1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody know what sound effects library has these sounds?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by LDEJRuff, Jul 26, 2016.

1. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

There are some sound effects that were featured in Doug (both the Nick and Disney series), the second Angela Anaconda pilot "First Flush of Love", Max and His Alphabet Adventures, and the straight-to-video film Kung Fu Magoo. However, I have no idea what sound effects library has these sounds. Here's a list of examples:
    • Gasp/whoa track
    • Group laugh track
    • Audience applauding
    If anyone knows what sound effects library they belong to, let me know.

2. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the REALLY late reply, but the most frequently used examples of those sound effects come from the Hollywood Edge's "Premiere Edition Volume 1" sound effects library, including an overused "crowd gasp" and "audience cheering and clapping." The "Premiere Edition" library was used and overused so many times since it first came out in 1990 that many effects on it have become somewhat of a cliche, such as the "two-honk doppler truck horn", the "very high woman scream", the "kids shouting and cheering", etc. I remember "Hey Arnold" was fond of using the Hollywood Edge sound effects a LOT.
    And you thought the Hanna-Barbera sound effects library was the most overused...

3. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Well, thank you, but I already know about the Hollywood Edge and those sound effects. However the sound effects library I’m looking for contains sounds from this video (a longer version of the laugh track can be found in this video).

4. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I'm glad your impeccable knowledge of stock sound effects was put to use in this thread, because I've been finding various clips from their library on YouTube and cracking up just because I've heard them in almost every cartoon and TV show under the sun for as long as I can remember.

It's hilarious - unintentionally so, but still.

5. wiley207

Oh yes. I remember how practically EVERY cartoon show made in the 90s used that one Hollywood Edge "pottery crash" sound effect: "Doug," "Rugrats," "Ren & Stimpy," "Darkwing Duck," "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh," "Goof Troop," "Rocko's Modern Life," "The Little Mermaid" (TV series), "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog," "Aladdin" (TV series), "Shnookums and Meat," "Timon and Pumbaa," "Hey Arnold," "The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries," etc. etc. etc.!

6. wiley207

Hmmm, they may be from one of the Sound Ideas libraries, either the Series 6000 "The General" library, or the Series 1000 and 2000 libraries. "Doug" used them a lot. Or they could've actually recorded them for the show; "Doug" did use quite a few custom sound effects (mostly vocal ones performed by Fred Newman and a few others.)