1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 7, 2015.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Before anybody discusses this episode, I should point out something important.

Any discussion on whose name is on the gravestone at the end of the episode is completely pointless, because.....

THE PRODUCERS DON'T KNOW WHO IT IS EITHER!

So don't look for "clues" just yet. Also, that's a terrible way to write.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Arrow NYCC trailer is here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

late comment for episode 1.

The suburban life for Oliver and Felocity certainly didn't last very long. We all fully expected Oliver to return to Starling City, but for me, I was expecting at least 3 episodes before his return. With Oliver coming back in the first episode, I don't think the audience really feels the impact of his leaving the city. Maybe we might get flashbacks of the team struggling without Oliver's presence, but I think it might have been more effective showing those struggles in the first episode, especially.

I'm also not a big fan of Diggle's helmet. I kind of seems like a poor design in terms of looks.

I liked Speedy/Red Arrow's "side effect" of having died and revived via the Lazarus Pit last season. It's good that it wasn't without repercussions.

Damian Darkh seems like a good villain. Although he seems to have "supernatural" powers which kind of elevates the series from slightly grounded to a little more fantastical, I am fine with the change in direction of the series.

5. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Candidate" October 14, 2015

New Arrow! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "The Candidate"
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When an old family friend, Jessica Danforth, tells Oliver and Thea that she is going to run for mayor, both are concerned considering the last three mayors have been murdered.

6. oranthal

Episode 2 - Candidate

7 of 9 (Jessica Danforth) wants to be mayor. The last 3 mayors of Star City apparently don't live very long. But in the end, she withdrawals after her daughter is kidnapped.

Damian Darkh - in D&D terms, is he lawful evil?

Oliver - parkour returns! A future in politics.

Thea - the resurrection is definitely having an effect on her. Case in point, when 7 of 9 was announcing her candidacy for mayor, shots were fired and Thea volunteers to track down the shooter. In other words, she is out for blood!

In another scene, Thea's breaks the arm of a person who may know information that would help with their investigation.

In yet another scene, she lights someone on fire.

Felicity - being CEO is not easy. Employees being fired is unfortunately a reality for some. It can be necessary to prolong the life of a company that employs many others. However, she manages to rehire most if not all the people she fired. I didn't particularly like this quick turn around where this was fixed neatly at the end of the episode.

Diggle - he has been investigating Hive for two years because they were responsible for the death of John's brother. That's cool that they keeping things connected with the past. I still don't like his mask. The show runners can do much better.

Lance - what is the connection with him and Darkh?

Laurel and Thea go grave robbing and will be taking a road trip together. And then, the A HA moment.

Another solid episode and will be looking forward to the next episode

7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Is this all for Ryan's character? Her appearance was really hyped this season and is that it. I do like the nod to the comics of Queen running for Mayor. I never expected this show to go for it. The season is doing so really well too. Hopefully they keep the Ra's stuff from last season to a minimum as I don't want that to drag down this show this season. We'll get a few episodes and hopefully that will be it. I'll admit I'm excited to see Sarah coming back and that reveal at the end of the episode of her body in the coffin was excellent.

And I also wonder who's going to die this season. I'm sure, despite saying otherwise, they know which character will not make it to the end of the season. That seems like a good way to deflect months and months of "who's dying" questions. And even if they don't, that's fine. I'm sure it'll be an organic decision as the season moves along. The producers said they have a five-year plan for the show and as they enter the fourth year I'm sure they're starting to bring things together.

About the flashbacks, if Ollie is found all ragged and bearded at the start of the show on the island, he has to get there really fast given what is going on in the flashbacks now.

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Restoration" October 21, 2015

Conflict and lives on the line! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Restoration"
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    The growing tension between Oliver and Diggle puts both their lives at risk when they go after Damien Darhk and a H.I.V.E. deployed meta-human.

9. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

It seems Arrow is suffering from Marvelitis. These past few episodes have been so hamstrung by the need to set up Legends of Tomorrow that's it's really taking a toll on the quality. I can't wait for that to be over so Arrow can get back to it's season 2 form.

Anyways, I'm almost positive it's Thea that's gonna end up in that grave. Even though the producers supposedly don't even know I doubt it would be Felicity. Given Barry's relationship with her I doubt be would of shown up late and been all "meh that's sucks". I'm just counting down the days till Constantine shows up

10. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

These past few ep remind me of the nosedive in quality that is s3.
    This show destroyed Diggle and Ollie's comradery over an insipid feud and got them back together just like that o_O.
    Felicity is still bordering on a better-looking Jar Jar Binks. Laurel has become barely-a-character (we can really do more with this rookie Black Canary than just have her beaten so often and so easily ~I was wrong to think that Nyssa training would develop its own arc spanning several ep~). Bring back Tommy Merlyn, while they're in the business of reviving fan-favorites (except now they need to concoct/intro another maguffin).
    And worst of all, how Ollie transitioned into the "Green" Arrow is one of the biggest load of contrived bs I have had to watch on this show.

