1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime on VHS (nostalgia thread)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by wonderfly, Mar 2, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Who here remembers collecting anime on VHS in the 90's? (and the early 2000's, but it was pretty well dead by 2002/2003).

Share your memories! What anime did you own on VHS? What was your first anime on VHS? And is there a complete list of what anime was released on VHS? I'm trying to figure out when anime VHS tapes were first released to when they were stopped (probably from 1991 to 2003).

I've already mentioned in another thread that my first experience viewing anime was a VHS tape someone loaned me of a recording of Vampire Hunter D (which aired on the Sci-Fi Channel). So I went to a comic shop and found a small (and I mean small) selection of anime tapes on VHS. This would've been late '93 or early '94.I ended up picking one that looked cool, called Dominion Tank Police. In fact, this was the exact cover:

[​IMG]

I went home and played it, and was shocked to hear Japanese being spoken, with English subtitles at the bottom of the screen (yes, I didn't pay attention to the writing at the bottom of the VHS cover). I never did buy the rest of the series (someone else in the store snatched up the remaining copies)...and I quickly realized I had to make a decision as to whether to buy subtitled versions or English versions. Decided I would prefer English. Still, I remember overall enjoying it...maybe if I had started with a Japanese drama, instead of a comedy, I would've kept buying Subtitled versions (their voices in this anime turned into shrieks an awful lot as something silly happened).

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I had no video collection of my own until I went to college, at which point DVD was coming into its own (my first DVD: Gundam Wing Endless Waltz. Big surprise, huh? ;) ). However, it was thanks to video rentals that I was able to discover the complete Vision of Escaflowne and witness the awesome first episode with the awesome dragon that Fox Kids did not deign to show us. Hooray for uncut anime!

3. JShaggy

JShaggy You Serious?!

Same here, but it was after I had moved into a place of my own while in college that I started accumulating a small collection of anime titles, though none of them were on VHS. The very first title I bought was the original Ghost in the Shell movie. But even so, I was already well exposed to anime from watching The Anime Network via Video-On-Demand when it first started. I remember watching just about every episode of Nadesico, Full Metal Panic!, Jing: King of Bandits, and a few others from the former ADV Films library.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't really start collecting until sometime around middle school after Kids' WB afternoon block ended. By that point, DVDs had completely taken over VHS tapes. I do remember the first VHS tapes for an anime that I got though. For my tenth or eleventh birthday, I got a cool case with four Pokemon VHS tapes that contained various episodes from the first season. It was fun to watch the series whenever I wanted to instead of when it was on Kids' WB, but I didn't try to collect too many other VHS tapes. I have VHS tapes for the first seven Pokemon movies, but I don't think that I was into collecting more since I could see most of the first season on Kids' WB on their weekday afternoon block and didn't see the need to buy VHS tapes.

Still, the case was really cool and I remember enjoying watching the episodes. Even the promos at the end of the tapes make me feel nostalgic. The promos were for I think for a Ranma 1/2 movie and The Dog of Flanders. It would have been nice to start collecting earlier, if only so that I could have gotten the Johto League Champions, Advance Challenge and Advance Battle on DVD before they became harder to find. I might have started buying other anime titles earlier if that happened as well.

5. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Ah, the age of VHS - when large anime like Digimon or Pokemon couldn't get all their episodes out due to technological limitations. Unless it was Dragon Ball Z, Gundam, or Sailor Moon of course.

Really, I more remember fondly going into Suncoast (back then the best place to find anime) and looking at all their VHS selections. Gundam Stardust Memory, 08th team, subtitled DBZ, and more. It was a magical time, the Golden Age of Science Fiction, being between 14 -16 that I engulfed myself in such fantastic works. I would marvel at the art, ponder the imagery and imagine the action.

Though looking back, a good chunk of those anime were not as amazing as I imagined. Oh well.

I always wanted to purchase the VHS, but alas I had no money. Passing Sailor Moon, Digimon, and Gundam tapes in the stores, I would always wanted to get them. Even when DVD's were more available in the 2000's, I lacked such a player in high school. Sad that may of those shows are out of print.

But the greatest VHS buy was back during one summer, at a local flea market. It was a sweltering day when I came across the greatest thing a teenager could find: A VHS tape of Gundam Wing for $2. Being a huge fan of the series, I purchased it and went home to watch it. My brothers and I sat enthralled in how epic the show was, that afterwards we scrounged up enough cash to buy the other three tapes from the guy. I still have those tapes somewhere.

