Animation on FOX Talkback/Discussion 2017-2018 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by JTOONSAnimation, Oct 1, 2017.

?

What are you most excited for?

1. The Simpsons

62.5%
  2. Family Guy

37.5%
  3. Bob's Burgers

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Another good Family Guy episode, sure it could have been just a dream but It was prefectly fine, I kind of enjoyed how the setup was well handled to make that evident while not being so forced. The part with the Canadian Goose was really funny.

2. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

October 15, 2017
    7:30 PM (EST/PST) - Bob's Burgers - "The Silence of the Louise" - When Mr. Frond's therapy dolls are mysteriously attacked, Louise teams up with Millie to help solve the case. Meanwhile, Teddy decides to get into the inspirational poster business, but ends up with mixed results.

8:00 PM (EST/PST) - The Simpsons - "Whistler's Father" - Homer discovers that Maggie is a whistling savant and launches her baby-celebrity career. Meanwhile, Marge impresses Fat Tony with her interior design taste, and he hires her to style his brothel

9:00 PM (EST/PST) - Family Guy - "Nanny Goats" - The Griffins get a nanny for the kids

3. JTOONSAnimation

My thoughts:

Bob's Burgers - "The Silence of the Louise"
    (8/10)
    The episode was pretty good. Nice to see Millie return and actually have her and Louise have some friendship development. The end of the episode was kind of a twist, I did not expect Frond, Ambrose, and LaBonz to be the ones. Overall pretty good.

The Simpsons - "Whistler's Father"
    (7.5/10)
    While last week's episode was more enjoyable, this one wasn't awful, I loved the plot and I don't know why but the part with the fake Simpson family sitting on the display couch, followed by "Doo!" was hilarious too me.

Family Guy - "Nanny Goats"
    (8/10)
    This is one of the best episodes the show had in a while, there were some good parts, focusing on the current relationship between Peter and Lois. Overall very good!

4. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

Forgot to write last week's thoughts, but Simpsons had the better episode that week, while Family Guy was just an okay episode.

Now for this week's block of premieres:

Bob’s Burgers The Silence of the Louise: (Greg Thompson/Chris Song)
    I don’ know why but that title kind of gave it away. For a second, I thought it was going to be a Halloween themed episode, but it’s just a Silence of the Lamb parody, plot wise. And Greg Thompson managed to excel at this spoof. They actually made Millie an even more creepier character, although at one point, she got upset at Louise for accusing her. The main plot kept me more interested. But the subplot was pretty funny as well.

The Simpsons: Whistler’s Father (Tom Gammill & Max Pross/Matthew Faughan)
    To my surprise, this was actually a good episode, with a rather fresh plot imo. Simpsons fans didn’t enjoyed this (from NoHomers, apparently), but I thought it was still watchable aside from a few crappy jokes. The Trey Parker part really grabbed my attention, because Lisa actually mentioned one of the creators of South Park. Maggie plots are usually good and this is no expectation. The episode was promising at first but eventually it started to get dragged down by the rather letdown ending. All in all, it’s still a surprisingly enjoyable episode. This season might be nice to me.

Family Guy: Nanny Goats (Tom Devanney/Steve Robertson)
    Sorry, but I didn't enjoyed this one that much. Season 16 still looks to be promising, but since this Alec Sulkin's 2nd episode as showrunner, I except better from an episode ran by him. But then again, whenever Tom Devanney touches a script half of the time, it will either be good or bad. When I saw his name as a writer, I wasn't going to like it that much. Most of the jokes just felt flat, and found myself groaning at such moments like the two blatant Jew jokes (Disney hates Jew and who else - Mort liking a Jewish show cause he's a Jew). Admittely, the goat puns were hilarious,but they weren't enough to save the episode. Chase scene was fun and did made the episode a bit better. Overall, this was episode was mediocre and I REALLY hope Follow the Money and Three Directors are better than this episode and Foxx in the Men House.

I'll be crediting writers/directors so people can stop assuming the creators (ESPECIALLY Seth MacFarlane) are responsible writing every single word/direction in a script/animation.

5. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

The Simpsons was okay, seems like whenever they use the entire intro it's a warning sign the episode will involve a lot of filler.

