1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Archie Comics" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by dth1971, Mar 4, 2007.

?

Rate and Comment on This Series!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Why is it in some to most issues of the Archie Comics Digests some reprint stories (Mostly the Archies 1950's-1990's/2000-2001-infinity stories) have art and/or word balloon parts reworded/redone? Compare that to the original versions in the Archie comics issues of the past you have with the same stores with reworked wording and art if you notice and have them or something like that.

2. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

It's hard to reply since you haven't given specific examples, but I know some art has been edited in reprints to meet Archie Comics' current decency "standards." For example, there was one issue from the 70s in which Betty wore a top low cut enough to reveal that she wasn't wearing a bra; reprints later added an undershirt.

3. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

One reason for the edits is to "update" the stories for the present for current (presumably kid) readers, even if it seems awkward; recall a one-page bit where we see Mr. Lodge asking Archie about why Veronica was talking about a "fever on Saturday night"---original version: something about Archie saying he was taking her to see "Saturday Night Fever". "Updated" version: "I was saying that Ronnie's in her new dress looked so fine that she's the new hotness!" (or somesuch). :shrug:

4. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I can't name any exact examples, but if this comic was ever reissued, I find it hard to believe the original dialogue was retained.

5. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

That was back when Archie was actually funny.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been a while since I've picked up an Archie digest--if updating is going on, then it's a new trend. All the digests I ever bought as a kid were in their original state, with incredibly dated dialogue from decades ago. When Archie did things like bop bongos and call everybody "Dad," it puzzled me.

If they're making an effort now to modernize what they reprint, there are a lot of stories they won't even be able to run at all. Maybe I should hold onto my boxes of digests after all--they might be the only way to see Archie at a discotheque or playing Pong.

Jave--I've never seen that before. Is that a new discovery on the Net or has it been around as long as the Batman "boner" comic?

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Betty uses the word gay exactly once in that comic (and catcher, but you have to have a really dirty mind and a working knowledge of gay slang to read something into that).

What's the big deal? Gay is a word and people used to use it to mean happy, as Betty actually makes clear in her next line. It's nothing on the level of Superman marrying Jimmy Olsen to an ape.

I don't think that comic will ever be passed off in a modern digest anyway, because Betty is dressed like it's the 1950s and it's in an old Archie art style that isn't used any more.

8. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

They redraw the clothes to make the stories seem contemporary again. I'd actually heard one famous Archie artist from the 50s and 60s didn't draw any clothes and let an assistant do them. I think it was Harry Lucey.

9. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It was posted in a LJ community over a year ago, where lots of comic scans get constantly posted. Even though posting full comics is against the rules there, I'm not linking to it since it's still copyright infrigment.

Of course, in proper context, the word gay is another meaning for happy. The problem is now, were "gay" has a new, different connotation. S&P would never allow the word to be used like that these days.

And Archie got away with lots of dirty stuff back in the day. Like this one, which is pretty damn obvious:

[​IMG]

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Of course, most Archie comic story reprints with Ethel and Moose drop the word "Big" from their names.

11. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

And Lil Jinx reprints in the Archie digests no longer use to call Lil Jinx's friend Charley Hawse "Fat Charley" and just call him Charley.

12. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Are there unedited Essential Archie collections available? CD-ROM?

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Aw, that's just wrong. And Joe Edwards just died, so we'll never know his opinion on that.

I just realized--if they're cutting out anything dated, I'll never see Sassy Thrasher again. :(

14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Who is Sassy Thrasher?

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

16. TSRROXZ

TSRROXZ Member

they're trying to make it as modern as possible (rewording)
    as for dropping the big/fat and taking duh--out of every sentence moose says i read in an interview the reason is that they dont want to offend anybody who looks like that

17. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

They have those "Best of the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc" reprint 'collections' but nothing resembling a complete collection. I would absolutely buy an Essential Archie, though, since I'm a big Harry Lucey and pre-80s Dan DeCarlo fan.

18. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Given the sheer volume of Archie related material published over the decades (and from what I've read, either Archie or Richie Rich has had the most different comic titles ever devoted to or related to a single character), this seems like a rather enormous undertaking, if you want to reprint more than just the actual "Archie" comic title.... not to mention a glacial one, judging from how (in)frequently editions of DC's "Archives" series come out...

19. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

I don't know who worked on it, but I enjoyed the 60s run. The post 1980 stuff just bores me.

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

You mean (Big) Moose doesn't say "Duh" anymore?

I know (Big) Moose even said "Duh" in the Filmation Archie cartoons!