1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ant-Man" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 6, 2017.

?

Rate and Discuss these "Ant-Man" animated shorts!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Use this thread to discuss the Ant-Man animated shorts released by Marvel and Disney XD!

[​IMG]

Marvel’s Ant-Man is the next installment in Marvel Animation’s series of cartoon shorts. Voiced by Josh Keaton, the shrinking hero will fight evil alongside the Wasp and Hank Pym. He’ll score occasional breaks to help daughter Cassie with her homework.

Animated and produced by the Oscar-award winning Passion Pictures Animation and Passion Paris, the studio behind the Gorillaz animated music videos, the six two-minute shorts in this Ant-Man series are directed by Ugo Bienvenu and Kevin Manach, written by Brian Wysol, executive-produced by Alan Fine, Dan Buckley, Joe Quesada, Cort Lane, Stephen Wacker, and Stan Lee, with Cara Speller and Marc Bodin-Joyeux also serving as producers.

The first short is now available on Disney XD's YouTube channel. The video might be region-locked.

Ant-Man - Science Fair
    All six shorts are scheduled to premiere this weekend (June 10-11) on Disney XD.

Saturday, June 10th, 2017:
    7:58 AM ET - "Science Fair"
    11:58 AM ET - "Alien Invasion"
    2:58 PM ET - "Soup Time"

Sunday, June 11th, 2017:
    11:28 AM ET - "Exterminator"
    5:28 PM ET - "Proton Cube"
    8:58 PM ET - "Not A Date"

*Please check TV listings for any re-runs.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links
    :
    "Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)
    "Ant-Man" and "Rocket and Groot" Shorts by French Animation Studio confirmed

"Avengers: Secret Wars" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Rocket & Groot" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
    Marvel and Funko Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Alien Invasion is up as well. I like it. It makes me miss DC Nation and Marvel Universe. So many missed opportunities

Soup Time

I didn't recognize Hank there at first. I hope Marvel continues to put different kinds of animation like this. It's such a tiny thing but it feels fresh when the regular stuff doesn't fully satisfy.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #2 Rick Jones, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

That was more visually interesting than the last 5 years of Marvel cartoons. I love the retro art style.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Dig the style. Pretty unique and retro. Wasp has a pretty retro look too.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

Truly, a work of art. I wish more French animation could make it stateside.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I agree. I was watching these shorts and thinking why couldn't the current batch of Marvel Animated TV series be like this. Heck, they should hire the people behind these shorts (including the animation studio) to handle all of their Marvel animated TV series.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

They seem to avoiding calling the old guy "Hank Pym" by name, as if for some reason it's apparently not Hank in this universe or the writers secretly don't want it directly confirmed to be him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At first the kind of rotoscoping feel of the animation threw me off, but as I watched it and saw it in motion I have to say it looks pretty cool and fun :).

And, of course, it also looks better animated then any of the current Marvel cartoons :p.

The shorts in general were also pretty fun to watch, with some strong kinetic action and humor. It's nice to see Marvel produce these shorts and I hope we see more of them in the future :D.

"Science Fair"

It's nice seeing Cassie acknowledged here, and seeing Scott as the bumbling Superhero dad, given I doubt we'll see her referenced in Assemble. She was really adorable here :anime:.

Yellowjacket just seemed to come out of nowhere. Does he just attack Ant-Man at the most random and inopportune times :sweat:?

Ant-Man's fight with Yellowjacket was pretty cool, with the same kind of spectacular shrinking and enlarging action as in their final confrontation in the Ant-Man movie. I also liked how everything came together in how Scott managed to beat Yellowjacket :cool:.

It's good to see Scott and Cassie as good sports. That cheese earned it ;).

"Alien Invasion"

Foiling a microscopic alien invasion? That's so Ant-Man and Wasp :D.

I really liked Wasp's design in this :anime:.

Wasp's costume here reminded me a lot of Janet's first Uncanny Avengers costume, though of course the Wasp here is obviously Hope Van Dyne instead of Janet :shrug:.

Melissa Rauch sounded fine with what little we hear from her here, but it's kind of weird going from Kari Wahlgren as Hope to someone completely different :confused:.

I guess Scott and Hope's thing is that they invert the original Ant-Man and Wasp dynamic, where Scott is the fun-loving, spontaneous, one while Hope is the serious and focused one :ack:.

That was some serious body horror with that alien warlord :eek:.

