1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaman in Animation: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 3, 2013.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Earlier this year, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox was released, as the newest direct-to-video animated feature in the ever-growing line of DC Universe Animated Original Movies released by Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Animation. Based on the 2011 comic book story "Flashpoint", by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert, which lead to the introduction of the New 52 universe this animated film was scripted by Jim Krieg and directed by Jay Oliva. While billed as a Justice League movie, the story mostly focuses on the Flash (Barry Allen), and it's the first movie in a while where the real star is someone else than Batman or Superman. Some of the other heroes, like Batman (obviously), Aquaman and Wonder Woman get some pretty awesome story-arcs throughout the movie as well, once the Flashpoint timeline is established. Though, none of these characters act as you'd normally expect leading to some surprising moments. The character designs in this film all look pretty great, though some of them are a little too exaggerated. Their proportions are off (even more so than they were in the DCAU), and most of the character's faces don't look too appealing, but it works. Aquaman looks alright I guess. Both pre-Flashpoint, and post-Flashpoint. His two designs are pretty similar, the only real differences I can notice being he's a little bigger, his outfit contains some darker colors and obviously the scar on his face. As a small warning, there are bound to be some spoilers in this article, so read at your own risk.

Before the Flashpoint reality is created, we have a pretty amazing fight between Flash and his rogues, which ends when the Justice League arrives to help disarm Professor Zoom's bombs. Each hero takes one of the booby-trapped rogues (Zoom was going to sacrifice them all), and travel to a safe distance to take care of the devices. Aquaman (voiced by Cary Elwes) picks up the Top and throws him into the nearest bay. He summons millions of aquatic microbes to disintegrate the bomb's mechanism, and afterwards shatters the now useless device with his bare hands. A nice use of Aquaman's powers. The other heroes get some neat moments to showcase their abilities as well - Superman's method of disarming the bomb attached to Heat Wave was probably my favorite. Aquaman isn't that greatly developed before his transition to the alternate reality but it's made pretty clear he's a hero, and he would, as Flash mentions "die before harming innocent people".

[​IMG]
    The story begins with the Flash running fast enough to travel back in time and stop his mom from being murdered. Unknowingly, he causes a ripple effect which alters events throughout the timeline, even events which took place before this. He awakes in an alternate world, which is plagued by the war between the Atalanteans lead by Aquaman and the Amazons lead by Wonder Woman. Very few super-heroes actually exist in this timeline, like Cyborg (who works for the President), Batman (Thomas Wayne - in this reality, Bruce was murdered as a child), the Shazam Kids (who become Captain Thunder when shouting Shazam), Superman is a skinny weakened and frightened character (thanks to spending his whole life isolated in a room containing red sun radiation, thanks to the Government), etc. Perhaps a little off-topic, but I couldn't help thinking of Marvel Comics' Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic when seeing this Flashpoint-era Superman. The moment he discovers his heat vision also reminded me of Cyclops, for obvious reasons.

We get to see, via a flashback some of the key events that happened differently in this timeline, as well as what caused the Aquaman/Wonder Woman war in the first place. Arthur, King of Atlantis meets with Diana, Princess of the Amazons to form an alliance between their two kingdoms. The two leaders were obviously attracted one to the other, and as a result Aquaman had an affair with Diana. However, Mera his wife found out about it and driven by jealousy confronted Wonder Woman; this scene resulting in the former's death by beheading. Aquaman was forced by his people to declare war on the Amazons, a war which could very well destroy the entire world. Captain Atom was one of the many sent to stop them; he was captured by the Atlanteans and used to power their doomsday weapon. Attempting to assassinate all the Amazons, Aquaman activated the atomic weapon. Unfortunately the Amazons' island was protected by magic, and instead millions of people died when western Europe sank into the ocean.

