1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Been Watching TVOne's Unsung?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by the greenman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

It's basically the heir-apparent to VH1's "Behind the Music", except concentrating on R&B, Soul, and Rap artists. Also, the focus of the series is to showcase artists who never got the deserved recognition and acclaim they could have. Some artists just simply got a bad luck streak and lost it all.

VH1's BTM has covered some of the artists on this show like Teddy Pendergrass, George Clinton, and Sylvester. Some who were great for a moment on a couple of hit songs and just disappeared from the spotlight, and the stories were mostly sad.

My favorite eps have been Zapp & Roger, Phyllis Hymen, Minnie Riperton, Heatwave, DeBarge, and Deniece Williams (I didn't know she sang the theme song to Family Ties :eek:). Many of the artists stories are known, but not well-known, many know that Donny Hathway "may" have died of suicide, but this explains exactly why he "may" or may not have. Many know Florence Ballard died penniless and her story was quasi-captured in the play and film "Dreamgirls". Many know Tami Terrell died of a brain anuryseum, but she was having headaches since a child, but being abused by James Brown and David Ruffin didn't and couldn't help. Great series, and I hope the bring on some other lesser known black recording artists.

2. animagic1

animagic1 Member

Yes! It is a great series!

I have been pleasantly surprised by the in-depth information.

Hoping they do a series on The BB and Q Band and Change at some point. There was a lot of talent associated with those two groups.

3. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I've seen eps devoted to Teena Marie and Melba Moore. Unsung is a well done series.

4. the greenman

I have yet to see:

Melba Moore
    Stacy Lattisaw
    The Bar Kays
    Musical Youth

According to their website, new eps are supposed to air this Fall. I'm guessing, around October time frame.

5. animagic1

animagic1 Member

I keep missing The Musical Youth episode.

Loved the Stacy Lattisaw ep! Very optimistic and she is doing well!

6. the greenman

New season begins Jan 2, 2012

Vesta Williams- never heard of her
    Ray Parker Jr.- Ghostbusters!
    Bobby Womack- Saw this one coming since they interviewed his family on another.ep last season.
    Sheila E- Should be interesting, a distinct musician transcending gender and race.
    Whodini- Looking forward to them, they were truly underrated.
    Millie Jackson- Never heard of her either.
    Full Force- I only know from House Party, should be interesting.
    Freddie Jackson- Another one I saw coming, both him and Peabo Bryson. They more than likely bring up his Disney soundtracks.
    Atlantic Starr- Another one I saw coming, I loved their music and they had plenty of issues.
    David Ruffin- This one is going to be interesting, cause he has kinda had a very bad rep like Ike Turner. We really have to wait and see.

EDIT: It was Peabo Bryson who did the Disney soundtracks. Jackson was a contemporary of Luther Vandross.

#6 the greenman, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  7. the greenman

So, did anyone catch Vesta Williams?

I have to say it felt kinda rushed and put together not so well. Besides the fact I have never heard of her in my life or her songs, she simply came off as a diva. Though she was talented she lacked the right production team and writers that could have gotten her bigger fame, but her attitude probably closed doors.

8. staticblue

staticblue Active Member

iIs there any way to catch this seasons episodes of Unsung without Watching them on TV One? Ive switched cable providers and now dont have the channel, but am dying to catch this season!

9. the greenman

Easy, go to the TVOne website. Click Unsung, and they have the Vesta Williams full episode, as well as exclusive clips.

10. the greenman

I caught Bobby Womack's ep, and WoW, he went through a lot. I really think the Sam Cooke widow thing was a little stupid. I guess we don't live in those times anymore, but then again, things are not so shocking anymore.

11. the greenman

I caught the Atlantic Starr episode. So far this is my favorite of the season, I knew they had a couple of female vocalists, but what-was-it, six??? :eek: That's insane, and I felt sorry for Sharon Bryant and Barbara Weathers, cause they seemed to really forge the group and leave their stamps.

12. the greenman

New season begins Jun 25, 2012

Kool Moe Dee- Kinda saw this one coming
    Sly & the Family Stone- Finally
    Gerald Levert- Er, we kidna got his story in the OJays ep.
    The Marvelettes- Looing forward to.
    Angela Bofil- Never heard of her.
    Arrested Development- Kinda looking forward to
    Confunkshun- Heard of them, but not familiar with them.
    Lou Rawls- Looking forward to.

Last season was actually pretty good, I just was kinda hoping for more variety of genres.

13. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

Saw the one they did on David Ruffin. Very well done.

14. the greenman

Well, the season is off to a good start. I can tell they got a bigger budget to get guys like Clive Davis in on this one. Also the production value looks a lot better.

One major thing, Sly needed subtitles.

15. the greenman

Looks like the season finale was Gerald Levert which was pretty good. It was great to see pretty much other Unsung artists like his dad and Miki Howard come in and speak. Johnny Gill even showed up, but no Keith Sweat who is probably dealing with issues of his own.

Lou Rawls will air next season.

Arrested Development is cool too. Great to see Dionne Farris after all these years.

16. ngroove

ngroove Member

AW NUTS, on Lou Rawls wait...

Ehhh, it's not he's really Unsung anyways. Many of his songs - especically "You'll Never Find (Another Love Like Mine)" are just as Pop Staples are as Rhythm & Blues. I'm sure people definitely remembers his part in UNCF with his telethons. He's even got Frank Sinatra's respect, FRANK SINATRA!

But yeah, as I love his music, have been anticipatingly waiting, to see his story covered all the same.

Love the show, except could not care any less about the rap eps, save the Fat Boys. Would be nice to re-air the Melba Moore ep sometime, never seen it, as much as I love her jams, like "Take My Love" or "Love's Comin' At' Cha". And wondering, when will the show cover Kashif, who himself, probably in the Melba ep, as was also in the Evelyn Champagne King ep, and how about Patrice Rushen, who in my opinion, is THE old-school jammer of the late seventies to the late eighties?

Refresher on who she is (Yes, her music has been sampled, covered, by the likes of Mary J Blige, Will Smith, and Kirk Franklin since)
    [video=youtube;W2XhhuM9GZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XhhuM9GZo[/video]

17. the greenman

Yeah, I know who she is and cosign her appearing.

Rumor is Larry Williams will get an ep. Look him up and you will know why. I also believe Heavy D is getting an ep, guess we'll have to see.

18. the greenman

19. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

Looking forward to the Isaac Hayes ep.

20. the greenman

Caught Isaac Hayes episode and there was nothing really groundbreaking. Midnight Star should be interesting .