1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ant-Man" and "Rocket and Groot" Shorts by French Animation Studio confirmed

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Choppasmith, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Heh. It was the same for me, actually (and Jan as well) :D.

Especially given he's a non-entity in the main cartoons :ack:.

Though it doesn't look like Jan will be as lucky :sad:.

2. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

This isn't only about Hank, it's about Jan too... it's incredible that both founding Avengers in comics aren't relevant in current Marvel Animation universe, not even in some shorts! anyway, nothing against Scott, but at least base it on comics, you know... he as Ant-Man, Cassie as Stature/Stinger and without romantic relation with Wasp, that will be Hope here, but no! this is full synergy... well, 90% if we consider that the costume is based on comics, what's next? Luis confirmed?

• Like Like x 1
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Comics history is not something that's gonna be an overly huge concern to them since most people don't actually read comics. I know that's probably upsetting to some but literally the only reason the shorts are even happening is because of the sudden interest in the character after the success of the movie.

There's a reason they weren't doing Ant-Man and Groot shorts 6 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The only reason I thought it might be focused on Hank and Jan was because of the talk about it having a "retro" feel, with Hank and Janet being portrayed in the movies as the "retro" Ant-Man and Wasp.

But obviously what that really meant was that Scott's adventures will just be portrayed like it's from an old Tales of Suspense issue :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

That was what I was expecting too. Something set in the 70s involving Hank Pym and Janet during their "glory days".

Although, the red shades are the helmet are a little wonky for the helmet design IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lucas

lucas Member

I would love to see an animated series of ant man from the greatest hero of the marvel will likely be the top super hero animations along with super shock and zeta project

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I like how he keeps mentioning Spidey. He really loved that role.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've actually gotten to talk to him in-person and you'd be surprised how much of Josh Keaton's life actually mirrored Peter Parker's :anime:.

It was the role he was born to play ;).

10. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

It'll probably take a while, but I await discovering whether or not Behind the Voice Actors will call Josh Keaton the best Ant-Man II VA. Right now, Crispin Freeman barely edges out over Grant George. (I personally have trouble comparing Freeman and Keaton, since they seem to finely capture different sides of Ant-Man II.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Freeman a definitely a more "classic" Scott Lang, right down to the depiction of his origin, while Keaton is obviously portraying a more movie-inspired take on Scott. Though I think both inject a degree of relateability and an everyman feel into their performance :).

Grant George will probably always have the disadvantage of his Ant-Man being a weird composite between Scott Lang and Hank Pym. He does his best with what he's given, but at times his version of Scott can feel a little ill-defined and not true to the comics. With that in mind, and seeing him be replaced in the role, I can't help but feel George was given an unfair shake as Ant-Man :sad:.

Though one thing George has over Freeman and Keaton is longevity, having played Scott Lang longer then either across 2 seasons of Assemble and in guest spots on other cartoons and video games. Freeman only really had one episode as Scott and time will tell how much mileage Keaton will get out of the role o_O.

12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't know the Emmys had a category for that. That is very cool. I am very curious to see what the competition may be as well.

It would be beautiful if a little critical praise could get ideas started over at Marvel Animation Studios but they may be too content to care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It needs votes to be nominated but they must be pretty happy with it. It's interesting that they announced it though. Do they submit every year?

16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Small update: Marvel's Rocket & Groot have indeed been nominated for an Emmy Award!
    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/2017-emmy-nominees-list-nominations-1202494465/
    The Emmy Awards, hosted by Stephen Colbert, will air live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, Sept. 17 at 5 p.m. PT. on CBS.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

That's awesome. I'm a bigger fan of Ant-Man but I think these were all pretty great. With the big awards, it seems prestigious just being nominated without even winning, so good for them. Hopefully, there will be something else by next year that they feel proud enough of to enter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My biggest takeaway from this is that it seems Cort Lane has now taken over as the head of Marvel Animation from Wacker...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

He's probably been the one name that was constant with Marvel Animation over the last 10 years.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2