1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

APM music disccusion forum

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by DaffyDonaldQW93, Sep 20, 2013.

1. DaffyDonaldQW93

This is a forum to discuss APM cues and what you think of them.

APM is nn old company that originally did sheet music. Now it hadles distrution of small copyrighted pieces (as well as PD arrangements). Licensing sure is cheap with APM, ever wonder how Spongebob fuels music for the never ending milking of the show?

But here is a small sampling of my favorite cues:

Bartmania A- A soundalike parody of "The Simpsons" theme, it could even be audioswapped instead of using the real theme if they wanted for an upcoming episode. This was composed by longtime Butch Hartman musical director Guy Moon, which, and MTV Networks' reliance on APM, made the Simpsons parody scene in "Channel Chasers". Also. another notable use was brieifly in the Spongebob pilot "Help Wanted"

The Lineman Mermaid Man's non-FIlmation Aquaman parody theme. It was based on a previous cue I can't put my finger on. Allthough part of the APM-owned NFL FIlms library, it has a lot of uses.

Flop and Go It seems the xylophone section was inspired by Richard Stone's "Animaniacs" cues because Rita and Runt pop into my head. Can be found on the expansion CD of Kid Pix Studio Deluxe.

So, could you give critiqies on your favorite APM cues, or correct any of the information about APM.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

A couple years ago I maintained a blog where I (and others) identified a number of APM tracks. Unfortunately, I closed the blog, but I moved many of the APM guides (anything dealing with animation) to the Toonzone WIki.

Does this thread have to be limited to APM? There are many other music libraries that shows and movies have utilized.

3. AllenJ

AllenJ Member

I've contributed a lot of information to Speedy's APM breakdowns (at his blogs and on the Toonzone Wiki). I even started my own blog for identifying APM cues in SpongeBob (link).

The previous cue you're thinking of is probably "Man, Go Man!" by Ralph Dollimore, which was used in the Season 8 SpongeBob episode "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!" Interestingly, most of the later Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes have switched to using a soundalike theme composed by Pat Irwin (see "Back to the Past" and "Mermaid Man Begins"); the last episode to use "The Lineman" was "Shuffleboarding" back in Season 6.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

There are a couple Saturday Night Live tracks I've always wondered about ever since I got into stock music. One is the title card music to the "Wake Up and Smile" sketch. The other is the suspenseful 50s B-movie-esque music in the "It's a Wonderful Life alternate ending" sketch, specifically when the mob storms Mr. Potter's office and George Bailey beats him up. I doubt either were created for the show, so they have to be stock music. Anyone know either of those?

5. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to bump this up, but there is this one cue I'd like to bring up.

It's a country/western guitar tune. It appears at the open of the Saturday Night Live skit with James Stockdale and Ross Perot (Stockdale's Joyride). It can also be heard on an episode of Beavis and Butthead, Good Credit, when Tom Anderson is driving in his camper.