1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Funimation and Crunchyroll's streaming services worth it?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by wonderfly, Sep 22, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I already have access to anime on my Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime accounts.

Convince me that either (or both) Funimation and Crunchyroll are worth it?

Funimation is supposedly $5.99 per month. Crunchyroll is $6.95 per month.

Keep in mind that my interest in anime is for the more mainstream stuff (titles that have aired in the USA). And yes, my preference is for the English versions. Though I am willing to explore a little (people keep recommending stuff like "My Hero Academia" for instance)...though it has to be English versions.

I'm also debating getting a Boomerang subscription ($4.99) as well, to complete my access to online animation libraries (which is my main interest)...

Any other online (legal) streaming animation libraries you guys would recommend?

2. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

for the English dubs yeah

3. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Funimation has more dubs, but Crunchyroll's catalog has a wider diversity/more hidden gems.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I only have a Crunchyroll account. They tend to have more subtitles than dubs, but there are still some dubs there and I think that they have a larger amount of shows on their site than Funimation. I don't know how many of Funimation's dubs are available on both their site and Crunchyroll.

Crunchyroll is probably more useful if you're keeping up with a currently airing series or you want to watch a long running series. I guess it would depend on what kind of mainstream anime titles you're looking for and whether or not their dubs are available on either site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, for instance, I'm really looking for English dubs of DBZ, One Piece, and Yu Yu Hakusho...

Hulu already has English versions of Naruto, Inuyasha, and Sailor Moon, I think... though I wonder if that's because of some sort of contract Hulu has with Viz...

#5 wonderfly, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  6. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Funimation has all three of those.

7. The Watcher

The Watcher Member

@wonderfly I've been contemplating also about joining more streaming sites so I understand what ur going through. :)
    I think if you get VRV you will have access to both Funimation and Crunchyroll under one price.

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I can't really say for sure which one is the better one of the two, but I think their selection of shows are top notch, though I think Funimation has the better site of the two.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. homeofthebadguys

homeofthebadguys New Member

I'm gonna say that Crunchyroll had originally started as a pirate service, so I don't see Crunchyroll as a service worth paying for, since they were pirates with a paywall at one point, and as for Funimation, that depends on if you like risking being attacked infrequently through dubs like "Prison School" (remember that famous "Gamergate Creepshow" line?), "Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon" (the anti-consumerism occurred in 3 of the 12 episodes with a few changed lines, the most extreme of which was Lucoa saying "Those pesky patriarchal societal demands forced me to change clothes", then tohru responding in the dub "Give it a week, they'll ask you to change back", when the original Japanese had Lucoa saying that she was too lewd in anything she wore, with Tohru responding "Have you tried changing your body?" (as in transforming back into a dragon)), and just recently consumers were attacked again in the dub of "My First Girlfriend is a Gal", mind you that particular programme had a pretty bad merit to begin with, but the director of that dub had attacked consumers once again with a rather potent line change where one guy asks about the girls being forced to read "creepy sex stuff", then the business manager goes on a tangent about his consumers being "turned on by women being embarrassed". Funimation's reaction to the line change in "My First Girlfriend is a Gal", and the subsequent assault of legitimate complaints was basically "don't harass our employees" Related OneAngryGamer article here.

Sorry for the essay, but to summarize, Funimation Entertainment's anti-consumer and should be boycotted (pirate ALL their works, and make sure you don't give them money), and as for Crunchyroll, they're former pirates, so I just don't feel right subscribing to them.

#9 homeofthebadguys, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So you don't want to support Crunchyroll because they're former pirates, yet you want to encourage people to not legally support Funimation's shows by pirating all of their work? That doesn't really make any sense.

I don't recall hearing about Crunchyroll originally being a pirated site, but if that is true, it seems kind of extreme to hold that against them now. They're a completely legit site and easily one of the biggest anime streaming sites around. Most people aren't going to care how they started out, especially when there are a lot of shows in their library that would appeal to different people too.

11. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I remember crunchy rolls transition. I don't think they should be punished for their criminal past since now they are completely on the up and up.

12. homeofthebadguys

My personal compass is that a pirate service shouldn't be paid, which Crunchyroll was back in the time. Also doesn't help that Crunchyroll merged with Funimation a few years back, and they were discovered to be stealing subtitles even before that.

Also, I just remembered that Funimation looks at what's pirated to see what's a hit, so it might be best just to go dark on anything Funimation produces from here on out until they either 1. go broke (Funimation just got bought by the American Sony Pictures, which is in a bad spot, like Funimation has been for a few months now) or 2. fire Jamie Marchi (the director who was responsible for all the anti-consumer jabs in the first place).

If the anime licensing industry crashes again, it's not gonna be ambition causing it, but instead it'll be one licensor monopolizing a lot of titles, so that smaller companies are left with scraps and adding jabs at the consumers (along with left-wing political propaganda where there was none) in comedy anime.

If you need more info on Jamie Marchi, and her lack of professionality, then the video below should be a crash course in that.

#12 homeofthebadguys, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

But they aren't a pirate service anymore. I don't know about stealing subtitles before merging with Funimation. That's more of a reasonable reason to not want to support them, but they're completely legit and have been for years as far as I know. It also still seems like a huge contradiction to punish Crunchyroll for being a pirate site in the past only to want people to pirate Funimation's shows for their own actions.

Honestly, it feels like people are making a big deal out of nothing. I can understand wanting the dubs to be as accurate as possible and not throw in politics into the mix, but it's also kind of hard to take the claims seriously when the lines were for comedy anime. I don't think that she seriously expect to use her position as a script writer for comedy anime series in order to influence other people's opinions. They're supposed to be comedic series, not something that is going to make people stop and think about sexism. Not to mention it was just a few lines. If it bothers you that much, just stuck with legal subs and avoid the dub.

All the video did was make me feel uncomfortable that all of these people are targeting a woman for supposedly having a feminist agenda. Given how the Internet treats women, including my own experiences as a woman, I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't have this same kind of reaction if it was a man responsible for those lines, so I'm not really interested in this whole conflict when it's rather moot and already screams sexist to me.

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It's worth what you want to pay. If you feel like you want to support the distributors and producers of the official releases or feel like you will use the apps and content, then yeah go for it. It's up to you though.

15. homeofthebadguys

If you watched the video he said that if he wanted her fired, it wouldn't be for her political leaning, but instead "lack of professionalism" (Using a apolitical medium/work to voice your own political alignment could be considered as such).

16. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

Honestly this whole discussion about to legitimacy of Crunchyroll and Funimations subs/dubs seems a little fishy. There's just some odd leaps in logic to support the stance that because someone has an issue with the translation or how a company started out they should automatically support pirating. I just think this kind of stance is the same kind of false entitlement and excuses fans use to excuse their piracy habits. These are the kinds of fans that want to get everything for free because they aren't able (or won't) manage their own disposable incomes to support the industries they claim to be fans of. Now I know many adult fans who if they simply don't agree with how a translation is handled they won't support that specific release but they may still import the source material or find the legal means to support the version they prefer. Still these days anime fandom has a LOT of legal options to invest in the things they like and a much wider choice in the variety of ways they can do it. Usually it just comes down some fans choosing not to take those options because they have this unrealistic expectation that everything they consume they don't have to pay a cent for.

• Agree Agree x 2