1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation Revelation's Top 65 Animated Series of All Time

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by chalmers, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope you don't mind the massive bump, but I can't believe that it's been over a year since we posted the list. Not everyone agreed with every single decision we made, but the reception has been overly positive all over the map, and I'm eternally grateful for it.

Looking back on the rankings now, there are a couple of things I would have done differently, a show or two I would have put higher or lower, but some of the more surprising decisions are ones that I'm still the most proud of. Due to my incredible boredom over here at my sister's house, I'm willing to discuss any such aspect of the list with you guys now. Feel free to hit me up.

2. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Well, since you're bumping, here goes.

* I'm seeing a ton of "it's" that should be "its". I saw this several times in the Jake Long and Angry Beavers reviews, and it's probably elsewhere too. (Hint: Try replacing it with "it is". If the sentence no longer makes sense, then you probably want to use "its".)

* If A:TLA gets so low because they think it has minor flaws that add up, then why is Gargoyles so high? I thought it was pretty much unanimous that Goliath Chronicles was crap, but there's not even a mention of that season.

* Obligatory "I think The Life and Times of Juniper Lee is 10 times better than American Dragon: Jake Long" comment in 3... 2... :D (Seriously, I think Juniper Lee needs more love.)

* I've honestly never seen Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, Duckman, Futurama, Space Ghost, or any of the anime. I don't even know if anime is even my thing, since I've only seen two in my life (Pokémon back when Misty was still on the show, and oddly, Samurai Pizza Cats when I was 6).

* I've made it no secret that I utterly despise Animaniacs simply because I find Yakko, Wakko and Dot annoying. Some of it may also be due to childhood teasing over disliking a certain segment. That said, I do like Slappy Squirrel, and I could like Pinky & the Brain if I ever get around to watching it.

* It's funny that Light Lucario said the "Bolognius Maximus" was the episode of Invader Zim that turned him off. That was the first episode I saw, and about two minutes in I was "WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN" and turned it off. It took me most of a decade to finally come around and enjoy that show.

* South Park always lost me with all the topical episodes, since I don't pay much attention to the news. I think I just reached a point where I realized I was only watching it because it allowed me to stay up late (to be fair, I was 13 in 2000), and then that very disturbing "Scott Tenorman Must Die" episode was the turning point.

* I only barely remember little bits and pieces of the CN shows on here Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Courage, Cow & Chicken, etc., so I really should revisit those. And I only watched EEnE sporadically because the squigglevision and voice styles always (literally) nauseated me. It didn't help that Kevin sounded almost exactly like a bully I knew.

* Likewise, I rarely watched Rocko's Modern Life growing up since my mom hated it. I caught one rerun on Nicktoons a while back and found it funny (even though it was 3 AM and I was a lot closer to asleep than awake). Like I don't already have enough in my re-watch pile. :D

====

I wonder how a list of this caliber would look 10 years from now. 10 years from now, would we still hold shows like MLP:FIM or Phineas & Ferb in high regard?

3. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

I think overall, this AR Top 65 list is among the greatest rank list i have seen about animation online. There's many attentions and details the staff really nail about how matters this shows are and how they help to reach a cultural impact which every shows wishes to had. Each time, i read the list, i learn more than i ever tough and feel me desire to knows the shows ranked more than the over-populars shows everyone talks.

However, i really like how Jake Long was ranked and not Kim Possible since KP goes such values productions suffers at the end while JL improved by the lasts episodes tough with a wonky first season. I don't know what's your minds about "Teacher's Pet" and "The Weekenders" but they are among the most original Disney animated television they offer in the lasts years until we got "Gravity Falls".

I always wonder what you think about Garfield & Friends. Okay, the two firsts seasons don't hold very well but it's one of the few animated series when each seasons gets a major improvement and one of the rare ones which was not cancelled because of the episodes' mediocrity but to do something else. The US Acress' Segment deserve a mention to be more cartoony driven seasons by seasons. The lasts seasons was a sign of great final hilarity.