Aquaman's supporting cast is also present in this movie, during the alternate-reality period. Both Garth and Kaldur are seen as members of Aquaman's army, and both partake in some pretty good fight scenes. Additionally, Ocean Master and Black Manta are also featured, but as his allies this time. There's a neat moment when Aquaman simply punches Ocean Master for mentioning his dead wife's name (Mera was only seen during the flashback portion, which was previously mentioned). There's also Dr. Vulko, an Atlantean scientist who tries to reason with his King and explain why using the Captain Atom-powered doomsday weapon is a horrible idea. Other non-Aquaman related characters show up throughout the movie as well, such as the Resistance trying to prevent the war between the two kingdoms, with members such as Grifter ("the boy idiot" as Batman called him), or the Demon Etrigan (who speaks in rhyme... and reminds me I have another retrospective to update, when I have the time).

This movie is surprisingly violent. There's plenty of intense action scenes, and the overall number of deaths seen in the movie is pretty big. Wonder Woman murders Mera, Steve Trevor and one of the Shazam Kids, among others. The Flash is pretty much burned alive (but survives), alternate-reality Batman starts breaking his fingers one by one, and gets his leg stabbed by Professor Zoom, who gets killed in the end by this Batman, who shoots him in the head. Aquaman also contributes to the casualties list, in scenes like his attack on Lex Luthor and Deathstroke's mission to discover the location of the doomsday weapon, a mission which ends with all the "good guys" being slaughtered by the Atalnateans; Aquaman summoning a giant sea monster to swallow the space ship piloted by Hal Jordan, armed with a bomb itself; or him ripping Cyborg apart piece by piece until his heart is exposed. He is stopped from killing Cyborg by Superman, who returns and uses his heat vision to slice off Aquaman's right arm. If that wasn't enough, Aquaman is next repeatedly stabbed in the back by Wonder Woman, though he manages to activate his doomsday device before dying. The Aquaman/Wonder Woman fight was pretty amazing; not that long but had a great impact and some neat choreography.

[​IMG]
    Flash manages to out-run the explosion, reaching the speed necessary to travel once again through time and stop himself from saving his mother's life. As a result, the normal timeline is restored. While the movie is pretty violent overall, I got to admit there are also some very well done emotional scenes, like the one in the beginning showing us Barry Allen's memories of his mother, but most notably seeing Bruce Wayne get teary-eyed when reading his father's letter to him. I thought it was great how the movie managed to find a decent balance between all the fighting and sad scenes. All in all a great movie, with a pretty interesting story. And a good showcase for Aquaman as well, depicting what he'd be capable of doing if he'd ever go bad. If this movie doesn't convince more people Aquaman is a powerful character, I don't know what will.

Bonus: Just for fun, Aquaman's appearances on Teen Titans Go! and miscellaneous DC Nation animated shorts (at least the ones I'm aware of and have aired so far)...

2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Teen Titans Go! started airing this year on Cartoon Network. Produced by Michael Jelenic and Aaron Horvath, the show is more of a comedy than a straight adventure show, and not really a follow-up to the previous Teen Titans animated series. The characters are depicted in super-deformed style and each episode is composed of two 15-minutes segments. I have only watched a few episodes but personally I didn't find them all that funny. Now, I didn't mention the original 2003 Teen Titans cartoon at all during this retrospective because Aquaman was never seen during the series (though the same can be said just about every "older" super-hero from the DC Universe, with the Doom Patrol being the only exception, I think). Aqualad (Garth) was seen throughout the show, aiding the Titans and as part of Titans East (he was a founding member of that team, if I remember correctly). Teen Titans Go! features both Aquaman and Aqualad, though mostly as a series of brief cameos or Easter eggs added in various episodes.

In the episode titled "Matched", Cyborg's newest invention the Love Matcher 5000 pairs Beast Boy with Raven, and interestingly enough Starfire with Aquaman, much to Robin's dismay. There's a running gag about Robin trying to act, look and even smell like Aquaman trying to impress Satrfire but without any success. Aquaman can be seen at the end of the episode, sitting next to Starfire, as guests at Beast Boy's wedding with Raven. Cyborg realizes his machine wasn't working correctly, and after fixing it we learn that Starfire's ideal match is a scratching post, same as Beast Boy. The two then start fighting over the "post of scratching" as Starfire calls it, leaving both Robin and Aquaman heartbroken. Pretty amusing ending. Aquaman didn't have any lines here so no voice actor was required.

