1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ant-Man" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Jul 16, 2015.

?

How did you like this movie?

1. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ***

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. ****

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. *****

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Going back to Cassie Lang, with the themes the movie was setting up this is a moment from the comics I'd love to see in the distinct future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Ever since the thing in Thor, when Feige revealed the colleague Selvig alluded to was Hank Pym -- the connection was intriguing... and fast forward to 4 years and change later, while thinking about Ant-Man on and off... I suppose the most logical explanation is during Hank's 10 year study of the quantum realm following Janet's sacrifice in 1987 and his departure from S.H.I.E.L.D. -- Hank sought out Erik Selvig's help in trying to understand the quantum realm since Selvig is the foremost theoretical astrophysicist (which came into practice in the Thor movies and first Avengers movie). And during their collaboration, Hank confided to Selvig his experience with S.H.I.E.L.D. hence Selvig's line of 'he's had dealings with' to Jane after the confiscated all her research and equipment. Pretty cool one cryptic line from Thor in 2011 finally came to fruition in Ant-Man in 2015. :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

If there is one element I did not like about the movie, it's the concept of Hope Van Dyne. She's too stern, too no nonsense, and she;s basically the same character as Black Widow.

Not every female protagonist has to be this action packed, take no crap kind of character.

I can admire Marvel's appreciation with keeping Edgar Wright's original concept of the passing of the torch from Hank to Scott, but the least they should have done was keep Hank young and have Janet Van Dyne still available.

And yes I'm well aware that she's based on the character, Hope Pym from the Marvel Comics 2 universe, but I didn't like her original carnation either.

I didn't like the villainous Hope Pym in the MC2 continuity, and I still don't like Hope Van Dyne now. Which is a shame since I really like Evangeline Lilly as an actress.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Carson getting Cross' brand of Pym Particles might play into Eric O'Grady becoming a hero/villain in a future movie? Maybe he and his associates (HYDRA) build a "Black Ant," suit or a version of the Ant-Man suit, and O'Grady ends up stealing it like in the comics? Maybe then he runs into Scott and Hope?

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

9/22: Perhaps. I'm not really an O'Grady fan but I think having a version of the formula in the wind -- that could seed more Ant-Man rogues from the comics in the future.

10/8: Preorders are appearing on websites. Looks like the Ant-Man release is tentatively set on December 8.

10/15: Trailer for the home release.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...a-exclusive-ant-man-blu-ray-trailer/73971894/

12/11: I guess this was what Reed was hinting at about what he hid in the Quantum Realm. Or more like whom. 1:40:54 mark.
    [​IMG]

6/22: Wright revealed he left because he didn't want to lose his writer credit and wanted to keep it an 'Edgar Wright' kind of movie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

That's odd that James Gunn seemed to be able to do his thing with the Guardians, yet Edgar Wright couldn't be a writer/director of Ant-Man.

I guess because Ant-Man is tied to the Avengers and the Guardians aren't, Marvel wanted to be more hands on? After all that time Wright worked on the movie, you'd think Marvel would let him do his thing for the most part.

I'm really sorry that didn't work out. For all Marvel's success, they have made a few questionable choices like the behind-the-scenes of Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, and Avengers: Age of Ultron. Alan Taylor seemed to be really screwed over by Marvel on the second Thor movie. I'm glad the movie turned out as well as it did for all the issues behind-the-scenes.

Hopefully Ant-Man turned out at least decent in Edgar Wright's eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1