"Soup Time"

It's kind of sad seeing Hank be reduced to Scott's tech support here, especially since this is the first proper appearance of Hank in animation since EMH ended (unless we're counting Disk Wars) :(.

I mean, you probably wouldn't even know that was supposed to be Hank if not for that obvious Michael Douglas impersonation :sweat:.

It's still weird to see Scott fight Egghead. I'm also not sure what's more amazing to hear, Yuri Lowenthal as Egghead or Sam Riegel :rolleyes2:?

• Like Like x 2
    #8 Frontier, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. RoryWilliams

I think you're reading a bit too much into it. They already confirmed Hank would be in the shorts in the initial announcement, and they had an old dude who apparently built Scott's gear acting as his science support. It seems pretty clear it's him, especially if they're banking on people watching it being familiar with the film.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Since that would probably he only way you could tell that's supposed to be Hank Pym, right down to his VA doing a Michael Douglas impersonation :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

He may not be called by name in the short, but the description for the video states "Despite Hank Pym's warning...".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I was thinking that after the Secret Wars short. It kind of reminds me of how they paired Hank as Wasp with O'Grady as Ant-Man in that one comic.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Reminder: The shorts are set to air on Disney XD this weekend. See the opening post of this thread for the official schedule, and check TV listings for any re-runs.

The last three shorts are already available on Disney XD's YouTube channel:

Exterminator:

Proton Cube:

Not A Date:
    Remember to use this thread if you have any more comments about these Ant-Man cartoons!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

These shorts were all so much fun. It would be fantastic if they could do more with this or something in a similar tone/quality. I'm not a big Fraction Hawkeye fan but I could totally imagine shorts aping that style, or Black Widow spy missions that dripped with 60s kitsch.

It's been refreshing to see something out of Marvel Animation that was getting predominantly positive reception.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RoryWilliams

I want to see this creative team handle a full show.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"The Exterminator"

Heh, looks like that giant ant from the movie stuck around :proud:.

It's nice to see Ant-Man take care of his ant pals, though while the exterminator obviously was pretty gruff in his manner, he was still just doing his job :sad:.

And you also have to wonder what Scott's super or the person who owns the apartment building is going to feel knowing the exterminator failed to solve their ant-infestation problem :sweat:.

So Scott named one of his ants after Hank? I'm not sure if I should see that as a tribute to his mentor or Scott just trolling Hank :rolleyes2:.

"Proton Cube"

I love how Yellowjacket always just seems to come out-of-nowhere to menace Ant-Man. He's such a nemesis :p.

Some really cool visuals with the Microverse/Quantum Realm here :cool:.

So Yellowjacket is working with the Masters of Evil? That seemed like a random name-drop. I'm actually wondering what the Masters of Evil look like in this universe o_O.

I actually kind of felt bad for Yellowjacket at the end there :eek:.

"Not a Date"

It's kind of funny that Scott flirting with Hope and her consistent stance on it "not being a date" was more romantic then practically any season of a current Marvel cartoon. Scott's enthusiasm in his flirting was also cute :anime:.

It was also nice seeing Hope out-of-costume :harley:.

It was cool seeing Whirlwind pop up here, and in his classic look no less, and I'm glad they mentioned he's one of Hank's old villains unlike what they did with Egghead (though it sounds like Sam Riegel also voiced Whirlwind) :).

Still wish we had gotten at least one mention of Jan in this :(.

Not surprised they managed to fit in at least one Giant-Man appearance ;).

Seems like fist-bumping is going to be Scott and Hope's thing in the cartoons....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. RoryWilliams

I have to laugh a bit at the discussion on here about how the old man might not be Hank Pym and how the creators might be purposefully being ambiguous and then he's explicitly identified by name in the very next two shorts.

I really enjoyed the shout outs to the Masters of Evil and kinda wish we'd gotten to see them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Oh look... another villain of Hank and Jan, I feel like they wasted a great opportunity, the shorts should have been with them as protagonists, but well!! hail MCU!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. RoryWilliams

It's not "hail the MCU." It's "Hail the version of the character the general audience is actually familiar with." Literally the only reason Ant-Man is now popular enough to get an animated short series is because of the movie.

Why do you think Marvel wasn't spending money on Ant-Man or Rocket and Groot shorts 5 years ago?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Granted. However, that doesn't mean using the original versions of the characters in these shorts would not attract the general audience. Despite what most people might think, the general audience isn't so dense that they can't figure out that the movie version of these characters are changed/altered for the big screen and that the movie adaptions are not an accurate faithful adaption of the source material.