[​IMG]
    Interestingly, Aquaman-related stuff has also popped up on the show was Easter eggs for the fans - in the most recent episode, "Sidekick", we see his update on DCUBook, simply stating he's "chillin with da fishes". Aqualad also had some neat cameos, such as Kaldur's face being seen on a billboard in "Driver's Ed", and Garth appearing alongside the other Titans East for a couple of scenes in "Starliar". I haven't found any episode of this show very funny, though some do have some neat moments. I might have missed some of the Aquaman family's cameos but since I never really followed the show that closely I think I managed to track down their most notable appearances.

Also, here's a short checklist of Aquaman appearances in the DC Nation animated shorts. DC Nation, a programming block which started airing on Saturday mornings on Cartoon Network in 2012. Apart from normal animated series, the block also contains various cartoon shorts. Though unfortunately the block currently only airs an hour of the Teen Titans show mentioned above. Some of the stuff is good, but I haven't followed these shorts that faithfully, so I'm probably missing some Aquaman-related stuff. Here's the stuff I know about:

• On the MAD Presents series of shorts, Aquaman is featured in the musical number "That's What Super Friends Are For". I'm not sure who did his voice as there were no credits and I'm not that good at recognizing voice actors.
    • The DC Super Pets series features an alternate version of Aquaman, named Aquacow. He's a member of the League of Just Us Cows.
    • And on DC Nation's Farm League (apparently based on the comics Just'a Lotta Animals), we have Aquamandrill.

Can't really add any good pictures to demonstrate all these other versions of Aquaman - but you're not missing much.

What does the future hold for Aquaman? Well, there have been rumors of him getting his own animated movie, or at least be the main character in a Justice League story, similar to how Flash was portrayed in the previously discussed Flashpoint Paradox feature (or have they been already confirmed? I haven't really kept up to date with news concerning the future of the DC animated films, sorry), but even if they are true the earliest this could happen is 2015, as next year's batch of movies appears to be the already 'classic" line-up of Batman, Superman or Justice League (sans Aquaman, most likely) stories. This thread will (hopefully) be updated as more cartoons feature Aquaman. Just don't expect an update every time a new Teen Titans Go! episode or DC Nation short featuring Aquaman is released.

3. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I absolutely ADORE Aquaman! I'm so annoyed by the bad rap he gets because of things like Robot Chicken and Family Guy and the fact that this is all the vast majority of people know about him.
    The 60s cartoon was pretty darn fun, and I've got it on DVD. I enjoy it, for the most part.
    Superfriends really hurt his image, relegating him to the superhero that could breathe underwater. Big whoop.
    I really liked his appearance in STAS's "Fish Story". Seeing him actually get to be a tough character was cool. I especially loved the end of the episode. JL/JLU gave him a few good chances to shine. I especially enjoyed the episode where the League fought The Ultimen, and Aquaman had a couple great moments in his fight against this evil version of The Wonder Twins.

But the best incarnation of the character thus far as to be from Batman: The Brave and the Bold. He's ... "outrageous!" A perfect homage to the zany Silver Age comics with an entertaining update that makes him just goofy fun. He's like an underwater He-Man. It's priceless. John DiMaggio gives a terrific performance and it's fun when Aquaman gets to sing in some ridiculous musical number. I hope one day he'll get his own show. Something along the lines of a combination of the B:TBaTB style with something a LITTLE bit more serious like JL/JLU. A perfect mixture of action, adventure, humor, and drama.

I do hope he gets an animated movie, like the rumors say. And I hope it's awesome.

Great write-ups as always man! Can't wait to see the next one!

4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Updating this thread, to include Aquaman's appearance in the JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time feature from last month. Originally a "stealth release", with limited publicity and only available in certain stores, the direct-to-DVD movie apparently will become even more available in the upcoming months. The movie is basically an updated version of the long-running classic Super Friends show (the story is also inspired by an episode of that show, though it eventually goes into a different direction). I guess the best way to explain it is that it felt like a lighter in tone episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. It's a fun movie, despite being targeted primarily for kids. It has that certain charm some cartoons these days lack that makes it enjoyable enough for older viewers as well. It's also a nice break from the otherwise great (but a little too action-heavy) DC Universe line of animated features, which continues to grow every year - more on this a little later.

