1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

April's Drawing Board Open - Best Couples

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by Barb Gordon, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

April's Drawing Board Open - Best Couples

Hey all! It's time once again for another DB Open!

I'm Barb, a mod and occasional artist who finally got her hands on being in charge of one of these contests...be afraid... :p

First, the basics:

OK, for the benefit of any first timers, let me introduce the general concept.
    On the first of every month I'll be starting a new competition with a given theme open to each and every person who wishes to post a picture (or pictures), in any medium from pencil to pastel, from photoshop to photography proper. You must then post your entries in this thread (which will be stuck at the top of the Drawing Board).

Your vote counts!
    Then, on the 25th of each month, the window for posting your entries closes, and I'll throw the voting open to everybody on Toon Zone, even those who haven't posted a picture, to sudmit their votes to me (and from now on, voting for your own picture isn't allowed!). The system will be familiar to those of you who have taken part in the Cafe's Avatar contests: Give your favourite piece three votes, your second favourite two votes, and your third favourite one vote.

And the winner is..!
    Then, on the last day of the month, voting will be closed, and I will declare a winner, based on your votes, as well as two runners up. Winners will get to stick their tongues out at the other entants and gloat to their friends.

And the theme for April is:

Best Couples

I'd like to address a point that we would like to be made in all these contests from now on. Beyond seeing a vast array of different styles from a variety of wonderful artists, the point of the monthly themed contests is to see who's picture best fits the theme. Many drawings are absolutely spectacular, but do they fit the theme in the best way possible? Look for the pictures that seem to best fit the theme to you, then among those, that's when the artist's drawing skill comes into play, and you decide whose done the better work. Theme first, drawing talent second.

So for this month's theme, show us a bit of your romantic side! We're looking for chemistry with this theme. Not only seeing what pairings you artists think up, but who shows some great chemistry between the two characters in whatever they're doing. Show us your fav couples from anywhere, TV, literature, comics, cartoons, even your life!

Got it? yay, so let's get started! Remember, the deadline is April 25th, so get moving!

~Barb

2. Outlander00

Outlander00 Another Stand Alone Complex

Ugh... and here I was prepared for the OTHER idea... ah well... Back to the drawing board :p

3. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't worry - we hope to have lots of activities which will suit the other plans!

4. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Ooohhh... now this is my kinda' thing. I'll see if I can squeeze in an entry once I get done with my entry for a Masters of the Universe art contest. :D

Just a quick question: Can we use a pairing from a video game? Just curious, since my backup entry (just incase my other one goes south) is video games based.

Jus' wondering! :)

5. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

As Barb says - ANYTHING goes. See it as a clients brief. He wants to see a picture which really displays two character's chemistry. Something that visually does that is his main aim - he doesn't care where it's from, as long as we instantly see what those two characters have got which makes them together look SO.. amazing.

It is harder than it sounds. It's not simply trying to make a cutey/lovely pic like feb, it's trying to illustrate a feeling that makes the couple. It's pretty hard. I'm not sure what I'll do yet.... :)

Hopefully this is a cool springboard for some great 'character' pics!

6. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Anything that features chemistry, eh?

OK, I'll come up with something in a few days. Maybe a wedding with a beaker and a bunsun burner...or something. Nah, too Muppet-esque...

;)

-Tim

7. wriggle

wriggle Wriggly Worms!

:( This one sounds hard. Too hard for me.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna post anything though! Bwahahaha! You'll never get rid of me! :D

But hmm... chemisty. That is hard. Even to vote for. Probably it'll be the best drawn piccie that wins. Cause chemistry is hard to capture. :p Ahh well. I'm in for the fun, so I dont mind!

8. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is hard - it's more of a challenge. No one is saying that it's expected! See it as a goal. It's an aim rather than an expectation! I have faith we'll see some great work!

Don't take my point too seriously. We just want to place more emphasis on the idea and how the picture relates to the title. It's to hopefully open up voting a little more so people aren't just voting for stunning visual CG pics (like mine! lol - JOKING) - but ones which work to the title and do their jobs well.

It's an attempt to broaden the criteria to what makes a great pic.

Just do your best as always! I have no idea myself how to pull it off - but it's an exciting goal to aim for!

9. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

A nice challeneg there Barb. Looking forward to seeing everyones pics. I may even remember to vote this month.

10. Dee

Dee What?

alllright!!

best fits the theme!

11. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

I actually drew a picture for this last night, and am CGing it as we speak. Quick question though; do the couples have to be from fan works? Can they be just regular, made up people?

-Aximlli-

12. Dee

Dee What?

Is this the first one?

Here's my entry... do you even need to ask? :)

[​IMG]

Lucy and Ricky are my favorite couple and the comedic chemistry is perfect.

13. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Mines nearly done. A few quick modifications and some backgrounds and we'll have what I think is my finest pic in the thread.

14. Galaxia

Galaxia My Favorite Ed

Oh wow...what a cool theme! ^_^ I have a pretty good idea on what I'm going to do, too ^_^

Delia97 - I love that drawing so much! It's really cute :)

15. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

With Lucy on top - as she always is! Lovely use of colours - I do love my purples! Nice relaxed posture and a lovely start. Nice to see some TV getting an airing here rather than just toons and comics!

Got to get my thinking cap on...

16. Outlander00

Outlander00 Another Stand Alone Complex

A rather interesting (and refreshing) idea, delia... Great colors and rendering :)

17. Dee

Dee What?

hehe thanks!

I wanted to do something really different.

Ever since I was little, I looked up to Lucy, my favorite comedianne. I found an adorable photo of Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and I drew something based on it.

Im very proud of the background and the contrast between the large fabric background and the heart background.

18. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

Just breathe and have some fun guys! Some of you seem to making this idea too complicated for yourselves...like I do with math problems *shudders*, just relax and enjoy drawing.

That being said, great pic to start us off with Delia! I love "I Love Lucy", it's such a great show, and Ricky and Lucy are definitely a great couple. I loved how you have them in the signature heart that was used in the shows opening so much, it really adds to the scene. Not to mention the lovely expressions on both their faces and the overall really good coloring. We're off to a wonderful start!

~Barb

19. Dee

Dee What?

hehe I saw the theme and I drew it in about twenty minutes, and colored it in another 15. It was easy and I knew IMMEDIATELY what I wanted to do. The mention of doing it in theme along with anything including from TV made it extra easy to choose this. Lucy rules!

20. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Hey Delia, that rocks! How'd you ever come up with THAT subject? I never thought I'd see Lucy and friends up here at the Drawing Board; you've got some 'splainin' to do!

:)

-Tim