Anyone remember the CN Friday 24 hour schedule?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by TheDaveMaybe, Nov 2, 2017.

1. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker

Adult Swim aired on Fridays for the first time in June 2007. I just wanted to know what the Friday 24 hour schedule was in 2007. Does anyone remember or have any links with said information? What shows aired at what time?

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I remember those were good times, but Adult Swim was gaining more time at this point which was unfortunate those days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. moose_tracks12

moose_tracks12 Active Member

If I remember correctly, instead of airing a whole variety of shows late Friday nights including anime like .hack and Cyborg 009 like they did back in 2004 and 2005, I think they just aired late night reruns of the CN originals airing at the time like Camp Lazlo, Foster's, My Gym Partner's A Monkey, KND, Billy & Mandy, and all the others in 2007.

4. TheDaveMaybe

Oh. That's disappointing. I was under the assumption that they would have aired old cartoons like "The Flintstones", "The Jetsons", "Scooby-Doo", etc., during the early morning hours. They definitely should have.

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I think those shows had all been shunted off to Boomerang by that point.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. wonderfly

I did some searching online, found this link, with a list of old schedules (and it take a lot of digging through to get to schedules relevant to the question asked here).

But from that page, I did find what CN's schedule on Fridays was before Adult Swim took over in June, 2007.

For example, on Friday, March 23rd, 2007, here's the schedule:

6:00 am Idaten Jump
    Episode: "Enemy"

6:30 am Pokemon Advanced Battle
    Episode: "Training Wrecks"

7:00 am Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Episode: "Dawn Of The Eds/Vert-Ed-Go"

7:30 am Codename: Kids Next Door
    Episode: "Operation: K.N.O.T./C.L.O.S.E.T."

8:00 am My Gym Partner's A Monkey
    Episode: "Cheer Pressure/Basic Jake"

8:30 am Tom & Jerry
    Episode: "Mansion Cat/Is There a Doctor in the Mouse/Cat Fishin' "

9:00 am A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
    Episode: "Ghost Who's Coming to Dinner"

9:30 am Land Before TIme
    Episode: "Tooth Crisis"

10:00 am Scooby Doo: Pirates Ahoy (animated movie)

11:30 am The New Scooby-Doo Movies
    Episode: "Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair"

12:30 pm Krypto: Super Dog
    Episode: "Iguanukkah Pt 1/Iguanukkah Pt 2"

1:00 pm Tom & Jerry
    Episode: "Unshrinkable Jerry Mouse/Catty Cornered/Saturday Evening Puss/Barbecue Brawl/Penthouse Mouse/Hic-Cup Pup/Matinee Mouse"

2:00 pm Cartoon Cartoon Top 5
    Episodes: "Racing Slicks/Huntor/Recipe For Disaster/Inoculation Day/Tight End Ed"

3:00 pm Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Episode: "Tinker Ed/Good, The Bad and The Ed"

3:30 pm Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
    Episode: "Cookie Dough"

4:00 pm Mucha Lucha
    Episode: "Curse of the Masked Toilet/Mummy With the Golden Mask"

4:30 pm Xiaolin Showdown
    Episode: "Katnappe!"

5:00 pm Pokemon: Battle Frontier
    Episode: "Aipom and Circumstance!"

5:30 pm Naruto
    Episode: "Lee's Hidden Strength: Forbidden Secret Jutsu!"

6:00 pm Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Episode: "Knock, Knock, Who's Ed?/One Plus One Equals Ed"

6:30 pm The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Episode: "Waking Nightmare/Beware of the Undertoad"

7:00 pm Pokemon Movie 9: Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea

9:30 pm My Gym Partner's A Monkey: Yesterday's Funny Monkey/Two Jakes

10:00 pm Pokemon Movie 9: Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea

11:30 pm: My Gym Partner's A Monkey: Yesterday's Funny Monkey/Two Jakes

12:00 am The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Episode: "Waking Nightmare/Beware of the Undertoad"

12:30 am Squirrel Boy
    Episode: "Born To Be Mild/Yer Out!"

1:00 am Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
    Episode: "Emancipation Complication"

1:30 am The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Episode: "Lil Pork Chop/Skarred for Life"

2:00 am Camp Lazlo
    Episode: "Nothing Club, The/Loogie Llama"

2:30 am Xiaolin Showdown
    Episode: "Crystal Glasses"

3:00 am My Gym Partner's A Monkey
    Episode: "Poop Scoop/Leaf Of Absence"

3:30 am Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
    Episode: "Make-Believe It Or Not"

4:00 am Camp Lazlo
    Episode: "Snake Eyes/Racing Slicks"

4:30 am My Gym Partner's A Monkey
    Episode: "I Fear Pretties/Magic Fish"

5:00 am .Hack//Roots
    Episode: "Pursuit"

5:30 am Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Episode: "Rent-A-Ed/Shoo Ed"

Commentary: So yeah, this is just 2 to 3 months prior to Adult Swim taking over Friday nights/Saturday mornings...and by this point, the late night CN line-up was...overall, pretty stale. No retro "Boomerang" type material, and the one anime they have is "Hack/Roots" (and with the dreaded 5 am time slot, it's pretty apparent they were just trying to kill any trace of it's existence). Otherwise, it was all current CN material, except for "Xiaolin Showdown" at 2:30 am (which is a nice change of pace).

Other observations: I do like how the mornings had a bit more variety back then (with "A Pup Named Scooby Doo" and the "Land Before Time" TV shows). And starting the day with Pokemon at 6:30 am was nice. The "Miguzi" block was in decline by this point (they were airing Naruto - so what was to distinguish the block from Toonami?). Miguzi would be cancelled by June.