6. wonderfly

So most of you guys started around the time when VHS was ending. Going to have to illuminate the years prior.

I don't remember Gundam and Sailor Moon being able to get all of their episodes on VHS. In fact, my Sailor Moon collection on VHS skipped around - they only included the episodes giving an introduction to each Sailor Scout. So disappointing, but I was just happy to have Sailor Moon on VHS...

Dragon Ball Z was the exception to the rule - when Funimation took it over, it became the last bastion of anime series on VHS. I think they knew they had to wait till the end of the Buu saga to wrap up DBZ on VHS (that would've been...2003?). Compare that to Dragon Ball GT - did it get a VHS release?

7. wonderfly

For many people, collecting anime on VHS in the 90's meant buying a Streamline Pictures anime.

They started off in the late 80's doing dubs of My Neighbor Totoro and Laputa: Castle in the Sky, but those were mostly used for airline flights between Japan and the USA. Their first major acquisition for widespread distribution was Akira, released on VHS in late 1988. 1989 was followed by Kiki's Delivery Service (later redubbed by Disney) and Twilight of the Cockroaches. 1990 and 1991 brought us Lensman, Robot Carnival, Fist of the North Star, and a little known anime called "Zillion".

Here is a trailer for Robot Carnival, which aired on these early VHS releases. They were still learning how to promote their product, back then. Here is their early logo, which would air before each movie started. The early ones (like Lensman) would have this early logo.

I think "Fist of the North Star" is what really launched the direction Streamline would take from there, as they left behind lofty films like "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Twilight of the Cockroaches" and totally embraced the action anime. Thus, by 1994, every Streamline Pictures VHS tape had this classic montage promo (warning - is a bit graphic in certain parts). But it was totally awesome.

Yeah, they definitely got better with their trailers over time.

Here is their trailer for Akira
    Here is their trailer for Golgo 13
    (same warning as above for both of them)

And here's the trailer for Neo-Tokyo and Silent Mobius (I think this one is safe to show here):

[video=youtube;9Zpjbv5rFEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9Zpjbv5rFEM[/video]

There was also a trailer for Wicked City, but I won't link to it here...

8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I rented a lot of stuff and watched things that friends had, but I never owned too many of my own anime VHSes. I still have a copy of DBZ World's Strongest in my home though. My favorite of the original DBZ trilogy of movies.

I remember Columbia House used to have a commercial for their anime side of the video sales business that would run on SciFi and some other channels. "These cartoons aren't for kids!" or some other nonsense given that was the way to advertise anime to people. It was a ridiculous ad, but I can't seem to find it anywhere online in my occasional searches for it now and then.

#8 MDawg, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  9. wonderfly

I think this is it:

[video=youtube;e-6C-PiuuZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e-6C-PiuuZI[/video]

10. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

11. Cartoon X

Cartoon X Lum the Forever

The only anime title I own on VHS is Pokemon 4 Ever.

However, I do have found memories of borrowing loads and loads of Pokemon, Hamtaro, and Dragon Ball/Z vhs' from my library and watching them over and over again. I watched those shows out of order, but even so I couldn't help but be entertained. I think the vhs I rewatched most was the second Great Saiyaman one. I've got fond memories of that arc because of that.

I also religiously recorded Pokemon and Dragon Ball when Cartoon Network aired them weekdays back then too. I recorded multiple tapes of those shows, covering Pokemon up until Master Quest and DBZ up until Garlic Jr. plus all of the Super 17 and Shadow Dragons from DBGT. In addition to that, I've got entire nights of Toonami recorded from the fall of 2005 to the fall of 2007. I would in particular rewatch the Bobobo episodes because Cartoon Network never reran the series while it was airing. Ah, it makes me glad that I can watch the show whenever I want on dvd, now. One of these days I should try and capture what I've got on my vhs' digitally, since they'd make for quite nice nostalgia trips.

12. JShaggy

JShaggy You Serious?!

I remember going into Sam Goody when it was still around back in the day, and they had a good collection of anime titles on VHS from DBZ to Sailor Moon (none of which I could buy since I couldn't really afford a lot of things growing up).