The story isn't that great at explaining or using effectively all the time travel plots and paradoxes it brings up but the way it plays out is pretty great, overall. I know I must have mentioned this several times before but I think time travel-related stories in general are tricky to pull off so I didn't really mind. And it's not only because the movie is "for kids", like I said it's a pretty entertaining adventure with some really neat moments; a nice mix of action and comedy, with the secondary members of the JLA getting some great moments, showcasing their powers and abilities. Including the character this retrospective is all about, Aquaman.

[​IMG]
    Aquaman is pretty amazing in this movie. His voice here was provided by Liam O'Brien, who does a pretty great job. He gets a decent enough amount of screen-time, and is used surprisingly well. His design also looks great; I think this is now probably my favorite look for him in animation. There's just something about his outfit here that makes him look cooler than in other cartoons. It's a nice update on his traditional orange and green outfit, without resorting to the barbarian look that wouldn't have worked in this kind of movie anyway. He's not as "outrageous" as he was on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but he's very entertaining to watch. On a semi-related note, I liked all the designs they used for the heroes (and villains) seen in the movie - they all looked pretty awesome, and animated pretty well.

The real stars of the movie though are Karate Kid and Dawnstar, potential members of the Legion of Super-Heroes from the 31st century, who accidentally free Luthor from his frozen prison (where he's been trapped for the past 1000 years or so). Lex uses the Time Trapper to travel back in time (our present), and then sends his Legion in the past to make sure Kal-El won't become Superman and interfere with his plans again. Doing so he apparently causes all the other members of the JLA to disappear as well, leaving only the two wannabe Legionnaires (of Super-Heroes, not of Doom) to save the day. It's a pretty interesting story overall, despite the time travel paradoxes brought up.

Here's a brief rundown of what Aquaman went through in this movie:

• From the beginning, Aquaman joins the JLA to fight the Legion of Doom at the North Pole. He gets to fight his old enemy Black Manta, in a short but pretty entertaining fight scene. Aquaman wins the fight easily enough, with the aid of his trident.
    • He travels back in time alongside Cyborg and Flash to save the baby Superman from the Legion of Doom. The chase scene that follows is probably the most entertaining thing in the entire movie, with some fun and creative moments.
    • The real highlight for Aquaman though is probably towards the end of the movie, where he saves a ship and its crew in the middle of the ocean from being swallowed by the Time Trapper's dark matter vortex. He uses his telepathic abilities to summon a giant squid, to help him pull the ship back to the water.

All in all, a pretty great feature and a surprisingly good showcase for Aquaman. I admit I've never been a huge fan of Aquaman, but I doubt he deserves the pretty bad reputation he's earned over the years, and I'm just happy to see a slightly more seriously-portrayed Aquaman in cartoons these days - whether it's the swash-buckling hero from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, or this more restrained version. Or even the powerful and somewhat nuts one from the Flashpoint Paradox movie.

And while I'm at it, I'll just go ahead and mention Justice League: War - the newest feature in the ever-growing line of DC Universe Animated Original Movies released by Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Animation, officially released on DVD today though digital copies of the movie have been available for a couple of weeks. Its an origin story for the Justice League, based primarily on the Justice League: Origin story-line, by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee. Notably though, Aquaman - who was present in the comics, is absent from the team roster here, being replaced with Captain Marvel/Shazam. I didn't really mind his absence though, as the story played out well overall. There's also a neat mid-credits scene, which sets up the events for a future movie. Without spoiling too much (there really isn't that much to talk about, as Aquaman himself is not shown in this certain scene), it does seem to confirm that the next Justice League animated movie will be based on the Throne of Atlantis story arc from the comics, which should mean more Aquaman in animation.