This was just a couple months after the 2007 "Aqua Teen Hunger Force/Mooninite" bomb scare in Boston, in late January 2007 (so this was shortly after Jim Samples resigned). And of course, the dreaded "Fall 2007" was just a few months away...

• Agree Agree x 1
    #6 wonderfly, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  7. TheDaveMaybe

Thank you for that. I have to say, that's quite disappointing. You have one night a week where you are on for 24 hours, you'd think they'd take advantage of that. If I had been in charge of scheduling, I would have aired classic Hanna-Barbera material from midnight to 6 AM. Oh, well. I do have to say, I had no idea that "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" was still airing on CN in 2007. I don't remember the show being on at all back then, but to be fair, I was in school.

I guess this just proves that all the people who complain about Adult Swim taking up too much of the CN schedule or wanting CN to get rid of Adult Swim isn't going to improve the schedule at all. Arguably, it would just be made worse.

#7 TheDaveMaybe, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  8. wonderfly

I've discussed the history of Adult Swim's scheduling elsewhere, but my preferred schedule for Adult Swim was Sunday through Thursday, from 11 pm to 2 am (which is what it was in 2003). That allowed CN to still air nostalgic stuff from 2 am to 6 am Sunday thru Thursday, and Friday nights and Saturday nights were still completely devoted to Cartoon Network.

They lost Saturday nights/early Sunday mornings starting in April 2004. So from April 2004 to June 2007, CN had only Friday nights/early Saturday mornings to air CN material. And they were utilizing that one night much more effectively in 2004/2005. By late 2006/early 2007, it was a wasteland, just waiting for Adult Swim to take over...

• Like Like x 2
    #8 wonderfly, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Bingo. 2003 was the most balanced when Friday nights/early Saturday mornings were regular CN content and Saturday nights/early Sunday mornings were action & anime content. That made CN open to kids in grade school 24/7 throughout the weekend. Then like you said Sun-Thur it was [adult swim] from 11pm-2am, each night before kids went back to school next morning. They made sure most kids were in bed by the time [adult swim] came on.

Adult Swim has been starting at 8pm since 2014 for reasons and opinions that's been brought up before (like FOX shows or high ratings). I don't know about average kids of this day and age, and I understand there's so many other outlets now to watch TV shows, but when I was growing up in elementary school, it was normal to be up throughout the 8 and 9pm hours to watch your favorite shows. 7-9pm were the primetime hours for kid networks to premiere new episodes on Friday nights. My parents made me go to bed by 10pm, but some nights I was up that late especially during the summer time or school break.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheDaveMaybe

Yea, but we have streaming services and the internet, so it isn't really cost effective for CN to be on at 8PM, if they don't feel any need to do so. And besides, Nick at Nite starts at 8, and no one ever complains about Nick at Nite starting at that time.

11. wonderfly

Nick/Nick at Nite has always been that way - with CN, we just remember how it used to be...

Looking at the schedule for Adult Swim now, it's apparent that Adult Swim's "prime time" hours (aka "peak hours") are from 10 pm to 2 am. The things they tend to air before 10 pm and after 2 am tend to be filler or padding (like reruns of "King of the Hill"). The one exception is Saturday nights, when they're airing Dragon Ball Super or Samurai Jack at 8 pm.

If they're just going to keep on airing old irrelevant FOX comedy reruns, why not give those spots back to CN and let them air old irrelevant CN material?

This is somewhat a digression from the topic at hand, but it goes back Adult Swim hours in 2003 - back then, after 2 am, they could still air retro CN material. By 2007, they had lost those 2am to 6 am slots to Adult Swim, but at least they still had Friday night/Saturday mornings, and at least Saturday thru Thursday they could air CN material up until 10 pm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mqg96

mqg96 Member

I know we have streaming services and internet, it's been that way this entire decade and it's gotten more popular throughout this decade, that's why I'm okay with [adult swim] starting at 8PM even though I believe it shouldn't lol but it is what it is. I wouldn't compare Nick@Nite to [adult swim]. This may sound crazy, but I actually thought Nick@Nite always had family oriented shows kids could enjoy with their parents. Of course Disney has always been 24/7, so that leaves Cartoon Network as the only big 3 with nothing on kids could watch for extra evening hours since 2011 at the earliest.

As stated previously, that's always been the tradition for Nick@Nite. Nickelodeon has always been Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network has always been Cartoon Network. If I remember correctly, Nickelodeon would always raise its audience of programming throughout the day. The mornings and early afternoons have always been preschool programming. The afternoons after elementary school gets out have always been Nicktoons. The evenings would be teen sitcoms (or TeenNick/Snick blocks when those used to be around), then the late nights would be Nick@Nite. I'm pretty sure Nick@Nite didn't always start at 8pm either. (not counting movie nights)

13. AmazingGumball

Even with streaming services honestly, the CN cable platform can still draw in alot of people if they put more effort in the scheduling, like pushing AS back to 8pm like they used to and airing more classics

14. TheDaveMaybe

"Full House" and arguably "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" are family-friendly, but certainly not "Friends" or "George Lopez".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AmazingGumball

i sincerely doubt the fresh prince is kid friendly

16. Astroboy6969

Astroboy6969 I've got the magic touch (DING)!

Just to clear things up, here are all 4 common sense media ratings for the shows (even though they're not always right). Fresh Prince, 11+. Full House, 9+. George Lopez, 14+. Friends, 14+.

17. AmazingGumball

they're still hardly accurate

18. Astroboy6969

Astroboy6969 I've got the magic touch (DING)!

I know. Personally, I think that Fresh Prince is lighter than Friends or George Lopez.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheDaveMaybe

Which is why I said "arguably". As Astroboy pointed out above me, it's certainly more kid-friendly than "Friends", and especially "George Lopez".

• Like Like x 1
  20. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

I never knew they aired full-time on Fridays!