1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthropomorphic Characters in Animation - A Discussion

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Mr. Daniel, Nov 8, 2015.

1. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

... Because Canada and just about all of their crappy "slice - of - life" stuff overdoing it with "kids going to school" and ruining the concept for most of us, besides execs thinking animals are funny and not putting enough thought beyond that into said concept.

2. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

Yeah, I love anthros. Ironically, anthros can bring the most human emotions to life more successfully than if it was just human chararcters. And anthros are cool excuses for wacky physics.

I don't however like when anthros are just like used superficially for fanservice and acts too human and cynical. That's why I never really got into The Looney Tunes Show in the first place. Too cynical for it's own good.

3. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Actually, Anthropomorphic animals, in a way, are talking animals because they have human characteristics and talking is a human characteristic. Human beings are mammals, thus, are animals as well.

I have to agree. I think the Watterson family try too hard to be funny because, honestly, they're not always doing anything "animal-like", At least from my point of view.

#23 DVDLooney, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
  4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

@Xxerox: We do know what anthropomorphism means: it's giving something unhuman human characteristics. So yes, letting animals talk is anthropomorphism. The same counts for the depicting of God as an old white man, that's pure anthropomorphism. (We don't know how He looks)

I agree that there's nothing wrong with anthropomorphism in cartoons, but something like ''Arthur'' is kind of boring. They are too human. Many like cartoons for their exciting, zany and surreal stories, but Arthur is just as normal as live-action shows, but with animals instead of humans.

I don't think many have anything against the anthropomorphism in Regular Show or the Mickey Mouse shorts.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Mordecai doesn't act like a bird and he doesn't fly. JG Quintel once said in an interview that he could have made the main cast of Regular Show humans, but he felt that might be boring. Ironically, one of RS' fan favorite characters is Muscle Man, a human, albeit a mutated green skinned humanoid. And animals acting like animals isn't a stereotype in the slightest. I honestly don't know what point (if any) you're trying to make here.

It seems as though it's you who doesn't know the meaning of the word anthropomorphism. animals (with the exceptions of humans and some parakeets or mynah birds) don't usually talk, therefore, talking animals is an example of anthropomorphism. ANY animal, creature or object that exhibits behavior not typical of it's kind is anthropomorphism. Before you attempt to take others to school, you might want to pack a lunch for yourself.

Also, spell check is your friend. Don't be afraid to use it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #25 Goldstar Neo, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Um, yeah. About that:

Anthropomorphism is defined as 'attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena'. Therefore any cartoon animal that talks and/or possesses human emotions and motivations ARE anthropomorphic, regardless whether they walk on 2 legs or 4.

Also, you've gotta love the irony of someone trying to talk down to everyone else and delivering a condescending lecture on how we're supposed to define something and how we're supposed to feel about it while misspelling half the words in their diatribe. No 'f' in 'anthropomorphic', no 'c' in 'sense', no 'k' in 'Mordecai', no 'i' in 'stereotype'. Like Goldstar Neo said above, spell checker doesn't bite, and it wouldn't kill you to, you know, leave people to their personal tastes and respect their opinions.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #26 Silverstar, Nov 10, 2015
  7. Red Arrow :D

I agree that his lecture was unnecessary (and wrong), but that doesn't mean anyone who has difficulties with spelling is stupid. English spelling is very random and causes dyslexia. (Dyslexia doesn't exist in many other languages) Some sounds can be written in ten different ways.

Anthropomorphic comes from the Greek words άνθρωπος and μορφή. There is no π in μορφή so it makes sense to write it like 'anthropomorfic'. (Most languages write it with an F)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #27 Red Arrow :D, Nov 10, 2015
  8. Silverstar

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never called anyone stupid, just pointing out the obvious typos. Xxerox is American I believe, and I don't think he's dyslexic, so neither of the above is the case here, and even if that were the case, that doesn't give him carte blanche to be rude to everybody.

#28 Silverstar, Nov 10, 2015
  9. Red Arrow :D

I wasn't trying to say that. I just wanted to point out that the value of a text can't be measured by its spelling. Some people are very wise, but still sůck at spelling.

And yes, there is never a reason to be rude to everyone.

Sorry for going off-topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Xxerox

Xxerox Member

I come from the Easter Europa region. Speaking is ok, but spelling and grammar .. nope.

Anthrpomorphic has a new meaning. Talking animals are just talking. Talking is not just a human characretistic , because animals have different ways of "talking" too. I think it is wrong to think that Anthropomorphic = talking.