4. Cartoon X

Cartoon X Lum the Forever

People who are growing up with those shows right now will, probably, simmilar to how the early Cartoon Cartoons, the Disney Afternoon shows, and the Warner Bros. Silver Age cartoons are regarded on Animation Revolution. It's going to depend on what people are compiling this kind of list. People who grew up in the 90's experienced a wide variety of cartoons from multiple different eras, so they know or should know what the timeless classics truly were. But people growing up in the 2000s have been fairly bereft of this experience, and probably would hold more recent shows in much higher regard simply due to a lack of exposure.

5. Martin Juneau

The same can be said about music and movies too. Peoples who have good experience of the 80's and 90's will have better issues to find the timeless classics than those who grow just in 2000's with the multiculturalism problem.

From i seen about Juniper Lee, it's a good underatted show alright and deserve more spots but it don't hold so much in 2012. It don't help that the characters are unappealing in the not-so-good way. The plot was a bit too cliché and being tiresome to look and was mostly done for rivalised with Jake Long back in the day.

6. TenPoundHammer

By "tiresome to look", are you referring to the animation? I thought Juniper Lee's animation was superior.

7. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, while rereading, I noticed these myself. Some of which are my fault, in fact. we should probably do a quick edit of the post soon.

It is a unanimous opinion that The Goliath Chronicles is weak, but it is also unanimous that TGC doesn't count as a part of the series. Greg Weisman himself dimisses the entire season, and it can easily be counted as a different series, similar to Beast Machines.

Well it's hard to say if anime is your thing if you haven't seen many series at all. Pokemon and Samurai Pizza Cats are hardly representative of Japanese animation's vast work.

haha, that's pretty interesting. oh, but for the record, Light Lucario is a she.;)

I liked both series when I was younger, but I've only caught up with The Weekenders as an adult. It holds up fairly well, which I'm not surprised, since I always considered it to be a smarter version of Recess, which I also liked. Maybe if we extended it to a top 100, we could put The Weekenders on.

I should probably watch some Teacher's Pet again myself though. And I also enjoy Gravity Falls, in case you were wondering.

[QUOTE=Martin Juneau;4026270I always wonder what you think about Garfield & Friends. Okay, the two firsts seasons don't hold very well but it's one of the few animated series when each seasons gets a major improvement and one of the rare ones which was not cancelled because of the episodes' mediocrity but to do something else. The US Acress' Segment deserve a mention to be more cartoony driven seasons by seasons. The lasts seasons was a sign of great final hilarity.[/QUOTE]
    [I]Garfield & Friends [/I]was a fun take on the character, especially considering how week the series is. We probably should've found room for it.

8. TenPoundHammer

I've at least heard of many other series, but none of the premises sound interesting. Maybe I'm just instinctively backing off because it's unfamiliar territory to me?

9. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Maybe. Action-friendly shonen, deep rooted seinen and lovey-dovey harem are among the most popular type of anime that find a reception across the sea, and maybe most of what catches on just doesn't appeal to you. I don't think it's fair to entirely dismiss anime because a lot of series that are popular seem weird and don't appeal to you, but I can understand if you're not interested in certain things. I still believe that there's something for everyone, however.

I'd recommend watching one or two of Studio Ghibli's movies. They're among the most beloved works of Japanese animation and there's a wide array of titles for you to check out.

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Since I'm bored, I'm going through the whole list:

Agreed:
    -Animaniacs: Despite some dud segments (hippos, I'm looking at you), it had some winners. And it carried on the tradition of full animation as started in Tiny Toons, which is even more appreciated in today's climate. My favorites were almost always Slappy Squirrel and the Warners.

-Batman: The Animated Series: Amazing how well this holds up, thanks to the atmosphere, the orchestral music, and the animation quality. Plus, Batman is at his most badass here.

-Cowboy Bebop: Again, sure, why not.

-Critic: Despite the dated parodies, it still gets some laughs out of me, especially from Duke Phillips and Frank Sherman

-Darkwing Duck: A very hesitant agree. It could be a pretty uneven series (and it really needed less Sunwoo and Hanho Heung Up and more Walt Disney Japan and Australia), but its good episodes were really good.

-Duckman: Aside from the uneven fourth season, this remains one of the best animated shows ever.