The only actual anime on VHS I owned at the time was the first volume of Pokemon, namely to see the Pokerap in its entirety even though my younger brother and I had the Pokemon CD, 2 B a Master, before that (and this was before the Pokerap was replaced with Pikachu's Jukebox on the TV version that aired on Kids' WB).

13. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

I remember collecting all the Sailor Moon on VHS that I could find, except for the subtitled-only movies, those were too expensive for me.
    DiC only released a Doom Tree Series box set, and some random episodes from season 1 on about six tapes.
    Later when ADV released all of season 1 on VHS I picked it up

About the only other anime VHS I bought was the Tenchi Muyo Mihoshi Special.
    All my other anime at the time was available on DVD and I preferred getting DVD instead of VHS.

One thing I remember seeing in the store was the DBZ VHS sets with the spine murals. I always admired them and was disappointed that the spine art on the DVDs didn't form any picture when placed next to each other on a shelf.

14. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

I remember seeing that Ad on Sci-fi! Memories :D

But yeah, in retrospect it's utterly silly, trying to focus on the "mature" elements of anime to get out of the animation age box.

If the VHS tapes at the local gaming store is any indication, every episode of Gundam Wing was released on VHS.

Man, it would have been so cool to own a Sailor Moon VHS though.

15. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I had a huge anime VHS collection since I got into it in 1995. It was mainly Ranma 1/2 that dominated it since it was my first anime series. I'm just now replacing the VHS tapes with the Blu-ray release of the TV Series (I got Seasons 6+7, the OAVs, and movies on DVD). It's surprising how a good majority of my VHS collection I managed to replace on DVD (Evangelion, Tenchi, El Hazard, Cowoby Bebop, Escaflowne, Utena etc.) While my blog goes into far more detail about my experience with the VHS era I think I lucked out during my college years by living down the street from a store that specialized in anime rentals. This allowed me to try out tons of series before committing to a purchase and made for some fun weekend marathons with my house mates, it also helped for a smoother transition into the DVD era.

These days while I do have a few VHS tapes of some obscure things the majority of my collection in DVD/Blu-ray/Digital-only.

16. wonderfly

I linked to the Streamline Pictures montage commercial for many of their properties above. Many of you may remember these other anime companies montage commercials:

Manga Entertainment: This company pretty much is what replaced Streamline Pictures as the go to place for the ultra violent action anime films (with their two biggest crowning achievements being "Ninja Scroll" and the "Ghost in the Shell" film).
    Here is Manga Entertainment's classic montage commercial that aired on a lot of their early VHS tapes. (warning - very brief flash of adult stuff).

Central Park Media: They had a wide array of titles, many of which aired on Sci-Fi Channel marathons (they brought us Project A-Ko and Demon City Shinjuku). Here is their montage commercial which ran on many of their VHS tapes.

AD Vision: Their biggest hit was probably Neon Genesis Evangelion. Here is their commercial montage which ran on many of their VHS tapes.

17. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

The only series I personally had VHS of was Pokemon. But I believe we had a copy of Akira at some point. We were poor so there weren't a lot of video tapes apart from what we got at yard sales (and most of those were Disney).

18. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

I only had three different anime on VHS, but I was very young at the time. I had one or two Speed Racer tapes, Sherlock Hound, and the Sonic OVA. I have no idea what any of their fates were, but I've since gotten the complete series of Speed Racer, and the Sonic OVA on DVD.

I remember recording complete series off of TV with my VCR, like G Gundam, and other series, but those for some reason didn't come with us when we moved. They don't really count anyway though.

I didn't start collecting anime or shows in general until I was in High School when I had a part time job, and by then DVD had already taken over.

19. Ty0005

Ty0005 Member

You have entire nights of 2005 Toonami recorded? Man, that is awesome to have. I Have a ton of Toonami broadcasts of mostly Tom 1/2 recorded. Wish I had those though, loved me some bobo. I have my Toonami Broadcast catalog on dvd now after they were digitized from VHS.

I used to own a ton of Dbz anime VHS tapes but I now have the first 2-3 seasons on blu ray.

20. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Oddly enough, the only anime I ever owned (and still own) on VHS are the 13 episodes of the original Dragon Ball that were released before FUNi went on to Dragon Ball Z in 1996. I ordered it from some company because I wanted to see the original series, and I didn't have a DVD player yet.

One time I rented the uncut, dubbed "Tree of Might" movie from my local Blockbuster on VHS.