1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else want to become an animator/cartoonist?

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by SmileyToonatic, Sep 1, 2015.

1. SmileyToonatic

I'm currently in 12th grade and an aspiring cartoonist/animator. I've been wanting to be a cartoonist since I was 7 years old in 2005, so now it's been ten years! I want to study Character Animation in California Institute of the Arts. I want to create cartoons on TV that have a classic, Hanna Barbera feel, I even want to pitch some ideas to Nickelodeon. I'll post more on my childhood experiences of becoming a cartoonist, plus drawings, videos and blogs I have. Feel free to post your stories on what led you to become a cartoonist, what inspires you and how your cartoons are like, etc.

Here are the rules on this thread:
    • No teasing/stealing other people's ideas
    • Encourage one another and be friendly
    That's about all I can think of. Let your creativity and ideas flow! :)

2. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

This looks like something that belongs in the General thread. And I'm not sure these kinds of 'I have ideas' threads are allowed altogether.

But I'll take a stab at it.
    I'm split down the middle with whether I want to be an animator or not. On one hand, I love writing. On the other hand, I love cartoons. I love to tell stories, but in college, I've always struggled with delivering those stories visually. I just don't have a keen eye for the craft, which is why J question my allegiance to animation as a career.

I still wanna make cartoons though. Whether making storyboards or writing stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

It's one of my main interests alongside making video games. I've been drawing since the third grade and fairly recently have been experimenting with animation. I've still got a ways to go, but I hope I'll get there soon.

4. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

Considering I'm majoring in Character Animation... yeah. It's not an easy major, though, and there's a lot of competition.

This Summer, I took an internship at the Elite Animation Academy and learned quite a bit about animating both traditionally and digitally. I met some good people there, including a former Disney animator, who taught me invaluable things about going into the animation field and possible job opportunities. The children I had to teach there were pretty great too.

And I agree with Rhaynebow, this topic belongs in the General Animation Forum.

5. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Given this is specifically about your inspiration, creativity, and technical details behind your animation dreams and career of choice, I think this thread really belongs in The Drawing Board forum, so I'll move it there.

6. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

Ever since Gravity Falls came along a few years back, I've always wanted to make a cartoon. I have some ideas flowing around in my head I want to spread out a bit and develop so I can use it in the future.