-Ed, Edd n' Eddy: It's been a while since I've seen it, so I'm not sure if I should include it on the agree list, but I do remember liking it, especially the cartoony animation.

-Excel Saga: Its only downside is it can be uneven. Not every episode fires on all cylinders. When it does, though, it's a riot.

-FMP: The Second Raid: The best of the three seasons.

-Fullmetal Alchemist: It goes without saying, but I'm referring to the first series. Didn't like Brotherhood as much.

-Futurama: Pretty consistently entertaining and made good use of the futuristic atmosphere. Haven't seen the Comedy Central seasons yet, though.

-Freakazoid!: Was constantly fourth-wall breaking way before Family Guy.

-Harvey Birdman: Arguably the best of the initial Adult Swim series. Still entertaining to watch.

-Home Movies: I would've placed Dr. Katz in this place instead, but this is still a solid choice.

-Huckleberry Hound: Not my absolute favorites, but I still say early '60s Hanna Barbera isn't too bad. By the mid '60s, though, everything went to hell.

-King of the Hill: Funny, memorable characters, a good variety of humor styles, lots of backstory revealed throughout the series, amusing interplay between the characters, down-to-earth, engaging plots (though moreso in the first eight or nine seasons), I love it.

-Looney Tunes: With the exception of a couple eras (1934-1936; post-63), it's astounding how frequently these cartoons hit the mark. Still some of my favorite cartoons ever.

-MGM animation: Some of the best theatrical work ever produced.

-Pinky & the Brain: Never really watched the separate P&TB series, but their segments on Animaniacs! were almost always entertaining.

-Rocko's Modern Life: Still as much fun to watch as back in 1993-1996. "Wacky Delly" is still genius.

-Rocky and Bullwinkle: Some of the supporting segments aren't so great (Fractured Fairy Tales, Peabody & Sherman), but Dudley Doright and R&B are still funny as ever. It's one of those shows you can appreciate and enjoy more as an adult.

-Simpsons: OK, yes, post season 9 is pretty hit-and-miss, but the first eight or nine seasons are some of the best television ever made.

-South Park: I'm not the biggest fan (I haven't watched the show since, oh, 2006), but its good episodes are really good. "It Hits the Fan" is still brilliant.

-Space Ghost Coast to Coast: While the show got off to a slow start (IMO, the series really didn't take off until 1996), it's still a fun, surreal watch. My favorite episodes were from the 1998 season; aside from MAYBE "Chinatown", not a single bad one in the bunch.

-Tiny Toon Adventures: In case it isn't blatantly obvious, this show is still one of my favorites, warts and all.

Disagreed:

-Angry Beavers: Watched the first two seasons recently and it didn't hold up very well

-Baccano!: It's good, but I doubt it would make my top series list

-Boondocks: Never saw what was so great about it. I did like "...Or Die Trying", though.

-Courage the Cowardly Dog: I did like the What a Cartoon! pilot, though.

-Cow & Chicken: Eh.

-Death Note: Hated the main character. I realize that's the point, but it made the series hard to watch.

-Dragon Ball: Not a Dragon Ball fan.

-DuckTales: Never a big fan. Not horrible, though.

-Flintstones, The: Always partial to The Jetsons myself. But this was mildly amusing, I guess.

-Neon Genesis Evangelion: I watched this exactly once and never again. I understand and appreciate its influence on anime, and I did think the strained relationships made for good melodrama, but it holds zero replay value for me. Frankly at this point in my life, I'd rather watch the Rebuild movies because they take far less time to watch, aren't so depressing, and have a higher budget.

-Paranoia Agent: Like Baccano!, it's not bad, but I didn't adore it either.

-When they Cry: Higurashi: I saw a few episodes of this and it didn't appeal to me at all.

Haven't seen, or haven't seen enough to form an opinion:

-American Dragon: Jake Long

-Avengers

-Batman Beyond

-Batman: The Brave and the Bold

-Beast Wars: Saw "Beast Machines", though.

-Daria

-Dexter's Lab: Didn't watch it much.

-Gargoyles: Hey, shut up. I wasn't watching much Disney Afternoon in 1994.

-GTO: Only saw the first three episodes.

