1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Marvel Film & TV Rights Actually Divided Between Animation AND Live-Action?

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Mostezli, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I was discussing this somewhere else.

I figured when Disney attained the tv rights to Spider-man from Sony, they got to do whatever they wished as long as they didn't contradict the Spectacular Spider-Man IP rights. Having the Daily Bugle in USM does not.
    I later found out that Netflix Daredevil couldn't use the Daily Bugle after I completely glanced over that upon my viewing of it (not that interesting of an aspect on the show :sweat:).
    So, what the heck?
    If this is an actual deal, why?! And why hasn't Sony done anything with Spidey beyond animation? (slightly rhetorical, just me venting)

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Ultimate Spiderman and Agents of Smash had Wolverine. They just don't want to introduce characters they're not supposed to promote for there biggest money maker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The MCU TV model is fairly unique so there isn't a lot of precedent, but the Agents of SHIELD showrunners said that any characters belonging to a film franchise not belonging to marvel are off limits to the MCU TV department.

When Agents of SHIELD first began, some fans speculated that it could be a way for Marvel to essentially flip the middle finger to Sony and Fox by having characters from Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four appear (which would technically make them part of the MCU even if they can't be in the movies), but that's apparently not possible. Whether this is due to contracts or Marvel just not wanting to push the characters, is unknown. There's also the possibility that they don't want to provoke a potential lawsuit. The TV shows are after all, explicitly offshoots of the movie and take place in the same canon, so if Marvel tried something like slipping in Wolverine or Spider-Man, a lawyer could probably make a convincing case it about violating something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I think with the live-action shows being connected to the movies, there might be some provisions or rules that prevent Marvel from using X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man characters or concepts in something like Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows in-spite of Marvel having the TV rights/ Marvel having the TV rights why they're a part of the production for the new X-Men shows Fox is making.

The animation rights are a whole different beast since Marvel, in-spite of what some of their staff will say, do have the animation rights to the X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man. They just refrain from using FF characters or Mutants in favor of pushing characters and concepts they wholly own, aside from the occasional rare appearance from Wolverine, Doom, or The Thing in a cartoon. This could also play a part in what Marvel is doing with live-action shows, but it's probably most prominent with the cartoons.

So, as far as I can tell, the only divide in character or group rights is in regards to the films, while Marvel have the complete rights for everything else. But in certain respects, Fox and Sony still have some control over what Marvel can do with their live-action shows.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I'm pretty sure Sony and Fox only have control over what Marvel can do Frontier if they're having it be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Since all of Marvel's TV series, Neflix or ABC, live action fare connect to that, it's still playing within the time frame of the movies. Ergo whatever rules apply to the films apply to the show as I don't think Marvel is going to make a live action series now (at least for awhile) that they can't say in some way connects back to their films.

Honestly character rights for these shows to me are always ridiculous, animated or live action or not. Between the embaragos and certain limitations given and "we can mention that but can't mention one thing above that" and what not. Though yeah with the animated series for the most part they do have the rights to everyone but pretty obvious all the animated series now are geared towards kids most familiar with the newest movies, ergo why you have series for the most part like Avengers Assemble or Guardians of the Galaxy focusing on MCU characters. But yeah that isn't always the case like with Ultimate Spider Man that obviously you could say in some form connects to the MCU (Clark Gregg plays Coulson on the show like he does in the movies) but was made longgggggggggg before the deal to even have Spidey in the MCU because again it's a totally separate continuity.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

As far as we know, there are certain stipulations, but MARVEL are just being very careful. Remember the Mutant X lawsuit? They created a new tv series, having already sold the X-Men film rights. However, those rights were not just for the X-Men, the were for mutants of any kind.

http://openjurist.org/277/f3d/253/twentieth-v-marvel

So now these things need to be looked over with a fine tooth comb.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

7. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

They've also featured the F4 (the Thing especially), and their related villains a number of times. I think that has to do something with making sure they've either been an Avenger or an Avengers villain in the comics.

Thanks @RoryWilliams

@the greenman Thanks for a case where that "live-action" distinction seemed pertinent.
    It's a petty lawsuit, since the deal clearly stated ownership of "mutants" and "X-men" for feature-length "motion picture" productions whether it was made for tv or theatrical release.

• Like Like x 1