1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ant-Man" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 6, 2017.

?

Rate and Discuss these "Ant-Man" animated shorts!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

No, but from Disney's perspective, there's literally no reason to not use Scott Lang. I don't know what is so controversial or shocking about that. Ant-Man was a character that was not popular or mainstream in any sense (barring people who knew him from EMH, where even then they passed the identity onto Scott in Season 2) prior to the movie. It was by far the biggest exposure the character has ever had.

As I said previously, the fact that Ant-Man is now popular enough to even warrant spending money to create a series of animated shorts is owed pretty much entirely to the profile boost the movie gave him. This wasn't a case of Marvel and Disney arbitrarily deciding to make Ant-Man cartoons and then going "Huh, we should probably use the movie guy because synergy," it was made BECAUSE of the success of the movie. If you're going to make an animated project designed to embrace the newfound success your formerly obscure character has gained, there's really no reason to not use the version that made the character mainstream in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #21 RoryWilliams, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious if we'll ever find out about the rest of the voice cast.

Obviously we know who voiced Ant-Man and Wasp, but what about Hank, Yellowjacket, Cassie, and incidentals o_O?

I'm pretty darn sure Egghead and Whirlwind were both Sam Riegel, so there's that...

• Like Like x 1
  3. RoryWilliams

Someone on Wikipedia claimed Hank is Wally Wingert again but I don't really know if that sounds like him.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. I guess I could kinda hear that but it's really hard to tell through the Michael Douglas impersonation :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I have no problem with them using Scott Lang in these shorts, since the Scott Lang version of the character has been around for about 40 years and is the Ant-Man that I grew up with and prefer. Frankly, I have more of a problem with Hank being an old man and them using the Hope version of Wasp instead of Janet. That all being said, my point was/is that the general non comic book reading audience is smart enough to know that the the movie versions of these characters are not a faithful adaption of the original source material.

#25 spyke, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. RoryWilliams

I mean, most people don't read comic books any way, so I don't think that's going to be a big concern for them. Barring perhaps passing familiarity with Marvel's characters in other mediums I guess.

She was announced in the initial press release Marvel did. I think it's her, as it doesn't sound much like Colleen or Kari (at least going off the clip I heard of the latter in Secret Wars).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I assumed that was Rauch if only because it would be weird for them to advertise her and then have someone else play the role in the actual shorts. The only real experience I have with her voice is her high-pitched Harley Quinn :sweat:.

Though in hindsight it probably would've been smart to have Wahlgren record for the role given she's voicing Wasp in Assemble, especially since Wasp's small role in these shorts barely gave Rauch much to do anyways...

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoryWilliams

She is known for using a really high pitched, squealing voice in The Big Bang Theory and the Harley Quinn film, but apparently it's affected and not her actual speaking voice. So I guess Wasp is closer to how she actually sounds in person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I know it won't be a big concern for non comic book readers. By the same token, those same non comic book readers wouldn't have a problem if the animated series and comics stuck close to the original source material. I'm just opposed to the "tail wagging the dog" pointless synergy. Especially when said synergy limits creativity and the types of stories that could be told. However, I am fine with adapting minor or good ideas from the films that do work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RoryWilliams

I would actually argue again that if this is aimed at a mass audience (IE the people who are familiar with the character from the movies), using a version of the character using a version of the character that is 100 percent contradictory to the widely recognizable version of the character is pointless. Costume differences or background/cosmetic changes are one thing, but this entire train of conversation began because someone complained that they wanted these shorts to use Hank, not Scott, and I merely pointed out that of course they're gonna use Scott because as far as the public is concerned, Scott is Ant-Man and these shorts were almost certainly created because of the burst in popularity Ant-Man has had in the last two years. If you're producing an animated series of shorts specifically to cash in on Ant-Man's sudden mainstream appeal, I'm still not seeing why you would not use the Ant-Man who you're attempting to cash in on in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you, but for slightly different reasons. They should definitely use the Scott Lang version of Ant-Man not just because he is te Ant-Man that they used in the films, but because he has been Ant-Man (except for the short time that he was "dead") in the comics. However, I am still opposed to the old man version of Hank and using Hope instead of Jan as the Wasp in these shorts and in the films.

12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I've rewatched these shorts way too much at this point. I'm just such a big mark for Silver Age homages that I can't help it. It's part of what made Spectacular Spider-Man, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Brave and the Bold so great and it's a big reason that I love the Nightmare on Christmas episode of Ultimate Spider-Man.

I wish they'd always see how beneficial it can be to use elements from the past 75 years of Marvel's history and not just change everything to try blend with the MCU and its current flavor. I know I'm biased but usually when I see merchandise on the stands or almost always when I see someone in a Marvel tee, I see a lot of vintage Marvel and not just the blander corporate designs. I have a feeling people won't be turned off if it doesn't resemble the MCU perfectly.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. RoryWilliams

I really hope this team gets to tackle something else. A lot of the current cartoons Marvel puts out are so flavorless but this one had a really unique look and feel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do hope we see Marvel Animation make more short series like this and the Rocket and Groot shorts, because not only are they a lot of fun but they're so refreshing and cool to watch :anime:.

It's also nice to be able to watch a Marvel cartoon with strong visuals again :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

These shorts were phenomenal! Not to sound like a broken record, but Disney should really attempt to put half of the creativity shown in these shorts into their full length animated cartoons.
    It's as if I've gotten a better idea of who Scott Lang is with and without the Ant Man costume, than any Avenger in the actual series.

I don't mean to sound as though I am just repeating the usual anti-MAU rhetoric, but I just watched these shorts with my two much younger sisters, one of them is a fan of Ultimate Spider Man, the other (like me) doesn't care for it too much, we all thought these shorts were fantastic.

I just think the Marvel Universe definitely deserves to have cartoons that nearly everyone can enjoy like these.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

The animation in these was really fluid and provided a nice contrast with the solid, retro designs and setting.

I think the aliens looked kinda unsettling, especially after the Boss Invader started growing...

Street clothes Scott riding a giant ant down the street. What a great moment.

I wonder if Hope going in Whirlwind's helmet was a reference to Jan doing the same in the EMH shorts.
    Scott will probably just relocate the colony and leave behind a recording warning ants away from this building.

Smell ya later, Scott!

Avengers Assemble generally doesn't place alot of focus on the character's inner lives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think these shorts, even with their limited run time, definitely did a good job of establishing Scott's world and the people he interacts with and what his Superhero life is like :).

Whether that's because this was focused purely on him vs. Assemble, which is a team show, is up for debate but it's also kind of refreshing to see in a Marvel cartoon ;).

• Agree Agree x 1