Anime shows that missed the boat in terms of exposure

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Space Cadet, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Haven't made an Anime Forum topic in a while, so here it goes...

When we think of anime series that became popular enough to break into the mainstream, we think of shows like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, etc. But, there are some shows who, due to bad timing or luck, weren't able to cross over and meet the same recognition. In your opinion, what are some anime shows that should have been as popular as the shows I mentioned?

One show that comes to mind is Ranma 1/2. Now, the show did well in America and was the first flagship title for Viz Media. But, I always felt that the show had enough elements to crossover into the mainstream. It just needed a TV deal. But at that point(around 1999-2002), the only place it could air was Toonami and the show required too much editing to get on air.

Another show that comes to mind is Fruits Basket. Now, the show was very popular. It sold gangbusters for FUNi on DVD and each manga release was a top seller on USA Today booklists. However, what could have really put the show over the top was a TV airing. Unfortunately, at that point, none of the kids networks were interested in airing a girl-centric show. Certainly not CN. Nowadays, I think Nickelodeon, Nicktoons or The Hub could air it, but the popularity has died down.

My third example is Lupin III. The show has so many elements that could cross over to the mainstream, but by the time the second TV series came to America, the show was over 20 years old at that point. I think if some American company had licensed the series in the early-to-mid 80's, the show might have taken off and be remembered as fondly as we do with Robotech and Voltron.

2. monkey D Goku

monkey D Goku New Member

one peice comes to mind 4 kids destroyed that series.

3. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

While I do mostly agree the 4Kids dub doomed the series here. I;m not sure how much better it would have fared other wise. From a purely cutural standpoint, pirates just aren;t considered all that cool in western culture anymore(unless they happen to be played by Johnny Deep). It would have been interesting to see how it did without that handicap though.

One other series that specifically comes to mind for me is Reborn. It had most of the makings of a mainstream action series that would do well here, but the anime was never brought over, and the manga did rather terribly here(though in that case the translations were pretty bad). I think the biggest handicap for the anime though was the first 19 or so episodes which were mostly slice of life comedy stuff. I can kind of understand why a company wouldn;t wanna take a risk on that considering it's kind of a rough entry point to get through

4. GatorMan92

GatorMan92 Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .

Well, I know it has a HUGE cult following, but part of me wonders what the reaction would be if Hetalia had gotten more exposure; Frankly it's more for personal reasons that I'd love to see it get more attention.

5. Eternal Argost

Eternal Argost Fan of Saint Seiya

I wish Saint Seiya got more love in the US. I think it's more popular in South America. I'm not sure about Europe.

6. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC New Member

'Basquash!', while talks were made about a new version of the series to appeal to children, would have been great. This is one of the shows that most people don't remember as fondly as I have. For starters, the show takes place in a future where people piloting mechs playing basketball has become more popular than the original version of the sport. With a bit of editing and redrawing certain scenes from the animation studios that made the original series and this would have been a solid hit. With the show having ties with Nike of Japan, the show could have been a hit here with deals with Nike Shoes of America as well as with the NBA. I know that there was a deal a while back with the NFL being tied with 'Eyeshield 21' with being streamed online, but I don't know why no one has thought of taking the risk of having the series on TV.

'SGT. Frog' comes to mind as, yet, another show that, had it been released years prior to its release in the U.S. thanks to Funimation, it could have done MUCH better than it did originally. With all of the toys connected with the series, as well as the mix of comedy and action within the series, this should have been a winner.

7. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I have to say Fairy Tail, it came a little late to the party when anime on North America is pretty much dead. The only no toyatic anime left on mainstream television is Bleach and Dragon Ball Z Kai. I think it would be a great idea if Adult Swim teamed Bleach and Fairy Tail on their lineup.

8. monkey D Goku

monkey D Goku New Member

they might air it you never know.

9. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

I doubt any of these shows would be as popular as "DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, etc.", but they should have been handled better than they were:

MAR - I really liked this show, but airing the episodes out of order really killed it.
    I tried to watch it online on Toonami Jetstream, but it got pulled before I got to see all the episodes.
    No complete DVD release doesn't help either.

Blue Dragon - Just saying "character designs by Akira Toriyama" wasn't enough to propel this show to DBZ ratings. Only 13 episodes aired on TV and the widescreen footage was cropped to pan & scan.
    Another incomplete DVD release with dub-only audio.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Only half the episodes aired on TV, the dub changed around plot points and main characters.
    At least this show got a complete DVD release, even if it was sub-only. Needs a license rescue.

10. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I have to say Case Closed/ Detective Conan easily qualifies for the list. FUNi tried to force it to be successful on [adult swim], and they did individual DVD releases at first, both of which harmed the series (in my opinion). I'd say having only 123 of the episodes dubbed and 5 movies (130 in the English version since they break the specials up into 2 parts) when the series has 653 episodes and 15 movies is barely scratching the surface and clearly shows it has missed the boat.

