been fun). At least Ollie finally got to fight him, though Brick seemed a heck of a lot more agile and skilled then he did in season 3 o_O.

It was nice to see Calculator back, and his dynamic with Felicity was really fun to watch. It's interesting to see him reflecting on how he wishes he could've been a better father and husband to his family, despite being an unrepentant criminal and manipulator, and it really seems like he genuinely cares about Felicity :).

Though the last time we saw Noah, he was being arrested by Lance...so how did he escape custody? Was he part of the Iron Heights breakout and I just didn't catch them mentioning that?

Heh. Oliver takes offense to the president thinking he wears a "Halloween Costume" :p.

Poor Alex. He was completely oblivious to Thea's double-life, gets brainwashed, and then killed by a Yandere Anarky. I always thought he was a nice, smart, guy who, while probably never able to replace Roy in thea's life, seemed to really like her and kill her. And now that's gotten him killed :(.

Wow. HIVE was actually successful in nuking a populated area, even if Felicity was able to redirect the missile so it hit a less populated are, but thousands still died. And with all those deaths Darhk now has even more power then he had before. Green Arrow is going to need a lot of hope if he's going to have any chance of stopping Darhk :eek:.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Seeing as this was the first time I'd seen Brick on the show, I notice he was rebooted from his comics appearance.

In the books, Brick wasn't a British white guy. Brick is short for Brickwell, his last name. IIRC, he was African-American and a metahuman, nigh indestructible.

Murmur's more of a Flash villain, not a GA villain, but, whatever.

Nuking a city like this reminds me of the nuking of Coast City in the comics more than 20 years ago, which made Hal Jordan go berserk and become possessed by Parallax.

Calculator returns and becomes a comedy character. It's almost as if Tom Amandes tried to channel any number of sitcoms in order to add some depth to Noah. Just can't be sure of which, though.

6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Lost in the Flood" May 18, 2016

Final episode before the season finale! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Lost in the Flood"
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Following the shocking events in the previous episode, Oliver and Diggle race to rescue Thea, while Felicity, Curtis and Noah join together to stop Darhk.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

She really should have expected that guy to try a takeover like this. It seems like her guard was down and she thought things were hunky dory at the company. She definitely needed a Lucius Fox or Pepper Potts to help with the day to day stuff. The only person in her corner seems to be Curtis and he's just all about the tech development.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Green Arrow and Spartan running through the neighborhood while fending off HIVE was a really cool scene. It's always awesome to see just Ollie and Diggle together and kicking butt and taking names. Brings back fond memories of the good old days :cool:.

Though that reminds me that Ollie could probably use his other partner right about now, given how dire things are and how Team Arrow is already a member down. I thought Colton Haynes was going to come back for at least one more episode this season, but I guess that's not the case :(.

Even with his new hand, Merlyn still walks around like his arm is in a cast, which I assume is because his body presumably still feels like it's missing a limb o_O.

Ah, the classic "sidekick gets brainwashed and then fights their partner" plot. I was kind of worried Oliver wouldn't be able to get through to Thea for a second there. And I guess this is the closest we'll get to a proper "evil Thea" :p

I would probably have more sympathy for the willing volunteers for Genesis if I didn't know they were accepting a plan that would destroy the planet and hundreds of innocent life :mad:.

Curtis! Nice to finally have him back. And some fun family drama with the Smoaks and Curtis right in the middle of it all. While Noah may not be a good guy, he does seem to care about his family, so I can understand why he would accept Donna's request to leave so he didn't risk ruining Felicity's life :ack:.

If Brick and Murmur were surprise returns last episode, Brother Eye was an even bigger one. I'm a little shocked Komodo and Vertigo didn't make some cameos so we could round out the season 3 Rogues Gallery working for HIVE ;).

I can't say I felt bad for Ruve, because she pretty much deserved what happened to her, but at least in her final moments she made sure her daughter was safe and taken care of. As psychopathic and evil as the Darhk's can be, their love for each other is truly genuine.

Poor Alex. Oliver just mourns him for a second and then his body is probably buried under a ton of rubble :sad:.

I wonder what they're going to do about the daughter? Put her up for adoption? Have Donna and Lance take care of her? After everything she's been through at this point, and losing her parents, I'd be shocked if she isn't immensely traumatized for life. Though it would be interesting to see her current feelings for the Green Arrow after he helped save her.

If Oliver is finally willing to break his code to kill Darhk for Laurel's death, and he also holds Merlyn responsible and regrets just cutting off his hand in their last encounter, I'd say Malcolm's days would've been numbered if Team Arrow didn't need to get the people in the ark to safety. I don't think Ollie is going to be as willing to let Merlyn go so easily the next time they meet :eek:.

I'm surprised that it looks like Anarky is going to survive into season 5. I guess that's more trouble for Thea to deal with. Ollie must be really kicking himself for letting Lonnie go before :rolleyes:.

Ah, are we losing another Arrowcave? Poor thing didn't even survive one season :crying:.

Now Darhk has lost his wife and possibly his daughter and doesn't even care about Genesis anymore. All he wants is to see the world burn and Oliver made to suffer.

9. hobbyfan

Just watched it online earlier on the CW site. Meh.

