1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody know of any decent rock bands nowadays?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Toon Master, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

I'm having a hard time searching for any good rock artists these days outside of The Black Keys. Does anyone know of any new bands that are any good that play rock music or is the genre really officially dead despite a few bands here or there?

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Tame Impala if you want some psychedelic-influenced rock.

Cage the Elephant for all-around rock.

Dan Croll is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it rocks enough for you. Got any kind of specific style you're looking for in rock? The genre is pretty wide. also, how far back is "new" for you? This past year? Five years?

I love that someone else likes The Hold Steady, they're a good act that flies under the radar. Bloc Party I enjoy, but I'm not really feeling their new material yet.

You're making me realize how many of the acts I enjoy currently aren't rock, but electronic-influenced, indie pop or something else.

I wouldn't say rock is dead by any means. It doesn't have the mass-influence directly since pop, rap and electronic styles have taken over, but a lot of those are certainly inspired by rock.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I would have said The Airborne Toxic Event, but I figured people might argue the "rock" label with those guys. Is it still rock if there's a violinist?

Anyway, check this out.

[video=youtube;jsiQiBmq-qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsiQiBmq-qw[/video]

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

6. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Arcade Fire - It's pretty much unanimous that these guys are the best band to come out of the aughts. Their first two albums, Funeral and Neon Bible, are awesome (haven't listened to other two).

The Shins - Admittedly, I've only listened to their first album (which came out in 2001), but it's hella fun and I've heard their second album is also supposed to be really good.

MGMT - One of my personal favorite bands of the last decade. Oracular Spectacular is pure pop goodness, while Congratulations is more experimental but also really fun.

Arctic Monkeys - Listened to their debut album. They're pretty cool. They have kind of a neo-punk vibe.

Vampire Weekend - Another personal favorite of mine. Their third album, released last year, is considered by many to be the best album of 2013. Their first two albums are also a lot of fun.

Radiohead - Though they started in the 90's, they're easily one of the best rock bands ever and they still continue to put out great stuff. Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are awesome albums.

LCD Soundsystem - I've only listened to their second album, Sound of Silver, but they've really got me wanting more. Excellent techno-dance music.

Wild Nothing - Fairly obscure compared to the others on my list, and I've only listened to their second album, Nocturne, but it's a damn fine bit of ambient dream pop.

I haven't listened to the following extensively, but they're also highly acclaimed:

Beach House
    Animal Collective
    Wilco
    The National
    The White Stripes
    The Killers
    Foxygen
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Fleet Foxes
    Sufjan Stevens

#6 Nobodyman, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014