Are We Ever Going to Get Some Earth-Based Stories from Green Lantern: TAS?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by GL Zeeguy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. GL Zeeguy

GL Zeeguy New Member

So, I've been liking the Green Lantern animated series very much. I love being able to watch the adaptation of my favorite superhero and his mythology on my TV screen every Saturday. However, one problem that I see in the plot is that Hal sorta just up and left everything back on Earth and doesn't look like he's going to be returning anytime soon. I know that the upcoming episode has Carol in it, but is that all we see of Hal's life back on Earth?? I may be grinding my gears over nothing, given that this is just the first arc, but I would just really love to see some of Hal's earthly villains, like Black Hand, Goldface, Sonar, Hector Hammond, or Dr. Polaris. Plus, there's the whole concern over how they're going to transition back to Earth, given that the animation is more suited to depicting surreal, alien types of environments. I should probably wait until the whole Red Lanterns business is over with though before I start asking these questions. Just have to wait and see, I guess. But, I want to get your guys' thoughts on the issue. Do you think we'll ever see a transition back to Earth and just focus on Hal's life (and superhero career) there?

2. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

This is something I think sometimes, but I know Bruce Timm has said in a few interviews, that Hal will return to Earth at some point or points in the season, so I assume it'll happen. But I don't mind the space focus so far, I think there are a lot of things that seem unconventional in this series, although I never followed GL in the comics. The team focus, its very much an ensemble team rather than straight focus on Hal, and its works, kinda like the space thing does.

So I think either way I'm sure it'll be great, based on what's aired so far.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I'd welcome some Earth-based stories as long as it serves the context of the story the staff wants to tell. But, we've had 30 years where Earth was the main focus of DC animation with a few stories set in space in comparison. Granted, Legion of Superheroes season two, a few series like JL/JLU and Batman: The Brave and The Bold, and the two Green Lantern animated movies propelled the narrative to space, I find it refreshing and interesting to take GL:TAS completely into space from the first episode. Even if it wasn't a case of being stranded in Frontier Space, we have to remember Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814, not the Green Lantern of Earth. It makes sense to me that most of the stories should take place in space. I'm more hoping we'll see more space stories and Earth stuff limited to opening teasers and the post title openers, which I find the villains you listed well-suited for.

4. TAS257

TAS257 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

It's been pretty much sussed out since late 2010 at least. I thought this thread was simply about fans wanting more Earth stories and less space stories or not.

6. TAS257

TAS257 New Member

Ah I see, sorry about that then.

TAS257

7. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Here's hoping that when/if Hal ever gets back to Earth he'll have team ups with the Flash/Barry Allen and Green Arrow/Oliver Queen.

8. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Well, there was a brief earth scene in "In Love and War", with Carol. It's better than nothing, right?

9. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

^^ What he said.

Coupled with the fact that Sinestro is NOT the primary antagonist for a change, I for one welcome this bold direction GLTAS has been taking.