I think we can all safely agree that Arrow needs new writers. Not only that, but they need to start creating shorter story arcs. If you have a 22-24 episode season, for example, a realistic arc would be 8-10 episodes, allowing for 2-3 arcs a season, and not one long, tiresome season-long deal that leads to poorly contrived plot twists, as we've seen. I for one am getting tired of them.

Gotham split their season into two halves rather nicely, although the writing left a lot to be desired there, too. Way more liberties taken with established characters than in the "Arrowverse".

Merlyn drugging Thea to use her against Ollie was predictable, and of course it failed. It was meant to fail.

Hmmmph. Anarky. Another Batman villain co-opted for this show. I think Brick's the only legit GA villain used on this show, and he was established just a few years ago (One Year Later).

And I think it's safe to say Damien is getting his next week. But, then, who's the new mayor of Star City with Ruva gone?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Are we talking this season alone, or across the entire series? Because this season also has Merlyn and Cupid.

Lance would probably do a good job as mayor :).

11. hobbyfan

Forgot about Merlyn's history, and Cupid is another recent creation that I hadn't seen in the books.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Schism" Season Finale May 25, 2016

Season finale! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Schism" - Season Finale
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Oliver teams up with a surprising force in an attempt to stop Damien Darhk and his magic once and for all.

13. hobbyfan

"Surprising force"? If by that you mean Merlyn, that wasn't a surprise after last week. Please. Give me a break.

I think we all knew Dahrk was getting his, and he was killed the same way he killed Laurel. Poetic justice.

So everyone goes their separate ways, though there'll be a full reunion, methinks, by the time we reconvene in October. Ollie finally gets to be Mayor (which he was in the comics for a while). One wonders, though, if there'll be a residual effect from what's happening over on The Flash..........

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. Team Arrow, at least as we know it, is basically done :eek:.

Thea's retiring as Speedy, though at least it seems like she's sticking around in the city so we'll still see her. I really wonder if she can just give up crimefighting and getting into the action for that long, but we'll see :sweat:.

Diggle, Oliver's partner from the very beginning and the backbone of the team, is retiring and apparently going back into the military to some degree. The scene where Oliver acknowledges how long he's had Diggle and how long he's needing him, and Dig pointing out how the dynamic has reverse this season, was nice :anime:.

Lance is leaving the city to have some domestic bliss with Donna. Comedy relief in season 5 perhaps ;)?

Laurel's obviously dead, barring any sudden resurrections or Black Siren coming to Star City.

It's going to be interesting to see what it's like with Oliver back as a solo hero, since he hasn't been one in a really, really long time, even if obviously Felicity is still there as Overwatch, but she's not field operative. Not to mention he's now finally the mayor of Star City, which is an additional major responsibility on top of his vigilante work.

But please...please don't go back to Olicity now that they're the only two members of the group left. Please :crying:.

I wonder if next season will primarily focus on Oliver still in Star City with the occasional glimpse into what the rest of the cast is doing, or if we'll be following their subplots concurrently with Oliver's main plot? I'm curious to see how long the team can stay retired and out of the vigilante life o_O.

Honestly, I wouldn't be against Roy coming back as a regular just so we can get some more of Green Arrow and Arsenal busting bad guys' heads in Star City at least keep Team Arrow as a trinity. Ollie and Roy together was one of the best parts of season 3 :proud:.

And I guess now there's an opening for Curtis to join Team Arrow, if he wants to. I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't resolve that storyline of Felicity getting booted from PalmerTech, which means Curtis is now our only connection to the company that was once Queen Consolidated.

Jeez Thea, I know desperate times call for desperate measures, but threatening a kid is pretty hardcore, even if she does seem to be a little...off. I wonder what they did with Darhk's daughter after his death? Somehow I think that little girl could be a budding Supervillain in the making, even if she's probably just an innocent in the end :ack:.

I know Team Arrow was desperate for help but...letting Merlyn join up without batting an eye? After everything he's done? After Laurel's death? Seriously :mad:!?

And to make matters worse, they probably just let Malcolm go like they always do. I'll be counting the episodes until that comes back and bites them like it always does. Merlyn's still probably holding his grudge against Ollie so I doubt he'll stay away for too long :rolleyes:.

Is this the first time we've ever heard baby Sara speak?

Nice speech Oliver :).

Green Arrow and Darhk's final fight was...okay. I think they've had better fights, better choreography, and it wasn't as climactic as I was hoping it would be, especially compared to Flash's fight with Zoom last night, but it was satisfying to see Ollie run an arrow thorough Darhk like he did to Laurel. Also cool seeing the people rallying behind the Green Arrow :cool:.

The season 4 flashbacks are finally over, and I can't say I'll miss them. The flashbacks are still the weakest part of the show, and have been since season 3, but I honestly had less interest in the flashbacks this season then I did in season 3. Maybe because season 3 had Katana, Waller, and past characters, and I liked Oliver and Maseo's dynamic, but I just wasn't feeling much of the season 4 flashbacks (aside from the Constantine appearance). Hopefully season 5's flashbacks and Anatoli's likely return will shake things up a bit :rolleyes2:.

I was hoping we would at least see Waller again in the flashbacks, so that was a nice surprise, which I honestly can't believe I'm saying given who we're talking about :p.

The Slab? Seems like it's been repurposed as an Argus holding facility for special and deadly objects. Curious to see how that might play into season 5, which, honestly, we don't seem to have that much of good idea what to expect from it, at least compared to going from season 3 to season 4.