1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Discontinues iPod Classic

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by rggkjg1, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Various sources and Apple (indirectly - couldn't find an official statement/press release) are confirming the iPod classic has been discontinued earlier this month. If you go to Apple's website and compare iPod models, the iPod classic is no longer on the page:http://www.apple.com/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

I'm feeling annoyed here as I try and comprehend the lack of logic with these Apple devices. I guess none of it matters since I have an 80 gig iPod classic. None the less, we still get the Shuffle and Nano. I won't even get into that since I've felt those are pointless devices. Maybe just as pointless is the iPod touch. Basically it's the iPhone, but without the phone?

When I got my first iPhone a few years ago, I was semi excited to put ALL my music on the iPhone. Of course, I was shocked to find out that an iPhone's highest capacity (at the time) was 8 - 16 gigs. I couldn't get why everyone made such a big deal about this phone every time one comes out when it couldn't even come close to holding the same amount of music an iPod classic could.

I currently have 45 gigs of music (which I guess is my main point/where I'm going with all this). The only device right now that can satisfy that is a 64 gig iPod touch. I think 80 gigs was a great amount of space for a device for music. Despite being an iPhone (minus the phone) a potential 80 gig iPod touch would be a great substitute/upgrade from an iPod classic. As I typed this all up and navigated the Apple website, it looks like I got my wish of an iPhone (6) that can hold the same amount of space as my iPod, and that I'll be able to put ALL my music on the phone one day. Until then (and even after), I'll continue on with iPod classic. God forbid if something happened to it, I have some alternatives available, but it would still be cheaper/easier to buy a new one over an iPhone 6.

2. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

I've had a 32GB iPod touch for over a year now to hold my ever-increasing music collection. Before that I used to listen to music on my old 8GB iPhone 3, which inevitably became too small to hold everything. (And my current iPhone doesn't speak iOS 8, so I'll have to replace THAT one as well.)

I had thought about getting an iPod classic with the click wheel at the time, and the amount of space it could carry was enticing (160GB holy crap!), but I couldn't get used to the navigation or the small screen. Touch screens are just easier for me, I guess.

One thing I wish it had was something that lets you remove pre-installed apps. When am I gonna want to check stock updates?

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

It's kind of sad to see it go, but I have a Nano myself. I like the small size and I don't need a ton of memory. I still have about three gigs worth of space left and I honestly have a gig or two worth of songs I literally could not care less about and can get rid of if I need more space.

4. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Companions,

this sucks. i was planning on getting the classic because my ipod nano recently started having screen problems. guess i 'll have to chose between another nano or a touch.