What you all are trying to explain is the Old meaning of Anthropomorphic. Society changes. People use words like Swag and Yolo and what not. . . meaning of words change too.

11. Silverstar

Ah, didn't know. Sorry about that. I'll retract that part. However....

This part, not so much. The meaning I plucked was from the Online Dictionary, which is pretty current. Any animal that speaks or communicates like a human or possesses human traits, emotions or motivations (such as greed or passion -- for it is said that humans are the only animals on Earth who fall in love) therefore counts as anthropomorphic, so by that card characters like Scooby-Doo and Bolt would qualify as anthropomorphic animals.

You're entitled to your opinion, but lecturing others and talking down to them for having slightly differing opinions (i.e., statements like "get it through your skulls") is not cool. TBH, I take much more issue with your attitude than I do your spelling. You make some valid points, but you need to work on your delivery. How you sometimes word your posts is akin to trolling, and that's not something you want to do. It's like my mother said to me once, "Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it". In the future, just try to ease up on the "I'm so much smarter than all of you, what I say is always correct and you guys are all uneducated dingbats for not seeing it" approach. A slight attitude adjustment will work wonders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I don't want to go off-topic, but society does change, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that the English Language as well as the meaning of words, anthropomorphic has. Newer words from people aren't being necessarily added to the English dictionary.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Seconded. Xxerox, I have no problem with different opinions, but the way that you posted your earlier comment flirts dangerously with flame bait. When stating an opinion, it would be wise to say why you have that opinion (or give reasons for why you have said opinions). Just spouting out baseless opinions while insulting others makes you look like a troll.

Getting back to the topic at hand. Once again, any non-human creature or inanimate object that displays behavior that's alien to it's kind is anthropomorphism. For example, Chairy the Chair from Pee-Wee's Playhouse is an example of an anthropomorphic creature. She doesn't wear clothes or walk on 2 legs, but she has eyes, a mouth and the ability to speak. Chairs don't typically possess such features or traits. Therefore,it's an example of anthropomorphism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #33 Goldstar Neo, Nov 10, 2015
  14. Red Arrow :D

Are you trolling us? I can't tell.
    Animals don't fall in love? Some do.
    I agree that cartoony animals in love are generally anthropomorphic, but for examples the horses in Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron don't look anthropomorphic at all. Their love is very beastly/animal, but it's still love :)

15. HamatoYoshi

HamatoYoshi New Member

First off, i must say I love anthro in animation as a comedic tool (rick and morty etc...) or as a shows premise (tmnt... Btw really suprised nobody has mentioned them yet they are the ultimate ninja anthros :)) as long as the show works and the writings good if the characters are wacky and stupid so what as long as they are well written and are likable.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just wanted to give an in-thread warning to further emphasize this point. Be respectful towards others. Disagreements are fine, but don't act condescending towards others or insult their spelling mistakes. The latter is especially immature and a cheap shot to use against someone's argument. Some people have difficulties spelling for multiple reasons, like whether or not English is their first language or if they have any learning disabilities. Not everyone here is American or come from a country where English is the dominant language. Don't act like schoolyard bullies, guys.

Any further insults or attitude will result in infractions being handed out. Please continue on a more productive and respectful discussion. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I don't mind anthropomorphic characters as long as they're funny and/or engaging in some way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Xxerox

Xxerox Member

but .. but .. but...This is not my opinion D: I am talking facts here... If i wanted to say my opinion, I would mention it is an opinion. What i am trying to explain are pure scientific facts. I do not understand where you get all of this "this is just your opinion" stuff. . .

19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

What did you say that were facts? I'm not understanding.

I respect your difference in arguments, but I agree to disagree with your "pure scientific facts".

You're right that Animals have a different way of communicating, but you gave your insight in a way that was confusing. There's a difference between an Animal in real life that, obviously, looks like an animal and does the things that that particular animal does, i.e, Dogs and Birds, for instance, and Animated Animals who are Anthropomorphic that does things that ordinary humans beings, like us, do. To paraphrase, If an animated animal talks like a Human, it's Anthropomorphic. Otherwise, it does what it's species does, i.e, Dogs Barking, Birds Chirping and Dolphins making sounds too.

#39 DVDLooney, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  20. Red Arrow :D

Okay, now I'm almost sure you're trolling. The definition of a word has nothing to do with science.

And I agree that some animals are able to communicate pretty well, but that doesn't mean they can speak a human language like English. Speaking English is a human characteristic.

Same logic: Just because both humans and dolphins are able to communicate, doesn't mean humans make silly dolphin noises :D (That would be ''zoömorphism'' I think)