1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Forum Resource Wishes & Suggestions - Open Thread

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by GWOtaku, Aug 28, 2017.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

All right folks, here's your chance make a wish. Or two, or three, or as many as you want.

Imagine you're a newbie trying to figure this anime thing out. Or, maybe you've had moments where you thought "I wish a guide for _____ existed".

Well, hit me. What do you want? What should be here?

I've got some ideas in my head already. A thread for legal ways to find anime & manga in English. Guides to anime based on genre, a dummy's guide to franchise X. Talkback collections. A thread for tracking upcoming anime and gathering all manner of hype in one easy one-stop-shop location. There could be more besides any of that, I'm sure there is.

Speaking of which, if there are awesome *existing* resources you think more people should know about, I want those too. It could be some kind of great blog, a youtube video or even somebody's whole channel, a chart (I really liked this), somebody's book, a top 100 list, whatever. I've saved a lot of things on my own over the years here and there, but I know better than to think I've seen (or remembered) everything.

Of course, I'm one guy with a lot going on, so it all can't happen at once or necessarily "soon". Got to prioritize. But I'd like to start taking the 1,000 mile journey, and having some sense of what people would like best would be helpful.

This is an open thread. Go crazy. Consecutive posts are allowed. The only rule is that no one's idea can be called stupid. Here begins GWO's quest to get back in the groove again.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 GWOtaku, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Nice idea for a thread
    And if I can throw my hat into the ring for legal ways to watch anime, Funimation's official website has full series dubbed and for free, not all of them mind you but a really good chunk.

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

#3 SB20xx, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah, legal sites to summarize off the top of my head....

Anime

• Crunchyroll
    • FunimationNow
    • HiDive
    • Various youtube channels as referenced above
    • Hulu
    • Netflix
    • Amazon / Anime Strike Channel
    • VRV
    • Crackle
    • Viewster
    • Daisuki (soon to be gone though, so I won't bother)
    • AnimeLab (for Australia + NZ)
    • Animax UK
    Probably some other region-specific ones to touch on, if I really want to get detailed.

Manga

• Comixology (duh)
    • Comic Walker
    • VizManga
    • Crunchyroll Manga
    • Manga Reborn
    • Probably more, I have casual knowledge of this space
    It might not be bad to conjure an overview of legit anime / manga distributors as well.

Also hit on an idea to keep track of what's getting limited runs in U.S. theaters, since that's becoming so much more of a thing now. Maybe I expand on that to cover everything animated, not just anime. One way to push awareness of animated movies beyond what the big U.S. studios are up to.