1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Ant-Man" and "Rocket and Groot" Shorts by French Animation Studio confirmed

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Choppasmith, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well now I might just start wanting to hear those two as Ant-Man and Wasp over in Assemble :p.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

I wanted Hank and Jan because Hope and Scott will have development in Avengers Assemble season 4... a flashback short could be better and with more creative freedom, but well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The shorts aren't gonna have any impact on the canon of the show anyway so it really doesn't matter. If they wanna use Scott and Hope they'll use 'em.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And if they feel like using Hank and Jan, they should use 'em as well ;).

EDIT 10/9: Cort Lane describes the series of shorts as "retro."

I wonder if that implies it might feature Hank and Janet as Ant-Man and Wasp, focusing on them doing work in the Cold War?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Retro is a buzz word I tend to love when it comes to superheroes. Josh is always very likable (kind of like Paul Rudd). I'm sure he'll do great.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

October 14th, 2016:
    Noticed this on Kevin Burke's Twitter: "We wrote the Rocket/Groot shorts".

I suppose "we" means himself and Chris "Doc" Wyatt, given their history together at writing for cartoons.

March 13th, 2017:
    From Entertainment Weekly:
    I posted a talkback thread for the shorts. Please use that to discuss them, and this thread can be kept for any news about the shorts, or the upcoming Ant-Man ones.

May 15th:
    Noticed this on the calendar available on Disney ABC Press (you have to set the date, I can't link directly to it), three Ant-Man shorts are listed as airing on Saturday June 10th a couple of times throughout the day. The titles are "Soup Time", "Science Fair" and "Alien Invasion".

I imagine more details might be announced this week. I am eager to see how the characters will look here.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh, I wonder if we're going to get a teaser for the shorts if they're premiering next month? A teaser poster would be nice too :anime:.

Interesting titles. "Soup Time" sounds like our heroes will get stuck in some soup, "Science Fair" could mean a lot of things, but I imagine "Alien Invasion" will be accurate to the content of the episode as Ant-Man and Wasp fend off aliens :cool:.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Three more Ant-Man titles listed for Sunday, June 11th: "Exterminator", "Proton Cube" and "Not A Date".

I wonder if these will be released online or on the Disney XD App, like the Rocket & Groot ones.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm wondering if there's a specific show they have in mind to air the combined shorts with :)?

Doesn't take too much to figure what "Not A Date" will be like, I imagine :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Marvel's Ant-Man set to premiere on Disney XD on June 10-11.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, Six shorts. That's half of what Rocket and Groot got though those were probably a little shorter. That design has an old school hero feel to it and the helmet looks pretty different from the MCU version with the visible mouth and all. If the animation is as good as some of the stuff I've seen from these guys, it will be a treat and I look forward to it.

I wonder if the style was inspired by anyone like Rocket and Groot's was inspired by Skottie Young. That poster gives me a 70s "Marvel Comics Group" vibe for some reason.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Josh Keaton as Ant-Man, huh? Been a while since he was in a Marvel Animated project.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought these shorts were supposed to be "Ant-Man and The Wasp." I wonder why they removed Wasp from the billing :confused:?

I definitely see what they meant when they said the art style would be "retro." It's definitely an interesting visual identity for the series, and I'm curious to see how the actual animation looks in-motion :cool:.

I'm kind of bummed that it's Scott and Hope as Ant-Man and Wasp instead of Hank and Jan, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised :sad:.

But at least Hank is in it, which is honestly a little more then I was expecting :).

Josh Keaton is great in any role he's in so I'm looking forward to hearing his take on Scott and how they'll handle him. Could potentially be quite similar to Keaton asSpider-Man ;).

I assume with Hank there that they won't need to make Scott Pym-lite like the other cartoon version of him, though given this is Scott as Ant-Man I'm honestly a little surprised they didn't bring back Grant George. Especially since the Rocket and Groot shorts still had Trevor Devall and Kevin Michael Richardson as Rocket and Groot o_O.

I'm curious to see who they get to voice Hank, Cassie, and Yellowjacket...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Josh is the superhero everyman. He's already been a Flash, Green Lantern, Spider-Man, Human Torch and now Ant-Man.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

There goes my expectations! why I'm surprised? Marvel Animated is just synergy right now... too bad for two founding Avengers.

16. RoryWilliams

Really love that retro art style. It looks really unique and a nice break from the more generic visual style most of the current Marvel shows use.

It's not just synergy. Hank Pym hadn't been Ant-Man in the comics for years now. In fact the last time I think Hank was actually Ant-Man was shortly after Civil War, and that turned out to be a Skrull impostor. Scott Lang is the Ant-Man most people know now. I'm frankly surprised there was anyone who seriously thought this was going to be about Hank when Marvel hasn't marketed that character as Ant-Man in quite some time.

The exception was probably EMH and even then they had him become Yellowjacket and gave the suit to Scott in Season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I remembered the skrull being Yellowjacket. I'm not the most read guy on all the Avengers books but it's hard to remember Hank going by the Ant-Man identity past the 60s, though he usually the guy that comes to mind sort of like how Dick Grayson is with Robin. That said it is a bummer that we won't get to see much of Hank the hero/avenger due to the MCU setup but I do like Scott a lot. The Hope/Wasp thing bums me out more since Jan in animation has always been great while Hope is still kind of just there.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RoryWilliams

It depends on who the audience is. If we're talking comic book fans, then yeah Hank probably immediately comes to mind as the iconic Ant-Man. If we're talking a general audience though, the majority of people's exposure to the character is from the movie. It's not totally dissimilar from how when the live-action GL movie came out a bunch of people were confused about why he didn't look like the guy they remembered from the Justice League cartoon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Scott would have had a bigger public outing in the role due to the movies. Thinking back on it, I did know kids and current adults that first knew the Avengers through EMH, so I can only assume they knew Hank first. It used to surprise me seeing who were fans of EMH or any of the Marvel/XD shows (it still does a little bit) though I guess it's not as though the shows weren't available anywhere just because someone didn't have the largest channel package at home. One of my cousins specifically, became a big fan of Hank with EMH and would always mention Ant-Man as a movie he was looking forward to.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm just glad Hank Pym is even appearing in these shorts to begin with. Sure it's most likely an elderly version of the character to keep in line with the movie, but they could have omitted him altogether considering the limited running time.

• Agree Agree x 2