1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Arrow" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 5, 2016.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's a kind of a funny dynamic that this episode focused so much on moving forward while at the same time harkening and referencing so much to the past, or in this case season 1. We have more brutal action sequences, Lance as an alcoholic, Oliver bringing up the times he escaped Diggle's watch, a little more emphasis on the duality of Ollie's identity again, the Green Arrow putting down bad guys permanently without problem, and Oliver snapping a guy's neck to protect his identity :eek:.

So Oliver's regressed back into Hood/Arrow mode, to where he's far more brutal, shooting arrows into wannabe vigilante's legs, and being willing to kill again. So much for the Green Arrow becoming the more heroic and inspirational figure The Arrow never could be, and Oliver not wanting to be that person anymore, and no longer honoring Tommy's memory :(.

And Ollie's also far more determined to be a vigilante again, once again to the detriment of his civilian life, which is especially inconvenient now that he has a job that forces him to keep face with the public and actually really work to maintain his secret identity again :rolleyes2:.

Speaking of regressions, Lance has not only broken up with Donna, but also fallen off the wagon, which was really depressing to see. Though at least Oliver, and the memory of Laurel, inspired him to get out of his funk and pretty much rejoin Team Arrow. So at least Ollie's got Lance back :).

It was nice seeing Oliver finally take down Lonnie, but it felt weird not having Speedy there to help take care of him given the rivalry they had in season 4. Though I guess going after Anarky would've been the last thing to pull Thea out of her resistance to donning her costume again. And Oliver finally got to make up for his screw-up last season :rolleyes:.

So are we to assume, from that police sketch, that Chase is already Vigilante at this point? Or is that just a genuine tease o_O?

Oliver and Felicity's dynamic is so much better when they're not each other's love interest :anime:.

While the memorial to Black Canary was well-deserved and heartwarming, I do kinda feel bad that Laurel now always be remembered for that bondage gear costume :sweat:.

Man, I missed Anatoly on this show :p.

That parachute arrow :D.

Michael Dorn as Prometheus? Sweet :cool:.

I can't help but think it's deliberate that we have Oliver going back on his code against killing when the new Big Bad is supposedly related to someone who he put down during his more kill-happy days as The Hood.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I've decided to drop Arrow from my view list because it never learns from its mistakes. They killed the only appealing relationship in the show by overcooking it to death; they don't know what they're doing. Case in point, I hear they're still putting flashbacks in it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Wached it last night on the CW website. Thea's not on the team again---yet. Give her time, she will be. She is easy on the eyes, after all.

Prometheus' costume is a knock-off of Green Arrow's? Wasn't that way in the books, although this might not be the same Prometheus that Grant Morrison created for his JLA run 20 years ago.

Felicity has a new love. That won't last, unless they can find someone else for Ollie to fall for......

The structure of this show does need to change, starting with getting rid of the excessive flashbacks. 3-4 of those in each episode is too much, although that has its roots, IIRC, with Kung Fu back in the 70's. I wonder if that was Berlanti's inspiration........

5. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

There is a big change to Diggle on FLASH tonight.

6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Green Arrow too intense?! (Answer: All signs point to yes.) Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "The Recruits"
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Green Arrow's training methods prove to be too much for Curtis, Wild Dog and Evelyn Sharp to handle.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now we have the new Arrow intro, I wonder if we'll finally get the new Flash intro next week:)?

So it seems Diggle went back to the military to find some semblance of order in his life after he killed Andy, looking for a more black and white (relatively speaking) life of a soldier then that of a vigilante. Too bad he ended up finding the same brand of corruption he knew in Star City in his platoon, with the ever recognizable Gary Chalk as the ringleader :ack:.

Wild Dog seems like your typical "punk with a heart of gold" who rebels against authority :rolleyes:.

Evelyn seems younger then even Roy and Thea were when they started out. I wonder how old she is relative to Wally and Jesse o_O?

I guess Oliver forgot that he only really started to make headway training Roy after Roy learned who he was. Granted, Oliver was intentionally trying to keep some distance from the new team so he didn't get close to them, but he should've realized it wouldn't work :rolleyes2:.

I know Curtis had no way of knowing the context for why Team Arrow broke up, unless Felicity told him or he actually asked, but it really had nothing to do with Oliver or his methods and more to do with just not being able to take the vigilante life. Heck, the entire reason Roy left was so that he could help Ollie because of how much he felt he owed Oliver :(.

Ragman feels a little overpowered for a street-level Superhero team, but I imagine the fact that Felicity redirected the bomb that hit his city and made him who he is will be a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off this season. I did really like how they conveyed his look and powers though ;).

It kind of feels hypocritical seeing Ollie lecture someone on not being killer just an episode after he expressed his willingness to kill again and snapped a dude's neck. Then again, it's not exactly out-of-character given his treatment of Huntress in season 1 and his general flip-floppiness when it comes to who he's willing to kill :shrug:.

Felicity is so much more enjoyable when she and Oliver aren't pining for each other or dealing with relationship drama. Though she's also keeping secrets from her new boyfriend, which will probably end as well as they generally do when someone keeps a secret from her (which is, not well).

Jeez, Anatoly was involved in some nasty stuff :eek:.

