Anime of the Month (04/2012) - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by JShaggy, Apr 9, 2012.

?

Rate this month's AotM: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

1. 5 - Sugoi! [Awesome!]

100.0%
  2. 4 - Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 - Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 - Fair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 - Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 0 - Kill it with Fire!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JShaggy

JShaggy Completely Out of Character

Be very very careful getting into contracts with small furry animals, especially after watching this month's AotM:

[​IMG]
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Volume 1 is available right now from Aniplex USA, with Volume 2 coming out April 10th.

Synopsis:
    http://madokamagicausa.com/story-intro.php
    Discuss your thoughts about the series, but keep all potential spoilers to a minimum. Also, don't forget to rate the series when you're finished.

2. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Aniplex releasing this meant a huge chunk of the anime audience in North America will be missing out on it, or turning to illegal means. That's a shame, since this show had a ton of hype and probably would have sold well, on a Haruhi or Gurren Lagann level at least.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

Fortunately Madoka is now free on Crunchyroll, with 8 episodes out now and the remaining four on the way.

I saw four eps dubbed at Katsucon, so I'll continue from there with this and experience it in Japanese too. So far so good...but wow, it is a creepy and haunting tale.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/puella-magi-madoka-magica

4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away... Moderator Reporter

I adore this anime. I love the deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. I've heard many say other Magical Girl shows have done better, but I don't really watch a lot of anime, so I can't concur or disagree. I don't particularly care, I think this is a great anime. Awesome and shocking plot twists, beautiful animation (even if the loli-like character design is a bit too bland for my taste; though that was likely the point), and just a generally well-paced show that handles each character's problems with grace and good balance.

I know the English DVDs are being released in volumes, but I kind of hope for a full boxed set in the near future. Would make it easier to collect in one gulp than bit by bit.

5. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I watched the first three episodes of the show the other day, and man does it have some trippy/gorgeous visuals. Plus, the ending to episode three, wow...that's what it means to be a magical girl...

6. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume. Moderator Reporter

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

So episode 12 is out on Crunchyroll now (the last one). Me, I'm gonna marathon to the end when I have time. Anyone have thoughts on how it all worked out?

8. Neo Yi

Neo Yi In a Dream, I Can See, You Are Not Far Away... Moderator Reporter

Managed to rewatch Episode 12. I plan to dive in and rewatch the entire series again, if not in an attempt to better remember and analyze the show. I will say that I am amazed at how much foreshadowing and build up they managed to pull to conclude Madoka's final fate. It just works without feeling like a cheap cop out.