Out of all the jobs, Marge has had Interior Decorator is probably the most fitting to her character to bad this will never be referenced again. Still, the concept of a stay at home mother is unheard of in this day and age and these cartoons need to stop using that trope.

Also, it's now confirmed Fit Fat Tony is taking care of his nephew nice to know they remembered he exists.

6. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

The Silence of the Louise was pretty sweet/funny,

Louise's major focus was sweet:D.
    Teddy/Janine's moments were great/funny.
    Cool seeing Millie, a funny creepy obsessive psychopath, hahahahahaha:p.
    Louise/Millie's team-up was great/funny.
    Ugh, can the grouchy old jerkette Edith just die already:mad:.
    Mr. Frond being the culprit from Louise was great.
    Nice seeing Mr. Ambrose who's hilarious.

Whistler's Father was pretty great/funny,

Maggie's major focus was sweet, Maggie having a whistling talent was great.
    Love seeing more of the Marge/Helen rivalry, Helen a great nemesis, hehehe:p.
    The elephant gag on Homer, hahahahaha.
    Grandpa Abraham to have an unusual multi-whistling talent while making Maggie a star was sweet.
    Cool seeing Fit Fat Tony, my favorite best funny classic villain next to Sideshow Bob/Frank Grimes.
    Lisa's moment with Maggie was funny mentioning South Park, hahahahahaha:p.

Nanny Goats was pretty great/funny,

Top Gun, hehehe.
    Peter/goats, hahahahaha.
    Nice seeing Carter/Babs.
    Babs calling Peter a child, so true, hahahahahahaha.
    Stewie/goat, hahahahaha.
    Both Lois and Peter crashing to the wall, hahahahahaha:p.
    The nanny, a great funny minor female character.
    Chris's crush on the nanny, hahahahaha, your sick dude.
    Fievel.
    Evil Mickey Mouse killing Fievel, love Evil Mickey, hahahahaha:D.
    Lois mentioning The Goldbergs, black-ish, and Fresh Off The Boat, hahahahahaha.
    Slow-motion Peter/Lois, hahahahahaha.
    Cleveland's Cleveland Helicopter, hahahahahaha.
    The nanny being a kickbutt action hero along with Stewie and the chase scene was awesome/funny:D, I'll miss the nanny.
    Cleveland Jr.'s moment, hehehe, hoping for more Brown Family major focus.
    Peter/Lois's funny moment, hehehe.

#26 Radical, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  7. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

So Homer thinks Helen is hot.
    FG, knock it off with the Meg and Chris shipping. It's tiresome and gross.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. copper20

copper20 Member

Nanny Goats is absolutely the most boring episode of Family Guy in a long time. Who the hell hired Tom Devanney to write for Family Guy? He's only had 2 good episodes and those were Back to the Woods and Breaking out is hard to do.

9. JTOONSAnimation

So true, I mean it was funny a a joke at first, but it keeps reoccurring and just makes the joke more and more sick.

10. copper20

copper20 Member

I thought they got rid of the incest obession after Fresh Heir. Why's it still going on?

11. JTOONSAnimation

This Sunday is a "Halloween themed" night of premieres.

October 15, 2017
    7:30 PM (EST/PST) - Bob's Burgers - "The Wolf on Wharf Street" - On Halloween night, Linda tries to impress the kids by taking them to look for a wolf that has been terrorizing the town. Meanwhile, an injured and medicated Bob believes that Teddy has turned into a werewolf.

8:00 PM (EST/PST) - The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVIII" - Maggie becomes possessed by an ancient demon; Lisa discovers a perfect version of her family in an alternate universe; Homer cannibalizes himself.

9:00 PM (EST/PST) - Family Guy - "Follow the Money" - A one-dollar bill passes throughout Quahog
    NOTE: To my knowledge, this is not a Halloween episode, but FOX is promoting it as such.

Promos:
    Bob's Burgers:

The Simpsons:

Family Guy:

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Bob's Burgers "The Silence Of The Louise"

I love Tina's "We really should leave, but this fight is so cute."

I love that the Janitor is just jerking them around about the keys. Of course he has 'em.

