1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Aquaman" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Feb 20, 2015.

1. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

AQUAMAN
    Release: July 27, 2018 October 5, 2018 December 21, 2018

Who needs a shirt
    ?

[​IMG]

#unitetheseven

#1 KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Holy crud, Aquaman :eek:!!!

And the trident :D!

Honestly, I think Momoa, and by extension Aquaman's movie-design, looks pretty good from just this one image. While it's a little colorless, much like a lot of the DCCU costume so far, it still has some classic Aquaman orange on the armor and the pants look like they're green. Not to mention it keeps Aquaman's belt ;).

I wonder if we'll get a "Unite the Seven" poster for each member of the League? Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman would be obvious, but I wonder if we'll get to see Cyborg and Flash in-costume? And if they'll reveal who Green Lantern is?

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, this is a nice surprise. Like I said the colors of the comics can translate well if costume designers are smart enough. They just see bright colors and don't think how to translate them correctly. Anywho, I love it.

At first I thought this was for the solo film, which is not possible yet. I instantly thought 'Seven Seas'. Yeah looking good, but yeah now we need the other members who we haven't even heard from yet like Cyborg and Flash.

4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

That looks great.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Honestly I still prefer the Aquaman design from Justice League/Justice League Unlimited but this does look good. Aquaman still appears to be gruff and respectable and hopefully with this depiction people will FINALLY stop treating the guy like a joke. And yeah I'm interested in the entire "seven" they're talking about. We obviously have Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman and I know that Cyborg is going to be in this movie to. So I'm assuming the others are Flash and Green Lantern who will likely at least be making cameos throughout. So... actually thinking about it this is reminding me of the beginning of the Justice League TV series where you obviously have an established Batman following in the continuity of the follow up from Superman's last big adventure and then connecting the other pieces. Which hey would be a way to make a pre Justice League movie all take place in one film. Of course thinking about it Civil War is also likely going to have this sort of set up as well. Since that film will have Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Falcon, Black Panther, Spider-Man and... I'm sure they can squeeze in another hero in the mix and make a seven focused promotional image. Though Marvel does have the advantage of having most of the heroes established over DC but hey DC does have the advantage of building more buzz with this movie first as we're going to have to likely go through Age of Ultron and Ant-Man before we get a lot of major Civil War buzz. Still good image and I like what they're building to and hope to see more of these kind of pictures soon for everyone else of the seven.

6. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

So no blond Aquaman? That lame. The cast could use some hair color diversity.

7. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

There's highlights in his hair, although those might be white for all we know.

8. RoryWilliams

I prefer the actual diversity of having a Polynesian Aquaman.

9. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

You want an example of how bad the Justice League movie will be? Look no further than that Aquaman poster.

They continue to push the joyless, grimdark tone. No maturity, no humanity. Just emo whining.

10. RoryWilliams

Which is funny because across the web people seem to like it.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, even I'm not that big on the DCCU's direction under Snyder but that promo image certainly got me hyped :D.

12. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Yeah.......I guess.

You know how a direct transfer from comic to movie may be a bit silly by mainstream terms (wolverine's colorful costumes for example)? Its like the only way to take Aquaman seriously is by revamping him into what we see now. Grim dark and stern looking. The man is a king though, so whatevs.

I actually liked his interpretation in that recent JL movie. Never had a problem with Aquaman, and his multiple animated incarnations(never read his comics). Its pretty obvious The mood and tone of the Dark Knight Trilogy is seeping into the DCCU....just a given. I'm open to this new version, but in my opinion, he looks weird. As in not similar to what I'm acustomed to.

Its kinda like those 2 GiJoe movies. Saw both in theaters during their respective releases. I enjoyed Rise of the Cobra, and was completely aware it was based on an 80s cartoon. Most people didn't like that aspect, so the sequel was retooled into just another run of the mill action flick. I enjoyed Retaliation, but it lost the personality of the first Joe movie. Hasbro wanted to increase their bottomline, so they fed the mainstream audience/least common factor).

13. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I like the badass Conan of the sea look for Aquaman, All he needs now is the left hand hook and he's good to go.

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Nah, too 90's.

I personally like the Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman ("Outrageous!"), but I don't think that depiction would fit what DC's going for here. Optimism? Mirth? We can't have that.

I don't have a problem with a Pacific Islander Aquaman. Nowhere in Arthur's bio and mythos does it say that Aquaman has to be Caucasian and blond, just a scion of Atlantis. Where is it written that all Atlanteans (or capes, for that matter) have to be white?

15. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Yeah it does.

16. RoryWilliams

Honestly "He was the victim of racial discrimination because he was a white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes" was always a really stupid plot point. Bring on Pacific Islander Aquaman!

17. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Wait, really? Pfffff news to me. Talk about flip flopped! Pacific Islander Aquaman it is heh.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd say the best way they could go with Aquaman's depiction is to use how he currently is in the comics. Not as bombastic or comedic as he is in Brave and the Bold, but not devoid of levity or optimism and can sometimes be just as dramatic. I think the best of both worlds would be to combine that depiction with Peter David's 90's Aquaman (which I'm getting a big sense of here) for his portrayal in the DCCU :).

I'd never had a problem with it since Arthur's a half-breed and Atlanteans are often depicted as Xenophobic to a certain degree...but I see your point, even if a blonde hair and blue eyes Aquaman will always be how I imagine the character :sweat:.

19. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

The only real stumbling block is the fact they have a Pacific Islander playing an Atlantean. Atlantis = Atlantic Ocean not Pacific. However, that could be a whole story plot in and of itself.

20. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Maybe he's the love child to unite the two kingdoms? :p