Marc Guggenheim needs to go OR he should not be left alone to shepherd this.

The only outright good thing going for this season is Damien Darhk.
    The villains, in general, are still a delight.

11. oranthal

Arrow season 4 episode 3 - Restoration

The setup for Legends of Tomorrow is obvious but I am not bothered by it; it seems fun for me to see the creation of LoT. It can really compare this season to how good season 2 was, but I am still entertained by the episodes from this season, and I think they are blending the set up for LoT along with Arrow's story arch well.

I haven't given the "who's in the grave?" much thought, but I like your reasoning that it would Thea.

I never caught an episode of Constantine when it aired, but I too am looking forward to his appearance on Arrow. Supposedly, him showing up on Arrow may not be a one time event.

I also don’t like that Diggle has not been a more prominent character. The comradery between himself and Oliver was so good in season 1 but was almost non-existent in season 2 and 3. In terms of this season so far, I'm glad to see Diggle is finally in good terms again with Oliver.

I have been always kind of so-so about Felicity. Her quirkiness is a tad distracting and feels forced in most occasions. I understand that she adds a light heartedness to an otherwise serious show, but I feel it misses the mark a majority of the time.

I really don't see the difference between Arrow and Green Arrow. Maybe the distinction will become more apparent as the season progresses.

Thea - A reunion of sorts between her and Merlyn. And Merlyn is a twisted dude. He tells Thea to give in to her bloodlust and only then will she be "cared" in short term. I think he wants to groom Thea to essentially work form him full time because fathers want what is best for their daughters.

Laurel - Sara is back after being revived by the Lazarus Pit even though everyone including Nyssa think this is a bad idea. Sara's resurrection is another prelude to LoT, but this would mean Sara has been "revived" 3 times. Her death is starting to not mean anything.

No mention of Oliver's political aspirations nor detective Lance's connection with Darhk in the episode.

12. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Diggle more than anyone else should be front and center, this season, since he's the only one who'd have a reason to seek out the Hive. Det. Lance, as well, because he's that involved for w/e reason.
    The quirkiness I was fine with, it's the "Mary Sue"-like and "convenient for the plot" traits that have bugged me to no end.
    That's pretty much the issue. I have a strong feeling that distinction won't be addressed because it was barely there on the onset (he wasn't even the "wise-cracking" type that so many fans felt was a much-needed change, which he shouldn't be because of all these dire events taking place).

13. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Are they though? Having Laurels character growth get crapped on for the sake of having Sara return before December hardly seems like good story telling, but rather like a show that has it's own masters to serve. Obviously the payoff here will be worth it but it sucks that the shows quality is getting dragged through the mudd.

14. oranthal

Laurel does seem to be taken a back seat often, but I'm kind of okay with it for now because I am looking forward to LoT, so I suppose my feelings on the matter is a bit skewed.

15. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Beyond Redemption" October 28, 2015

Arrow, right now! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Beyond Redemption"
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Laurel must deal with the repercussions of taking Sara to Nanda Parbat. Meanwhile, Oliver asks Captain Lance for a favor.

16. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Looking forward to tonight's episode.
    John Constantine is in the house. :cool:

17. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Haunted" November 4, 2015

Constantine! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Haunted"
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When things take a turn for the worse with Sara, Oliver calls in a favor from an old friend who deals in the mystical, John Constantine.

18. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

ZOMG, what an awesome episode! Didn't care much for the Sarah Lance plot, mainly cause to be honest I ain't much a fan of this rendition of the character, Dinah Lance. But Constantine being present in the same continuity as Arrow and Flash more than made up for it!

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Well, this is a sad reminder that John's own series isn't on video :(.

20. oranthal

Arrow season 2 episode 5 - Haunted

Constantine! - He shows up in the flashback and the present time. I am completely new to Constantine, but his inclusion in this episode was well done. He plays a crucial part in returning Sara's soul back to her. I hope he appears again later this season.

Sara - Her resurrection would have been cool, but she was already "killed" by Thea last season, so she is essentially brought back to life twice. I don't feel that wow factor from her resurrection. What was neat was Sara is hunting Thea because she was the one that killed her, so Sara's first two victims looked like Thea.

Detective Lance - First, he explains himself to Oliver regarding his connection with Darkh in last week's episode which was an awesome scene, then in this week's episode, he is explaining himself to Diggle because Darkh is connected to HIVE which was responsible for Diggle's brother's death. And, Diggle's brother might not have been completely a straight arrow (pun intended).