I will say I disagree with Fairy Tail solely because while it's not on mainstream TV, it is being dubbed and being decently successful for FUNi. All the VA's have said they want to do more episodes (as shown in multiple interviews at least with the main VA's), and FUNi is supposedly working on acquiring the rights for the second season, though there has been no press release confirming that.

Don't even get me started on that abomination that was the US Eyeshield 21 project dub, cramming 13-episodes into 5 dub episodes and trying to remove all signs of Hiruma's violence.

11. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

FT is way too tame to work as a straight-up Adult Swim series. Like it or not older people aren't going to be drawn into it's bloodless fights.

12. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Rave Master comes to mind, except that is understandable considering the anime that was made for it was terrible and dub somehow made it even worse.

Kekkaishi did well in the ratings on Adult Swim and yet was very tame with no blood besides one specific scene(which was more "white blood"). If an anime like that can attract viewers I don't think there is much of an argument about all viewers always needing blood.

13. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

D.Gray-Man & Soul Eater could've used TV broadcasts.

I'm still completely lost as to why Battle Spirits was never released in North America. The trading card game was, and it completely tanked without the help of the TV show.

14. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Funny thing is I don't think the anime is that bad. Granted I saw the dub first before the original Japanese version so I guess that has a lot to do with how I see the anime. The manga is way better, and just to compare the Fairy Tail anime is way better.

15. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

In a way, it almost came here in the early '80s. There was a project TMS was working on with DiC called Lupin VIII, an international co-production which was a spin-off basically re-tailored for American TV standards. The setting was in outer space, Lupin wasn't an outlaw anymore, and Jigen no longer smoked a cigarette. Only a couple of episodes were produced before Maurice Leblanc's estate (original author of the Arsene Lupin novels) got wind of it and sued the Japanese rights holders over using Lupin's name without permission. The whole ordeal was probably what kept the franchise from appearing on American TV for a long time.

16. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Shine Like Rainbows

Agreed. I'd have LOVED for the show to become successful just because of the potential merchandise and higher probability that most if not all of the seasons would be dubbed. (I have a hunch that FUNi has one more in the can for release, but there's no telling what happens to the series after that.)

17. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

It was popular in both places(Mexico too). Yeah, that's another series that might have struck gold in the U.S. if it was released in the early-to-mid 90's.

Ah yes, I do remember reading about Lupin VIII. I'm glad that show never got off the ground. Also, I forgot about the rights holders suing over Lupin's name. I feel that they could have gotten around it if they tried(didn't they call him Wolf at one point)?

I also wonder how Mobile Suit Gundam would have done if it came in the mid-80's. I know Gundam Wing was super popular but when the original series came next, I do remember some people being turned off not just by the age of the show, but by the tone. Plus, unlike Robotech, the show would have had sequels to keep in going in syndication.

18. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Wasn’t Dr. Slump all set for his sea voyage; tickets bought; luggage on board; yachting cap on head, only to have the boat set sail while he bent down to tie his shoe?

Space Pirate Captain Harlock almost made it. But why come over in one boat when you can come in two, smashed together at full speed? Actually that is how Harlock operated, but it’s no way to do a dub.

How great was Robotech's exposure anyhow?
    I remember having to get up real early in the morning to watch it the first time. I don't know how it was in other markets.

Maybe if MTV would have aired it in the early 90's when they had Speed Racer.

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty good attempt to make a go of it.
    I do have to say I was less then pleased by the fan reactions Lupin and Case Closed. Here we're getting some really great mysteries and all some people can worry about is Conan hasn't tracked down the bad guys that shrunk him, even though they know there are hundreds of episodes out there based on the premise that he's a boy detective.

It's too bad it can't get some exposure next to other mystery shows. Anime would be a tough sell for that audience, but it could win some converts. Thing is, I don't know if it's that big of an audience to begin with.

19. Kirben

Kirben Member

Detective Conan - A good mystery series for the whole family, with many on-going elements. Unfortunately suffered changes from Funimation, and very poor initial DVD releases (single volumes of multiple seasons). Could have really used better marketing, since mystery series are always popular with adults, and there are so few real mystery series for children (Famous 5: On the Case is the last I can recall).

Sgt. Frog - The fun adventures of a group of invading aliens and their family/friends, which would have been great for children. Unfortunately the series was butchered by Funimation, in a failed attempt to turn the series into a comedy/parody for older age group. A huge potential wasted, especially since there is no series like this in western animation.

20. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Good enough that the show is still remembered fondly by those who watched it as kids during the 80's. Also, the numerous TV shows, animated movies, video games and novelizations that came afterwards.

Maybe its not Voltron-type levels, but enough people know what it is.

I think you can lay most of the blame on ADV/Sojitz. They originally had the license and actually had networks like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network interested in it. They even comissioned two different dubs to see which sticked. Nick liked the more comedy/parody aspect that you disliked while CN liked the more straight-type dub. Of course, ADV went under, torpedoing the show's chances.