1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes Filmography from the 30's and 40's overall not popular anymore?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by DVDLooney, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

This my last Thread on this Subject Matter:
    Meaning are Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes 30's and 40's Filmography not as popular as they were in the 90's and early 2000's?

#1 DVDLooney, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. copper20

copper20 Member

Considering that Boomerang/Cartoon Network just LOVES to play the exact same cartoons, it's very likely.

3. Looney Turtles

They still do play a number of 40's shorts, including some pre-48. Sometimes, they go as early as 43 and 44 since I do see "Super-Rabbit", "Yankee Doodle Daffy", "Falling Hare" and "Duck Soup to Nuts" airing from time to time. The 30's shorts, however, never air anymore, so I'm guessing the 30's is the least popular.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

There's a common idee fixe among TV execs that the post-Baby Boomer generations (Gen Xers, Gen Yers, Millenials, what have you) are immediately turned off by black-and-white as the ratings for shows from that era have gotten progressively smaller. This is why reruns of shows from the 50's and 60's have all but disappeared from TV and you rarely see the 30's-40's era cartoons on the tube anymore. I do distinctly remember Nickelodeon removing the Bosko/Buddy era shorts from their Looney Tunes airing because kids were allegedly tuning out on them because they were considered "too old".

5. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I didn't know the Bosko/Buddy era shorts drew bad ratings for Nickelodeon in the 90's. That sucks. Well, I'm glad I have copies of all Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies Filmography. Sucks that ratings play a role in limited Filmography for LT/MM.

6. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

TCM could be a good channel to play those 30s/40s cartoons since it's a Turner network meaning they should have access to them. All those cartoons among non-animated shorts/short films were shown in theaters before the feature presentation, so it could sort of be a homage to that if they were to do so. TCM has done similar before in a bi-weekly show for half an hour somewhat like Toon Heads on CN. Don't remember the name, though. Don't know how well those 30s/40s LT/MM would be received either, but it could be worth a shot.

7. Coffee

Coffee Member

The older the better, in my opinion. It's a shame that they aren't airing the older ones.

8. Dreth

Dreth Member

Boomerang mostly airs the "WB Package" (meaning the post-48 shorts), I'm not sure if I've seen the pre-48 prints.

9. Steve Burstein

Too bad more kids aren't like I was in the 60s. The local UHF station would run silent and early talkie cartoons from Fleischer, Van Bueren, and Terry(even Ub Iwerks) and I watched them BECAUSE they were old. My upstairs neighbor from England was watching them with me, and she said "These cartoons are so old, the man who made them died"!

10. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I honestly told that lady "Look here, they're timeless classics. It doesn't matter how old they are."

11. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

I don't watch Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network often, but in the past year, whenever I do, they seem to only show Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner, and toa certain extent Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. I watched a Looney Tunes marathon this past New Years and it seems they only showed cartoons with those characters (they didn't even seem to show anything with Tweety or Sylvester, aside Carrotblanca and Superior Duck).

12. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I like Merrie Melodies from 1936-onwards cause the early ones are too boring. I like Looney Tunes after Buddy, i didn't like buddy and bosko that much, pretty boring.

the 40s and 50s were the most popular among audiences, tweetie pie, what's opera doc, for scent-imential reasons, rabbit of seville, birds annoymous, knighty knight bugs, etc.

the 60s are alright, daffy and speedy pairings are still better than buddy and bosko to me.

13. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much from the 30s. I wish they still aired. I'd love to check some out.

14. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

15. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I don't think the 30s shorts were EVER popular (yeah even in the 30s) especially the ones from the first half of the decade when Warners was shilling Brunswick Records/making lousy Disney clones/etc. As for the 40s, I blame the generally poor film quality of the AIP tv prints of that era.

17. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Most AAP prints from the 1930s were completely obscured from today's world with the LaserDisc Volume 5 dubbed versions, so we may never get to see their original end cards again.

However, dubbed versions surpass AAP prints in quality, I always try to look for dubbed prints of cartoons that haven't been restored. Although some are horrible, most are very good.

Yes, from 1930-35 the 30s were pretty bad, but they were getting started. I like the Daffy/Speedy shorts better than the Bosko/Buddy/1931-35 MM shorts. All the MM shorts ended with the characters laughing, really. Starting in 1936, they actually had ironic endings, which I started to like.