-Gundam: I'm about the biggest noob to this franchise, especially on this forum. I've only seen a few random episodes of SEED when it aired on CN, and I've seen the first episode of 00. That's it.

-Hunter X Hunter

-Invader Zim: Never really watched it (don't shoot me!).

-Johnny Bravo: Never got into this one, so I never watched very many episodes.

-Jonny Quest: Mostly seen the parodies of this than the source material.

-Justice League Unlimited: Seen one episode, I think.

-Lupin III: Only seen Cagliostro.

-Megas XLR

-Monster

-Powerpuff Girls: Only watched a few random episodes. Can you tell by now that I was more into NickToons than Cartoon Cartoons?

-Real Ghostbusters

-Reboot

-Spectacular Spider-Man

-Superman TAS

-TMNT 2K3: Only seen a few random episodes and "Turtles Forever".

-WITCH

-X-Men Evolution

-Yu Yu Hakusho: Only seen a few episodes on CN.

What would've made my list:

-Aaahh! Real Monsters: One of the better Klasky Csupo shows. Creative and fast-paced. Holds up surprisingly well.

-Azumanga Daioh: It's hard to describe why this show works, but it just does.

-Black Lagoon: It's been a while since I've watched it, but I do remember it being highly engaging with its well-directed action and one of the best dub tracks I've ever heard.

-Clerks: The Animated Series: Yeah, it's super short, but each episode has a large amount of laughs. It's also one of the few series where I don't mind thick-line character outlines.

-Dilbert: Some fine satire on office politics and society in general. It was a good transition from the comic, and the voices fit the characters.

-Doug: One of the more realistic portrayals of pre-pubescence. I think we can all relate to at least one of Doug's issues.

-Dr. Katz: As mentioned in Home Movies above. I think the dialog exchanges are funnier; Dr. Katz and Ben in particular have great chemistry. And the guests offered some amusing material in the therapy sessions, even if it didn't really feel "natural" that people would be doing their act in therapy instead of talking about their problems.

-Family Guy: Mainly for the first four seasons, which are still enjoyable, fast-paced, and funny. I lost interest around season 7, though.

-Mission Hill: Cut off in its prime. One of the more unique art styles in any cartoon.

-Ren & Stimpy: The first two seasons are, for the most part, excellent and set a new standard for television animation. The Games episodes started strong, but seasons 4 and 5 were hit and miss. Still, it's not enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the series.

-SpongeBob: Much like Simpsons, it got very hit and miss after its 2005 revival, but its original run was pretty consistently entertaining and had a plethora of funny sight gags and facial expressions. I don't see why consistency should be an issue with lists like this; you could always make a cut-off point of what seasons you feel should count and disregard the rest.

-What a Cartoon! Show: It's an animated variety show, with a wide variety of art/animation styles and writing styles. What's not to like?

11. Martin Juneau

Nope. I refering to the characters. I don't find it so engaging or special from i seen, but this is something i should check out more.

12. KatieJ.Adam

KatieJ.Adam New Member

Death Note, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Tiny Toon Adventures are rightly mentioned in the list. These were truly very good animation of all time. I thing the list has done fair with the best animated series of all time.

13. lucas

lucas Member

I would put the dcau series higher up I would definitely go by exosquard shawdow raiders maybe rougnecks
    I loved the star wars the clone wars I think should be there
    As well without spawn and the maxx
    I found redwall a pretty good series

14. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Wow, what a bump! I remember the hard work my staff and I put on this list, and looking back, there's a handful of rankings that I don't necessarily stand by now, but I'm proud of a lot of this list.

I do think that we could do better, though. Maybe in a couple of years, we could redo this and go for the full 100. I wanted to stop with 65 at the time, since I was afraid that if we went for more, we would start ranking a lot of the also-rans, but there's been enough great series which have premiered in the years since, as well as some older gems we've discovered, that deserve the attention.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lucas

lucas Member

I liked his list I thought the dcau could be higher as I said put exosquard and put super man in front of batman beyond but I liked it a lot and I agree with a lot of your decisions could not have done better but only one question per Why not wolf rain or samurai champlo?

#335 lucas, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017