1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ant-Man" and "Rocket and Groot" Shorts by French Animation Studio confirmed

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Choppasmith, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Just found this article on Variety about a new tax break agreement regarding Animation projects done in France.

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/marvel-disney-paramount1201789595-1201789595/

Also on the list of international productions are two Marvel Animation TV shorts series: “Antman,” from French directorial duo Ugo Bienvenu and Kevin Manach, and “Rocket and Groot,” directed by France’s Arnaud Delord.

Not sure if we're talking something like a 15 minute show, or if it's something like the Mickey Mouse shorts, but it'll be nice to see something visually DIFFERENT from the Marvel cartoons.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Please with Hank Pym, please with Hank Pym, please with Hank Pym...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, this is certainly an unexpected surprise :eek:!

I'm curious to see what these shorts will look like and how they'll work, like what's their runtime going to be? Will there be multiple shorts for both series? Will they air over here, and how o_O?

But still, it's nice to be getting something new and unique from Marvel Animation, and I'm looking forward to seeing what these shorts look like, especially given the people working on them :).

• Like Like x 2
    #3 Frontier, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is a nice surprise and what has been announced so far sounds pretty great to me.The choice for characters is a little odd but hopefully the final products will be good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I always like when I see them doing something that I wished they'd do for forever. It just helps me to know that my ideas might not be as crazy as I think they are sometimes. I wonder now whether they might have more stuff being worked on than has been made public at this point. It would probably be even cooler to me if it wasn't characters we've already seen being highlighted in the MCU and tv shows but baby steps are appreciated. I hope these things are great.
    I'm guessing they might be 2 - 3 min. gap fillers like Disney TV tend to do (Mickey Mouse, GOTG Origins, Wicked World, LEGO Marvel, Two More Eggs, Marvel Mash Ups, Gravity Falls, etc). I'm really hoping these shorts are stylistically out there, sort of like how some of the most unique DC Nation shorts were.

After seeing how the Marvel guys always fall back on the MCU/Branding defaults, I wouldn't get my hopes up but it would be really cool if they went that direction. Even if they went the MCU route with Pym, the adventures of young Hank and Jan would be awesome to see. At this point, I half expect to see Lang getting into hi-jinks similar to his Super Bowl ad with the Hulk.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I expect them to be only a couple of minutes long, similar to the stuff from DC Nation. It would be cool if they had a continuing story though.

If these are successful enough, maybe next year they'll announce some Doctor Strange shorts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be really cool if they make shorts for characters with movies coming out or upcoming movies who aren't likely to get their own cartoons anytime soon. A Black Panther short would be awesome :D.

And, whether or not it's Hank or Scott as Ant-Man, I hope Wasp makes an appearance in the short :).

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I saw a reel from the Ant-Man team on Vimeo a few days back that was pretty insane visually (in a good way). I can't imagine they won't bring some of that flair here.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  10. JaredCap43™

JaredCap43™ One of (if not) the most powerful Toonzone Users!

I was expecting them to be made by Film Roman and/or Marvel Animation.

11. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Would love more shows that look like this. Or more original shorts with different artstyles kinda like DC nation

13. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Rocket's voice sounds different.

14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

So... Lang and Hope Pym? I was hoping for Hank and Jan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

That's a surprise!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Marvel is a big fan of synergy right now. So Scott and Hope were the likely choices. Hopefully Hank and Jan appear or are at least mentioned. Plus they haven't confirmed which Ant-Man and Wasp it is, right?

Plus Josh Keaton as Ant-Man? Wow. I have to admit I was skeptical of him playing GL in Green Lantern: The Animated Series at first because I was so used to him as Spider-Man in The Spectacular Spider-Man, but he did a great job, so I doubt it won't do a great job as Ant-Man here as well!

And Melissa Rauch as the Wasp? That's really cool. I'm curious about her voice as well because I'm so used to her voice in The Big Bang Theory. These shorts sound like they'll be great, and I'm glad Marvel Animation listened to the fan requests for more shorts after the Guardians ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Josh Keaton as Ant-Man should be great, especially because of the insect connection, but I wonder why they're not using Grant George? Isn't he the official Ant-Man voice o_O?

I'm happy that Wasp will show up in the shorts, and I'm definitely intrigued to hear Melissa Rauch's performance as Wasp :).

20. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I don't think Marvel is bringing back voice actors to reprise their roles in the shorts. In the teaser for the Rocket and Groot shorts, Rocket's voice sounded different. So I think Marvel's casting people for those shorts as brand-new projects, not tied to previous versions of the characters or the current animated universe.

• Informative Informative x 1