1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Anyone Remember This ?] Late 1980's Toon Stars Warn You Not to Do Drugs

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Chris Sanders MSX, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    First of all this article is one of the most hillarious peices I have ever read and second I actually remember this thing . And I loved it. I had been searching for it for years. I saw it in a library but somebody ahd taken it out. I've even considered stealing it from Blockbuster, however not being able to rent videogames for a video about a whole bunch late 1980's toon stars telling some kid not to do drugs is just a bit sad.

Anyway I'm just wondering If anyone else remembers this video/special. It's like Matt says in the article, if you've ever seen it, you'll never forget it.

Go here to read the whole thing : http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0712/index.html

2. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

I used to see it at a bunch of video stores, but I never got around to getting it (even though it's a free rental). I think I may have missed out on it at a local store, cuz I haven't seen it there for awhile, and it's not like it's a popular video. :p

I'd really like to see it, if only to see the animated ALF again! I haven't seen the cartoons ALF or ALF Tales for around a decade or so, since it has never been re-run. :(

3. Zechs

Zechs Rabbit in a box

I soooooooooooo rember that show. I think I watched it every time it came on I miss the good ol' days.

But I dont think out moon plas would agree :moon::moon2:

4. ScarletSpeedstr

Now THAT would be interesting.

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

They showed this to us in school, even though we were a little old for it. I remember I had read about it in TV Guide ( for some reason I read a lot of TV Guide as a kid) and was a little disappointed. I don't know what the heck I was expecting, maybe a giant gaggle of toon stars running around together or a plot that made sense, but I was let down.

6. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

Oh yes I remember this, and like others I absolutely loved it. Anytime it was on I would watch it. I'd like to see it again to, as even though it doesn't hold up well now I'm sure, it was a major part of my childhood memories.

7. J.C.

J.C. Citizen of Cobra-La

You know, I was just watching this a couple weeks ago while going through some old tapes to see what was recorded on them. It was a pretty big deal when this came out, being talked about a lot on television and having that bit in TV Guide. I remember being a little disapointed at the time that Michaelangelo didn't have a bigger part, but atleast the Muppet Babies got a good amount of screen time and had some funny lines during the roller coaster ride. Still, it was a pretty good special.

8. BrendaBat

BrendaBat WTF!?

Chris Sanders, thank you for posting this thread!! That article really made my day :D
    Being reminded of this cartoon and reading that hilarious article had me laughing so hard I got teary-eyed and couldn't breathe!

I remember watching this video in 3rd or 4th grade as a part of that stupid D.A.R.E. program (anyone else remember when D.A.R.E. was HUGE in the elementry schools?). Anyway, even at that young age I was still a cynical brat and I ticked off the D.A.R.E. cop when I pointed out how lame and unrealistic the video was. But looking back, I now realize how insanely amusing it is to see Pooh and Papa Smurf discuss smoking crack together :p

Now I wish I could see that video again. Just thinking about it throws me into hysterical laughter fits :D :D :D

9. Obi

Obi SEVEN. MONDAY.

Oh how I love X-Entertainment....

10. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Yes, I remember watching that one.

It made an impression, seeing cartoon characters from so many different studios all in one shot. In that respect it bore some resemblence to 'Roger Rabbit.'

11. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

Uh, Your welcome. And Yeah I definetly remember D.A.R.E ! Wish I knew where my shirt was. :p

12. Mackenzie Rainelle

Mackenzie Rainelle Anime Psychoanalyst

I've seen that before..... When I was in 5th grade, our DARE program showed it to us, even though it was dated by then and none of us knew who ALF was. ^^;;;;

13. LightAngel

LightAngel Child of Twilight

I think I still have this on tape somewhere. It used to be one of favorites, since it had all of my favorite cartoon characters at the time. I was so tickled that Garfield showed up it wasn't funny.

14. Czar Gato

Czar Gato Walkin' on the wild side

Are you kidding? Of COURSE I remember that! CBS or whichever station that produced it used to air it over and over and over. The thing I remeber most about it was Michelangelo from TMNT was in it.

15. Nin-Nin69

Nin-Nin69 [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]

I LOVED THIS CARTOON!!! :D :D :D Unfortunally for me I can't find a copy of it anywhere. I think I taped it, but I never seemed to find it. Maybe some day in the future it will be rereleased on DVD. :cool:

16. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Saw this special in freshman year of high school (yes, I'm getting old, teenyboppers! :) ); as a teenager by that point (and already jaded by exposure to simplistic "just say no to drugs" messages from an 80's childhood and on the heels of a cheesy "Flintstone Kids Say No To Drugs" special), I figured the whole thing was pretty cheesy/ineffective (and thinking how dated it'd be in a few years with a bunch of popular-at-the-moment characters being used vs. more "timeless" ones). Wonder if, were it made a few years later, we could've seen Bart Simpson used in the thing...

-B.

17. mbaker

mbaker Active Member

I remember that special. It aired on every station on the planet. (Broadcast, and Cable) Still, the thought of Papa Smurf, and Pooh Bear talking about crack is just as fun as talking about the "drug references" on Scooby-Doo. Speaking of which, I wonder those references are the reason for Scooby's absence in this special?

18. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Scooby wasn't in the special because he didn't currently have a series. I CASTTR happened sometime after A pup named Scooby Doo was cancelled.

19. Nin-Nin69

Nin-Nin69 [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]

Ok then. In this case why wasn't Captain N the Game Master in this? That show was still around then and was just as popular as Alf and Garfield. Think about it for a second. You know that on most arcade machines these days have a message that says "Winners don't do drugs."? This could be a good promotion towards the video game industry and the whole point of the video if he talks about how drugs will effect playing video games or even his train of thought.

20. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

This special in, what, 1990, 1991? I'm just thankful that no one thought to add Hammerman or Little Rosey to the mix.