Are message boards becoming obsolete?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Spider-Man, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

With DC Comics' recent announcement that they will be closing their message boards and instead replacing them with Facebook and Twitter feedback, and with the very noticable drop in activity here, do you think message boards are becoming less popular? Are they becoming obsolete given how popular other forms of social media are today? Do you see a time when boards will be a thing of the past?

2. King9

King9 Embraced One

I hope they don't become obsolete. Social media have their uses but as far as being a place to talk about anything with other people I much prefer the message board.

3. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Twitter and FB are good for instant reactions. They're not good for long, thought-out discussions. I assume DC is hoping to save money on IT guys by offloading the technical stuff to FB.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Funny, I hadn't really noticed a significant drop in activity here at TZ. If you want see a serious decline in activity on a message board, go to the Big Cartoon Database. When I joined that board in 2002, the joint was jumping, but nowadays days can go by without a new thread being created or a new reply being posted. It's sad, really. I'm friends with BCDB's administrator, and he's been trying to breathe new life into that board: he's created new forums for The Hub, DC and Marvel Comics TV shows and even a new forum to talk about adult cartoons, and I even try to semi-moderate there and create new topics, but no one's been biting. You have to practically jump and hog-tie people there to get them to discuss anything beyond 1995, and even then all they want to say about those shows and movies is how bad they think they suck.

I know I'm showing my age, but I truly prefer message boards to social media. On a board you can have a thoughtful, layered discussions with like minded individuals, as opposed to just Twittering your Facebooks where you mostly just get short, pithy comments like "Dat rocks!!111 Best show evah!!!!!1111" I'm not on any social media sites and don't plan to get on any; I hope boards don't die out because that's the medium that I prefer when it comes to online communication.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

There are advantages to each major form of communication on the internet. In general I think the smart thing is to take advantage of more than one, though I can see why a company like DC would make the transition to social media. It's core market is very adept at it and you are essentially coming to where people are hanging out instead of having them come to you.

Forums are still very good for dialogue & for getting like-minded people gathered into one place. And if your interest is in fostering a community or staying in touch with a fanbase, there's a lot to be said for forums. I can't see how Bioware or Blizzard Entertainment could possibly use Facebook exclusively without diminishing what they've got.

I've found that comment threads vary dramatically in quality, and they are bound to the web article they're associated with. With that format you can't just strike up a conversation out of the blue.

So nah. Boards are way more likely to keep evolving than die.

6. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

What it is, is they want people to react to whatever they want to put forward rather then let people think up their own topics.

That's the difference, message boards are topical, social networks are mostly narcissistic.

I don't even like that news sites will list twitter comments to their articles.
    I can see how they like advertising when they get 500 tweets that the article exists, but about all they do is repeat the headline. No one needs to see that. There's no thought behind it.

7. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I hope not.

8. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

You can't carry on a proper conversation in 140 characters, so I think boards will be around for a while yet.

There's also the lack of intimacy with Facebook based conversations, since you don't really get the feeling behind things from "lol" and "true dat" style posting.

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I sure hope not. On social networking sites you can pretty much just do one or two sentence responses, while you can have full length conversations on a message board.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I much prefer forums and message boards to Twitter and Chat rooms, so I hope not.

11. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Hopping on board to say " I sure hope not".

Forums and message boards, like this one for example, are crucial to actually having well worded and thought out discussions. It would be a bad move to limit what people can say and how they can speak (through typing), to reduce things to Twitter's or Facebook's levels of sophomoric simplicity.

I hope message boards never die out - if only to ensure constructive and intelligent conversations stay around - like they need to!

12. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I like both honestly. On social media, i don't have to make long- drawn out posts & I can just express my feelings instantly. But on message boards, I can have full conversations with others about.....anything really. So message boards will still be around for a while. Though I must say, Legend of Korra is the only thing keeping the Nicktoons board alive these days. :sad:

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I haven't noticed any kind of drop-off in message board activity, but then again I'm limited in how many I frequent. There's only a handful that I go to on a regular basis, and while activity goes through highs and lows, they otherwise stay pretty active.

I would hate to see forums go away entirely, although I don't think they will. When you find good ones, such as TZ here, they're great places to meet others with the same interests and share that with one another.

14. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

I won't lie; I've been spending a lot more time in the last year or so on social media than message boards. My Twitter and Facebook tend to stay open all day long and I'm connected to them via my phone and iPod as well. Heck, even blogging gets more of my time with Livejournal and Tumblr. That could have a lot to do with the fact my interests have shifted to join a community that interacts more through social media than message boards, though.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I certainly hope not as well. While I can see the advantages a Facebook and Twitter page have for immediate communication, I don't think that they can completely replace message boards. There's only so much a person can say within the character limit on social media sites and that limit does prevent from more detailed discussion on different topics. I prefer message boards over social media sites and being able to enter into discussions without character limits is one of them. I don't think that I would be able to discuss shows, movies and books on those sites as I do here and other message boards, so I don't think I would enjoy them as much. Site like Facebook and Twitter are popular, but I don't think that they can make message boards obsolete.

16. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

I hope not. Forums are way better for discussion than Twitter or Facebook. If someone wants to talk about an eventful experience, it's much better to hear what others really have to say about it other than "That's so cool" or "Happened 2 me 2" or "OMG u r so lucky".

17. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Gradually, but that's also because, as phw said: change of interests. The appeal in animation and anime took a sky dive while television series (mostly thanks to netflix like services) has sky rocketed.

A very big yes to the tumblr addiction. It's thrilling to connect/share with so many different fandoms.

18. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Hopefully not. But the biggest danger isn't rival media: it's when a board becomes harder to access. I've seen on other boards where people began to add extra updates. Not only does it make it harder to navigate and less visually appealing, but also when it slows down the computer. Both tends to turn off casual viewers.

19. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

That would be so lame. I hate this trend to (over)simplicity. I've been a part of internet forums for nearly 9 years now. I don't want to see them go away! I really don't care to link myself up with everything via Facebook, nor do I think Twitter is actually good for this kind of communication (it's too simplistic).

I visit plenty of forums with LOTS of activity. People still like them, thank goodness.

20. Meson

Meson _

What we are seeing is the consolidation and departmentalization of internet activities.

You only need one forum per topic of interest. Any more, and you dilute the commonity. So, what you will see is a gradual consolidation and networking of larger specialized sites.

There are tons of comic book forums out there, and I bet DC believes it can put that staff to better use elsewhere. If they need a forum to discus something with their fans, they can go to say Comic Book Resources or some other comic book site. They can use social media and blogs for everything else

We're going to see this in every genre of entertainemnt, even industry. One day, Toon Zone may be the message boads for entire animation community, for instance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012