I was hoping Lance was going to be getting back on the wagon after the events of the last episode, but hopefully Thea's (and Oliver's) support and appointing Quentin to Deputy Mayor will be able to get him back on track :anime:.

At least it's been 3 whole seasons since we had an Arrow Big Bad who was an archer/evil reflection of Oliver, since Dark Archer in season 1, compared to how frequent evil Speedsters are on The Flash. And Prometheus continues the recent trend of the Arrowverse of keeping the villain's identity concealed behind a mask and using a notable actor as their voice, from Tony Todd as Zoom, Steven Blum as Chronos, Tobin Bell as Dr. Alchemy, and now Michael Dorn as Prometheus :evil:.

8. hobbyfan

Missed the first 1/3 after coming home from Bible study. May just go back and rewatch on CW's site later.

Wild Dog looks a lot younger than he was in the books when he was introduced at the end of the 80s. I am going to do a search and fill in the blanks later.

@Frontier: How did you find out Michael Dorn would be the voice of Prometheus? Dorn's been doing a lot of voice work in recent years, and started with it while still on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine or Next Generation. When Prometheus was introduced in Grant Morrison's JLA 20 years ago, he didn't have the full face mask that now seems to be a requirement of the Berlanti-verse. Still not sure if it's the same character.

Edit: There have been three men to use the name Prometheus. The first was a Blue Beetle enemy in the 80's. The 2nd one was the Grant Morrison creation I referenced, and the 3rd was his successor. One of those two is being adapted into this season of Arrow.

All this Marvelesque drama suggests that Team Berlanti is better versed with Marvel than DC, and Guggenheim actually worked for Marvel at one time. If they don't turn things around soon, like, next week, they're going to be bleeding viewers, if you get my drift.

#8 hobbyfan, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm not liking the town that got nuked last season. I forgot about it until they brought it up with Ragman. The entire world looks to be carrying on as usual, and I get the feeling in the event a town on US soil ever got nuked, everyday life would noticeably change. So far the ramifications of Flashpoint seem to only affect the Flash (exception being Diggle now having a son), I wish Flashpoint stopped any US town from getting nuked. Now, if they just made the nuked town Coast City, I think I could have lived with that a little more.

10. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

So are you all sure Diggle's storyline isn't a flashback?

11. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Current day Ollie talked to Diggle while that storyline is taking place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Road to Gotham

Cool that RAGMAN made his Live-Action Debut on Yom Kippur. October 12th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Cody Rhodes guest stars! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "A Matter of Trust"
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Headstrong Wild Dog defies the Green Arrow’s orders and sets out on his own after a new drug dealer, Garret Runnels, who is terrorizing Star City.

14. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Funny you should say this, because if its one thing Arrow has proven in the past, is that it does learn from its mistakes. The flashbacks were a very small part of what was wrong with Arrow (truth be told, they have actually been really....really good this season) , rather, the show had a multitude of things wrong with it, and so far this season, it looks like they've course corrected. Season 5 is off to a great start, like, a surprising great start. The kind of start that tends to make fans come back. And they've managed to do it for three straight episodes. If I was being honest, I would argue that its actually a lot more compelling than Flash right now.

15. hobbyfan

Just finished watching on the CW site.

Cody Runnels as Derek Sampson was fine. Seems every other skel in town wants Tobias Church as much as Ollie does.

For those that don't know, Tobias Church isn't a made-for-TV villain. He's actually a reimagining of a Black Lightning foe, the albino Kingpin wanna-be, Tobias Whale. Nice to see he and Prometheus weren't in this episode. Diversity is fine, after all.

Looks like they gave Curtis face paint to wear as Mr. Terrific. Cool! Rory acted like he wasn't digging Felicity's apology. Hmmm, Rory's a little younger than he was in the books, too, and they're using the 90's origin for him to explain the rags.

My bro & his roomie hopped off the bandwagon, disappointed with the writing. Seems Crazy Guggenheim 2.0 and his team of scribblers need to do more research. Me? I'll settle for now.

Anyone want to guess when Thea will suit up again? It's not a question of if, kidz.

16. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

New Arrow! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Penance"
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Oliver and Lyla team up on a secret mission for Diggle. Felicity finds out and disapproves of the plan and opts to stay behind.

17. hobbyfan

Whoa! 4 days after the show airs, and I'm the first one to comment? Has everyone here jumped off the bandwagon?

Anyway, we can see how Ollie's mission, breaking out Diggle, will tie into attempting, at least, to rescue Wild Dog in the next episode.

Prediction: Thea will rejoin the team by the mid-season break. They are going to need her. Badly.

18. Road to Gotham

I wonder what the ratings will be for tonights episode with the Game 7 of the World Series and America's sweethearts the Cubs trying to win their 1st title since 1908? Probably not good. :eek:

Ragman has been my favorite addition to the team.

19. hobbyfan

I would appreciate the baseball games better in the postseason if they weren't so slowly paced. Like, let's stop with the chess game strategizing. Go old school!

Back to the topic at hand. The ratings will likely be a season-low.

20. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

So you're telling me there's a Chance! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Human Target"
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When Tobias Church captures and tortures one of Oliver’s new recruits, Oliver must turn to an old friend, Christopher Chance AKA the Human Target, for help.