1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone grew up with Warriors of the Wind (the 1985 New World cut of Nausicaa)?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Den-Of-Earth, May 8, 2011.

1. Den-Of-Earth

Den-Of-Earth Member

I did and actually saw it in theaters when i was 4 in 1985, it was my first anime movie and loved it so much i had my parents buy it for me on video when i was 5. I loved it so much i even made myself another copy taped off HBO for i had 2 copies and watched it anytime it came on HBO.

It really left a huge impression on me as a kid over the years but i never realized that my childhood fave animated movie was a butchery of a superior movie called Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind until i saw the uncut fansub tape in my high school's anime club. I did made myself a copy of that but still learned to accept this cut. Good thing we have a fresh new uncut dub and got it the first day it arrived on DVD and now replaced it with the Blu-Ray and i still have WOTW in my heart for it did introduced the children of the 80's to Miyazaki.

Hal Smith, Cam Clarke and Linda Gary were all exceptional.

2. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

I rented that version of the movie the day Diana died.

3. Den-Of-Earth

Den-Of-Earth Member

Diana? the princess or a relative in the family or a pet?

4. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

The princess. I first heard about her death when I arrived home from the video rental place with the movie in hand, and remember vaguely the scenes of the car crash from a distance showing on tv.

5. Den-Of-Earth

Den-Of-Earth Member

How old were you when you saw this crude edit?

6. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

I saw it a long time ago. I liked it at the time, sight unseen and Miyazaki-unknown (remember, this was the early 90s before anyone in North America heard of Hayao Miyazaki)

Seeing as I don't treasure Nausicaa so much more than some other Miyazaki films, I don't really have a strong opinion on this edit job.

7. Den-Of-Earth

Den-Of-Earth Member

Actually it was in the mid 80's when this was released in America.

Did you noticed Hal Smith, Linda Gary and Ginny Taylor with Cam Clarke were voices as well? every 80's kid knows their voices. Hal was terrific as Yupa and Mitto (aka Axel in the 80's version), don't you think?

8. Spastic Minnow

Spastic Minnow bringing kawaii back

I dubbed it onto DVD a few years ago from a rental copy from a now closed store. It's bad, but I can see how kids would like it alright and would keep a nostalgia value.

There should still be a youtube dub comparison made by a WotW defender to be found. I though t the dub was horrid though, Nausicaa (Princess Zandra) sounded like a woman in her 40's to me.

Unfortunately my VCR/DVD dubbing machine(or possibly the discs I used) turned out to be a POS. Almost every disc I created with it is now unplayable, I don't know if this is one of the ones that is still watchable but I doubt it.

9. Leaping Larry Jojo

I know. But I saw it in the 90s, and I was speaking about my own awareness of this film and Hayao Miyazaki at the time. I was actually pretty late to the rental game, I didn't actually start renting VHS tapes until around 1990.

10. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

Well my parents had to drive me to the video store. :sweat:

I actually didn't have a big problem with Nausicca's voice. It was a bit old, but I thought it was a pretty good voice in and of itself. But then, by tendency I am and always will be a dubbie.

11. Den-Of-Earth

Den-Of-Earth Member

I always thought it was June Foray but turned out to be that girl from Space Ghost.

12. Captain Maverick

sigh this nostalgia makes me sad that that will never get another month of miyazaki ever T-T. fotunetly i saw the good version first and my god it was spectacular being only 14-15 when i saw it on toonami.I gotta say that was one ofthe better moments of my mid teens.

13. Leaping Larry Jojo

Wanna hear a hilarious dub voice in an old anime? Watch the Roger Corman edit of Galaxy Express 999. Maetel is voiced like a granny there.

14. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I heard about this edit back in the '90s, but no videostore near me carried it. Thank goodness.:p
    I've always wondered what was going through the dubbers' heads when they decided to cast her with a voice like that.

#14 SpaceCowboy, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
  15. Den-Of-Earth

Den-Of-Earth Member

Oh i remember that old dub of Galaxy Express when i was a kid and that was one i had as a kid on tape.

16. Lala jai

Lala jai New Member

Hired it a few times til my father dubbed it (old school beta player and vhs) loved it, often watched it when home sick from school. Also was a astroboy fan. Then late nineties saw the neon gensis series and discovered I was a long time anime fan without even knowing what it was. When I discovered the Miyazaki DVDs I was over the moon to find nausica. The music stirs something deep inside me. Gotta love the Japanese pure genius are these work's of art. Didn't know then but after rewatchibg astro boy years later many basic science concepts were introduced through astros adventures.