5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Time to update this thread again, now that the Justice League: Throne of Atlantis animated movie has been officially released on DVD. The movie is a sequel to last year's Justice League: War, which presented a new origin story for the Justice League, largely based on the first story-arc from the comics to be part of the New 52 revamp. While not a solo-Aquaman movie, Throne of Atlantis does a good job at bringing the hero in the spotlight and portrays him well enough for me. The movie continues to build upon the elements the previous movie introduced, and I think it's a better, or at least more enjoyable movie. The heroes are now more fleshed-out, and more likeable as well. While there are a couple of things I'm not really a fan of (such as, Superman and Wonder Woman being a couple), they are usually played out rather well and don't distract too much from the real purpose of the movie.

[​IMG]
    While Aquaman was ignored during the previous movie, even though he was present in the comic book story, I think this movie more than makes up for his absence there. Seeing as we never really got an origin for Aquaman in animation (as this thread has hopefully demonstrated - the closest we really had until this movie came out were the few hints and flashbacks on Batman: The Brave and the Bold), this movie was a pretty pleasant surprise. It's a decent adaptation of the story-arc from the comics (which has the same title, and is also part of the New 52), but also has some changes here and there to make the story flow better. By now there's relatively little that could be changed to make Aquaman's already classic origin story more exciting, so there weren't really any surprises in his back-story. His villainous and treacherous half-brother Orm has been featured in a few animated projects over the years so we kind of know what he's capable of. Then there's Black Manta, who's probably Aquaman's most well-known nemesis, so it's predictable enough he'll be trouble along the way. Probably the only thing that caught me off-guard was that Black Manta was posing as Professor Shin's assistant, but that was mainly because I'm not used to seeing Manta unmasked. Or if he is unmasked, I was expecting to see them re-use his character design from the Young Justice animated series (a more lengthy "rant" about them re-using designs from Young Justice can be found below, towards the end of this article).

The story focuses on Arthur Curry (voiced by Matt Lanter), a young man who lives in a lighthouse on Mercy Reef, who starts noticing some changes in his life - for one, he can talk to fish and other sea creatures. Then he's also apparently stronger than a normal human, as demonstrated in a scene where he gets in a fight with some guys in a bar for trying to save a lobster from getting cooked. As the movie progresses, it's revealed that he's actually half-Atlantean; his mother was Atlanna, who fell in love with a lighthouse keeper and had a son with him. But since she was royalty, she had to return to Atlantis and rule it. Mera, one of the Queen's trusted servants (and a pretty awesome warrior as well) was sent to watch over Arthur, and inform him of his destiny to rule Atlantis one day.

Orm, the Prince of Atlantis who considers himself the true heir to the Throne wishes to launch an attack on the surface world. He's aided by Black Manta, and several creatures called Trenchers - since they hail from the Mariana Trench. His reasoning is that the humans have to pay for killing the King of Atlantis; in a nice little nod to the story from the previous movie, it's revealed that the King died due to a volcano eruption caused by Darkseid's invasion of Earth. However, Queen Atlanna refuses to let this war with the surface world start, and Orm is powerless in front of her while she wields the magical Trident. His plan is to use a nuclear submarine (which his Trenchers sank at the beginning of the movie) to attack and destroy most of Atlantis - and then blame the humans. When the Queen sees through his ruse, he simply kills her and claims the Throne and Trident for himself.

There are plenty of action scenes to be found in this movie - some of them surprisingly violent, but still entertaining. As far as the violence goes, it plays out somewhat similar to the previous movie Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, though not nearly as dark or bloody. Arthur manages to remain in the spotlight for most of the movie, showcasing his abilities and ultimately becoming the King of Atlantis by the end of the story. There's a scene where Arthur gets his hand injured during a battle with the Trenchers - a scene I thought for a minute would lead to him taking on the hook-hand look, but I'm glad it didn't. Mera also partakes in lots of action scenes and, since I think her powers are cooler than Aquaman's, I probably enjoyed them even more. She also had more experience in fighting than Arthur had at that point. I admit Arthur and Mera's romance was rushed through, but that's to be expected. It was pretty obvious there was an attraction between them from the start, so it shouldn't be too hard to imagine they would eventually get together. Plus, knowing their comic book history or even remembering at least their previous animated appearances, also helps.

