1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Classic Cartoons even around anymore?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by DVDLooney, Jan 1, 2016.

1. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

In other words, are any Classic Cartoons such as, Popeye, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Hanna Barbara, Betty Boop, etc., no longer around to be seen on American TV?

2. Scoobfan69

Scoobfan69 Member

Tom and jerry, Looney tunes, Scooby-Doo,the Flintstones and the smurfs are still on boomerang here in the us.

3. victoria nguyen

victoria nguyen New Member

Nice. Thank for the helpful post

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Well to the average TV viewer it is rare for people to see Classic cartoons unless if they have Boomerang, which is hard already, however people could stream the Toons, however to most people they might not even know the significance of those cartoons so there appeal could vary too some.

5. VitaminBee

VitaminBee New Member

Sadly, they don't really air on TV... Especially the old/good Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons. Hoping someone gets around to releasing the Dog Years of Betty Boop on DVD sometime soon -- and in good quality too.

6. Scoobfan69

Scoobfan69 Member

Classic tom and jerry is retiring to CN on Tuesday and will be shown for an hour and a half Monday thru Friday.

7. Kinski Guy

Kinski Guy New Member

Problem being most of them are locked to Cartoon Network and Boomerang, and they aren't really interested in being what they used to be.

And I'd imagine they probably lost most of the HB audience to dvds and some of the LT audience to them, but LT's dvd future isn't looking anywhere near as sunny as HB's is. So I imagine they could land more of that audience if they wanted to....but they don't. While some of the current choices on both sides give some air time to some not yet available, i doubt it's a plan to market that way.

I don't know for sure where broadcast rights for owned Popeye and Betty Boop are. I know WB is still handing Popeye's dvds and Sony has the license for new material. Just not on where he would be able to air. Is it possible CN/Boom is still the place or do we think that expired by now?

8. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o New Member

Flintstones, Tom & Jerry and Bugs Bunny/Road Runner are aired in the SF Bay Area. I think others are also aired but I skip over them when surfing. I have seen some others. I am just passing time at my father's house and do not watch enough TV to note the times and channels. I know he didn't intentionally subscribe to a cartoon channel so it is part of a package if they are not just random broadcasts. This has surprised me to see cartoons at all hours of the night over a weekend but they do not run cartoons non-stop. They are sprinkled here and there.

9. Rabbitearsblog

I really wish that Cartoon Network would try to air some of the classic shows again, especially the classic Scooby Doo and Looney Tunes. I'm not sure what's going on with Cartoon Network right now regarding their classic shows.

10. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

I wish that too. That's one of the things I miss about Cartoon Network and Boomerang.

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I think if anything they should avoid LT and SD because of how common both are, they should at least try some other material that hasn't aired in a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rabbitearsblog

I would like to see them air older shows like Speed Buggy and other classic shows that barely air on TV.

13. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Common consensus: these days many people think that classic cartoons won't even bring money or ratings. Most cartoons airing in Portugal have been produced after 2000 or so, and that also accounts to local content.

I really miss the days when classic cartoons were around.

14. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

On rare occasion, TCM will air some golden age animation like some Feischer shorts and classic Disney.

I'd prefer it if they were on CN or one of Disney's networks, but at least they're still on TV

#14 AnotherRandomGuy, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

So do I.

16. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

I don't see the problem.
    As long as there are DVDs or any other way to get these classic cartoons, there shouldn't be no problem for us, fans of animation. A channel dedicated to classic cartoons would be neat, but I don't see it as a necessity.

The REAL problem, I believe, is that not all of the classic cartoons are available in other ways..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rabbitearsblog

I agree that there are still classic cartoons on DVD and people can still pick them up. I guess many fans just want to watch these classic cartoons on TV again since you can get it for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

The other MGM Cartoons are so unappreciated. Whatever Ted Turner owns such as Happy Harmonies and the one-shot MGM cartoons should be shown daily. A Tooncast in America would be well received.

19. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Turner doesn't own access to Disney's material. Turner only has access to Popeye and Superman cartoons from the Famous studios. Fleischer Popeyes' are also on Turner channels.

20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Yes...that doesn't mean TCM hasn't aired Disney content before.