1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthropomorphic Characters in Animation - A Discussion

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Mr. Daniel, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm totally fine with anthropomorphic animals. IMO, they're no different from any other kind of character - some are well written, and others less so.

2. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I don't mind anthros, but when the characters whole trait is being an animal, or only dose things stereotypically associated with that animal (E.G. Having a monkey character be nothing but butt and banana jokes), then it becomes a problem.

The other problem I have with anthros is the "species in name only" characters who only have the slightest hint of what species they are. You all know them, the human with animal ears and maybe a tail, but are otherwise called a "dog".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

I've always found anthropomorphic characters to be more appealing (at least generally) and original than human characters. We see humans in real life all the time, so doesn't mostly everyone else want to see something different every now and then?

4. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

One more thing, and this is concerning Gumball. Doesn't anyone enjoy the constant irony of a cat and a fish being the best of friends? If they were both human, there wouldn't be anything funny or ironic about that. Not to mention it probably wouldn't be as endearing.

5. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

Wow, didn't know a discussion about anthros could be so controversial.

Speaking of anthropomorphic characters, about a month or two ago I saw an ad in a movie theater for the UN's "Global Goals" campaign; when I first saw it I thought it was another teaser trailer for Disney's upcoming Zootopia film. I've been looking for a thread to discuss it, as it's an interesting implementation of anthropomorphic figures for no apparent reason. It was animated by Aardman (not in claymation?) and apparently aired globally in cinemas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #45 Yippee Coyote, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Ya know, one day I was thinking about this and I believe Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and Nickelodeon all had a show at one point or another starring somewhat anthropomorphic animal characters in relation to the jungle/forest. Cartoon Network sort of had My Gym Partner's a Monkey where the setting was a zoo wildlife school. Disney Channel had Brandy and Mr. Whiskers. And Nickelodeon currently has Harvey Beaks and at one point had Angry Beavers. That's... kinda bizarre how commonplace the idea is that the three main kids networks had slightly different variations of said idea.

Anyway, I'm... kind of torn on the matter. On the one hand, lots of people who care about animation had grew up seeing at least one show, film or short about an anthropomorphic protagonist or ensemble cast and I'm no exception. It's just something that has culturally become part of American animation and keeps being reinforced. And it's something I've never really minded. With that said, I would be lying if I said the way I constantly see the idea presented in animation still feels fresh. I know that taking characters with otherwise human traits and making them animals can make for a humorous choice and effect. But it's been done so frequently within the past century that I wouldn't be surprised if some felt nothing out of the effect and are just mentally numb in response.

The most concerning for me is as someone else stated here in the thread is when it gets stereotypical with how the animalistic features are presented. Be it a monkey and eating bananas or dogs chasing cats, it doesn't particularly bother me so much as it can just feel like a waste or exploring what kinds of stories you can tell revolving around anthropomorphic characters. To be honest, I think out of all the types of animated stories I like that had animal characters, they only human traits were that they could speak fluent and they did so for specific reasons. Otherwise, they mostly behaved like animals. Movies like Disney's Tarzan and the Lion King come to mind.

7. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

But what about characters like Minerva Mink or Cleo from Heathcliff or Ninja Turtles or Bojack Horseman?