1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone remember Batman: the Animated Series...in Prime Time?!?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by wonderfly, Nov 23, 2011.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Remember when Batman The Animated Series was on the air briefly in Prime Time? The pilot episode "On Leather Wings" aired in prime time on Sunday night on 9/6/92, back when the series first premiered, but in January and February of 1993, Fox tried airing B:TAS in prime time on Sunday nights!

Wouldn't it have been cool if B:TAS has gained a foothold on Sunday nights? It would've been the first "serious" cartoon (not a humor title) to gain a following in the evening hours!

I'm trying to confirm what episodes aired in prime time (to see which ones Bruce Timm and company thought were good enough for prime time airing). I did some research, and I can only find out which episodes were new premieres on Sunday Nights, so what follows below is just me going off of memory. But I remember tuning in every Sunday night, so I think this list is right.

Here's the list of every episode of B:TAS that aired on Sunday nights in January/February of 1993!

1/10/93: The Laughing Fish (premier!)
    1/17/93: Joker's Wild
    1/24/93: The Mechanic (premier!)
    1/31/93: His Silicon Soul
    2/07/93: Robin's Reckoning Part 1 (premier!)
    2/14/93: Robin's Reckoning Part 2 (premier!)
    2/21/93: Terror In The Sky
    2/28/93: I Am The Night

The ones that aren't new premiers I'm just going by memory. His Silicon Soul and and I Am The Night may need dates flipped. I distinctly remember watching Terror In the Sky on a cold February evening while my parents were out of town. Does anyone remember if this is the correct order?

2. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

3. wonderfly

Okay, sooo...apparently my memories are playing tricks on me. Looking over that link, Batman was in prime time from late December, 1992, to early March 1993. And "I Am The Night" was the first episode to air in late December. Okay, I think I recall that now...that was one of the few I missed during weekday runs, so though it wasn't a new premier episode, it was "new" for me.

Could've sworn I remember watching "Terror In The Sky", "Joker's Wild" and "His Silicon Soul" in the evening hours though.

Revised List (per that website):

12/13/92: I Am The Night
    12/20/92: Dreams In Darkness
    12/27/92: Christmas With The Joker
    01/03/93: If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?
    01/10/93: The Laughing Fish
    01/17/93: It's Never Too Late
    01/24/93: The Mechanic
    01/31/93: Joker's Favor
    02/07/93: Robin's Reckoning Part 1
    02/14/93: Robin's Reckoning Part 2
    02/21/93: No episode aired!
    02/28/93: The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne
    03/07/93: What Is Reality?
    03/14/93: Perchance to Dream

4. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Actually, the 12/27/92 episode was Joker's Wild.

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Member

WB aired the Superman Animated premiere in prime time too, didn't they? Of course, that would have been when WB was first starting out and was struggling for viewers...

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing Batman on Prime Time, but I do have an old issue of The Batman Adventures (great comic by the way) that advertises the show being on in prime time. That's about it. I'm not sure about Superman in prime time, I never heard of that.

7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I vaguely remember watching a few episodes on Prime Time. I have no real recollection of which episodes but I thought it might have been the Cat and the Claw or On Leather Wings. But I don't see it on those lists but I might remember seeing Robin's Reckoning. Would have been neat if they could have broken through on Prime Time but alas was not meant to be.

8. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

WB also aired the hour premier of Batman Beyond in prime time but that was a one time special. Though I do remember Wb airing Pinky and the Brain in Prime time and that actually lasting a while maybe they tried the same thing with Superman I don't remember.

9. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Series prime time premiere was "The Cat and the Claw, Part One"

Paul Dini and Chip Kidd's book Batman: Animated has the answers you seek. Batman: The Animated Series debuted on Sunday, September 5, 1992, in prime time with "The Cat and the Claw, Part One". The first episode to air in the show's regular, afternoon timeslot was "On Leather WIngs" on Monday, September 6, 1992. In the next few weeks following, the following episodes also aired on Sundays in prime time:

- "The Cat and the Claw, Part Two" - September 12, 1992
    - "The Clock King" - September 21, 1992
    - "I've Got Batman in My Basement" - September 30, 1992

You're welcome.

10. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

You're wrong. September 5, 1992 was a Saturday. It aired on Saturday mornings for two consecutive weeks. September 6, 1992 was a Sunday. "On Leather Wings" was the first primetime airing. The other two episodes you mentioned aired in the weekday slot.

Yes. Also, World's Finest and the first ep of MiB was repeated in primetime on October 17, 1997.

The BB info is correct.

PatB did air regularly in primetime from September 10, 1995 until July 21, 1996. Afterwards, the Christmas and Halloween eps aired in primetime in 1996 and 1997.

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting. I didn't remember B:TAS airing that long in prime time. I thought it was only the premiere and a few other episodes. But it was cool, because my parents would sit down with my brother and me to watch some of those Sunday night episodes as a family! :D And I distinctly recall watching "Joker's Wild" in prime time because I remember my dad and I laughing when the Joker does his little imitation of Curly from the Three Stooges as he sets up his bomb.

I also remember watching the premieres of Superman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond in prime time.

12. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Oops!

Oh dear. Even without a 1992 calendar handy, I should have noticed that the dates don't quite add up. Too bad Batman: Animated didn't include airtimes in the episode list. That would have helped a great deal.

Thanks for being so observant.

13. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

I think I'm on the verge of discovering why the show was pulled off of its Primetime slot.

14. wonderfly

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm thinking again about this topic, since we're discussing how awesome it would be if Batman returned to TV in this thread, (and I just noticed there were more replies here after my last post!):

See, I KNEW I wasn't the only one to remember seeing that episode in prime time. But do you have proof?

I'm also very sure that on 2/21/93, even though that link above says no episode aired, that's the week that I remember seeing "Terror in the Sky" in Prime Time.

Still trying to figure out when "His Silicon Soul" aired, I know I saw it in Prime Time...I'm thinking it was 3/7/93 (that link says that's when "What is Reality?" aired, but I don't remember seeing that in Prime Time...besides, it's a poor episode).

Others have brought up the premiers of Superman: The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond (and everyone knows "On Leather Wings" was in Prime Time) but those were specials, not a weekly Prime Time line-up.

15. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I remember Batman: TAS in prime time, but I seem to remember it being very brief.

16. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Old newspapers.

No, they pre-empted it with a movie.

It did air... unless there was a late schedule change.

No, it aired in the afternoon.

17. Tristan McClark

I don't remember it airing in Prime Time either. My fondest memories were watching it weekday afternoons. I remember watching Batman Beyond in prime time, however.

18. rkofan87

rkofan87 Member

thay aired x men in prime time too