[​IMG]
    I liked how the Justice League crossed paths with Arthur and got mixed up in this war for the Throne of Atlantis. They were just investigating the submarine that sank at the beginning of the movie, and one thing lead to another. Nice detective work during the investigation. Also nice use of the characters - each one bringing something relevant to the story, and not stealing screen-time from the real star (Aquaman). I especially liked Wonder Woman's short history lesson on Atlantis. It just feels right, since Diana's back-story is deeply rooted in Greek mythology as well. Like I said, this movie had a pretty good balance between its characters. There was even time for some neat character moments, like the growing Superman-Wonder Woman relationship which was handled pretty well. I have nothing against the pairing, it's just not my favorite, but it was tolerable here.

Aquaman's powers are used well enough, such as his telepathic abilities to communicate with sea creatures (when he saves the other heroes from some sea monster or whatever that was), or him being able to touch the Trident and use its powers (apparently, only royalty could touch it - and Arthur was qualified enough). There are some great moments during all the fighting, especially towards the climax of the movie. The way Arthur deals with Black Manta was pretty anti-climatic but pretty awesome and amusing nevertheless. As a bonus, we get to see and hear this version of Aquaman exclaim "Outrageous!", as a great callback to the brilliant incarnation of the hero seen in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I'm not trying to bash Matt Lanter's voice work here, since I quite enjoyed it (as well as some of his previous work), but he doesn't really have the same effect or charm John DiMaggio had when uttering this catchphrase. I know he wasn't supposed to mimic that previous version of the character and it was only a small nod to it, but still. The final battle between the League and Orm was good, but it felt as though the villain was too powerful. I guess the Trident was supposed to be the real reason, but it was pretty surprising seeing the heroes getting beaten up like that, especially after the previous movie showed us just how powerful they are.

It's only natural for Arthur to be the one to defeat Orm, after his armies turn against him once they discover the Prince was actually the one to kill their Queen. Arthur then delivers one final punch to Orm, and then an inspiring speech to the soldiers. It's a neat moment which leads to him accepting his destiny and becoming a bridge between the two worlds. The movie ends with him being crowned King of Atlantis, joining the Justice League (as "Aquaman", the name online reports have given him), and leaving alongside Mera towards a new battle. A battle which we get to see, sadly not animated, during the end credits. It's a nice way to end the movie. But of course, there's also a post-credits scene, which seems to imply we haven't seen the last of Orm, and that a super-villain team-up might be the plot of the next Justice League animated movie. I for one am looking forward to that.

Aquaman's character design looked pretty great, and his voice actor did a good job here. Then again I liked pretty much all the character designs - even the ones carried over from War, with most of the same voice actors. There are also the re-used character designs from other shows and movies, most notably Orm/Ocean Master, who has the same look as he did on Young Justice. But since he was barely featured on that show, I honestly don't mind. The other more notable example would be Sarah Charles, Cyborg's love interest in this movie, who appeared in only a couple of scenes and their romance was even more rushed through than Aquaman and Mera's, if that's possible. Her character design also originates from Young Justice, where she was Dr. Serling Roquette. And then there's also a random character who shares the design of Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark), also from Young Justice, who has been used in another animated project in the meantime, a Scooby-Doo direct-to-DVD movie. Again, I don't really mind since I think she looks pretty cute. Seeing as how Phil Bourassa is the lead character designer on this movie and was also on Young Justice (and is apparently involved with pretty much every new DC animated project, which is pretty great) this doesn't really bother me at all. Just figured it's something worth mentioning.

[​IMG]
    All in all, I think this is a good movie. The story works for the most part, and I think it works well enough as an Aquaman origin story. His character arc was good, and it was entertaining. It's not a perfect movie but it manages to tell a good story, and balance a pretty large number of characters. There are lots of neat character moments, mixed in with all the back-story and action scenes. It has good pacing, and the animation was pretty great as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully the next movie(s) will just continue to improve things, just as this one did compared to War. As for Aquaman... well, now that he's joined the Justice League, he should be present in any follow-up movies, though how much he'll be used remains to be seen. Until then, I'll just say that it's pretty great to have Aquaman once again in a positive light, not treated like a joke character or a darker anti-hero. My favorite animated version will probably always be the one from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but this one is good as well and will hopefully continue to appear in future animated movies.

6. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

A good retrospective overall, but has anyone ever noticed that the Filmmation Aquaman tends to be ignoed while fans more or less make drinking games out of lampooning his Super-Friends incarnation?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

^^I'm not all that familiar with the difference between the Filmation and Super Friends version. Forgotten or do the two often get lumped in together when critiqued?

I'm wondering when and if WBA will start depicting Aquaman as the DCEU Jason Momoa version in the next few years.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see that happen, actually.

Outside instances like Wonder Woman's and Superman's costumes in Justice league Action, I don't think DC Animation is all that focused on matching their characters to the movies unless in very specific, and rare, instances. But that could very well change after Justice League or the Aquaman solo :shrug:.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if their idea of matching with the Momoa version is just giving him a beard more often and be done with it :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

True, but they did match the 'Conan' version with the hook from the comics on JL and JLU then shifted back to the classic design with a few blips of a super buff chest in The Brave and The Bold and a smidge in Flashpoint Paradox. It would kind of cool to see a Momoa-influenced Aquaman team up with the Kaldur Aqualad in the future even if it's a one in done movie or a short.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At the very least, it's something I see being a case-by-case basis depending on what version of Aquaman they want to use ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

At the very least, some random easter egg in Hipp's art style during an ep. of TTG! -- but I suppose between Flash-Cyborg-Aquaman, I am interested to see how the public receives Momoa when JL Part 1 comes out. Aquaman's not in Action, he's set in the DC Universe canon, Earth 16 canon, and TTG canon... -- I'm ready for a non-orange suit. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I hope They do something with Aquaman in YJ now that the Show's been revived for S3. Oh, It's now titled Young Justice: Outsiders by the way. And It's airing on DC's new streaming service with potentially other cancelled shows they could revive. The Synopsis said that The Team takes on its great challenge yet it takes on Meta human Trafficking and a terrifying threat it creates for A society caught in the Crossfire of A genetic arms race spanning the globe and galaxy. I hope that threat is Darkseid, opening the door for The Forever People's return, introducing Orion And The Outsiders. Hopefully, This season will be a even bigger success than both S1 and 2 combined, leaving the Series to be renewed for S4.http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/0...-debut-on-upcoming-dc-branded-digital-service

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

A sure fire way of that is if he's the current leader of the JL when the season starts. Aside from their guest appearances, it's mostly about the Team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, The League sure changes leadership after every 1-5 years. And you think that's the only thing that's gonna happen with S3? It's gonna play elements from both S1 and 2 and the tie in comics because they're all canon to the show, Phil Bourassa has started work on S3 and has already done some scripts and cast members like Khary Payton, Jason Spisak, Danica McKellar, Jesse McCartney, and Stephanie Lemelin are all recording lines for S3, Confirming their return to the show. I hope More Cast members like Alyson Stoner, Nolan North, Mae Whitman and Yuri Lowenthal confirm they're back for S3 too.
    http://www.cbr.com/young-justice-season-3-voice-work-underway/
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5oLLKzWAAA-MXf.jpg

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?rid=1223

15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure why the Filmation era Aquaman is usually forgotten. It was a pretty decent cartoon, and Aquaman was the star as opposed to Super Friends where he was part of an ensemble cast. None of those cartoons are that great but they had some kind of charm from what I remember. I haven't really watched any of Aquaman's classic cartoons in a while, so I don't know how well they aged though.

(I know I wrote an article or two about the older Aquaman cartoons as well, back when we had blogs on the site. I probably still have drafts for those somewhere in my computer.)

It would be kind of nice to see an Aquaman inspired by Jason Momoa animated at least once. They could basically use the DCAU design (from Justice League) with some minor changes and a darker hair color. :p

Also, it's kind of funny how since the last time this thread has been updated, Aquaman hasn't really appeared anywhere (he had some minor cameos in The Lego Movie, The Lego Batman Movie - from what I understand, haven't watched that one yet, Justice League Dark, and in a deleted scene from an episode of Justice League Action).

Remember this discussion is mostly about Aquaman. There's a separate News & Discussion Thread for everything concerning Young Justice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1