A lot of kids books involve animals dying. It's kind of a bummer.

Love Teddy telling that guy to get out at the end.

I love John Roberts' line reading on "I wanna look at it," for why Linda needed two posters. Sublime.

Great mystery resolution with Mr. Frond being the culprit. The old lady spitting out the coffee is another thing that states that the adults on this show are the absolute worst.

Funny episode. ****1/2.

The Simpsons "Whistler's Father"

So great.

Homer will never enter one of the kids in a talent show without telling Marge, and Marge will no longer build sex palaces for the mob. These sins are equal.

I love that the show points out The Simpsons house is an eyesore. It's a cartoon, so you might forgive it. Except most of the other buildings and houses on the show are colored normally.

I thought the idea that Fat Tony wound up building a bordello around a sainted letter to his mother was the perfect resolution. Say what you will about the newer episodes, but they still can do a fitting ending.

Speaking of Fat Tony, I like that they never specified that the kid at school was Fat Tony's son. Since Fat Tony is now the former Fit Tony, he's probably his nephew. But they didn't specify it to keep it consistent.

Apparantly the Tonys had a third brother out there that Legs killed.

Flight of the Bumblebee. Genius song pick. That has got to be the most nightmarish song to whistle. The whistler in the episode did a surprisingly passable job, but passable is all anyone is going to get with that tune. I also would have accepted The Sabre Dance.

Watch Maggie. Why, do you think she's up to something? Nice!

Babies love Michael Caine. Astute observation from Homer, there.

Biggest laugh was Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II kissing.

Love the backwards The Simpsons in the main title. God'll fix it.

Trey does everything! TREY DOES EVERYTHING! I'm a little perturbed an 8-year-old girl knows that. That household needs itself a V-chip.

Hilarious episode. ****1/2.

Family Guy "Nanny Goats"

Okay, I enjoyed that. And pretty much the second it was over, I questioned why I did, and what kind of person that makes me.

I thought the insult runner at the end with Lois and Peter was masterful. It's a perfect back and forth, and each keeps one-upping the other in nastiness and horribleness. This is what would happen if the average cruel person was quick-witted and insightful (and they usually aren't in real-life). And it's SO perfect, and SO well-written, and SO grounded in the way real people talk, that it's another thing that says the writers of Family Guy are probably really unpleasant buttwipes in real life. Even when Family Guy does something this good, part of me can't help like feeling it sucks for it.

The "We only do the male half of the joke" thing also tells me the same thing.

The rest of the episode was watchable, if a bit average.

I liked the fact that the show sort of pointed out that ABC family comedies seem to be catered to every specific race you can think of. That's kind of a good thing, to have minorities in leading roles, but you kind of notice it when somebody else points it out.

The Last Man On Earth being an impossible premise has nothing to do with the fact that they keep meeting new cast members. The entire premise is unworkable, even if the show had 20 regular characters. And yet, it's still going on in season four, and it still has my interest. Which is the real victory. The Last Man On Earth "Pulling it off" is a much bigger virtue that Family Guy claims.

So, the show pretty much points out that Top Gun is worthless without the soundtrack. I actually think that goes for most 80's movies. It's not just Top Gun. By a longshot.

For some reason, seeing Brian getting shot in the chest makes me unusually happy. I don't care if he was fine in the next scene, it was still super satisfying when it happened.

Are the legal terms of parody truly that strict? It's not like the Mickey Mouse joke was any less funny with Peter's commentary, but I have to think they could have gotten away with it without it.

Laughed at Cleverland Jr.'s cameo. "Daddy?" You're fourteen, son! FOURTEEN!

Worst cabin ever. And the fireplace is decorative so the used condom isn't going anywhere. Luckily, Peter and Lois read those notes in order.

Those were a couple of epic slow nose exhales. Take that, Baby Mama! Which begs the question: Is Tina Fey truly better than Jesus? Because this gag suggests she might not be. Heresy!

I liked the episode, and pretty much wound up hating myself for liking the episode. But I would be a dishonest reviewer if I gave it a grade lower than four stars out of five. ****.

13. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I liked the mention of Mr. Hooper from Sesame Street. Good to know his memory still lives on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Plus, he's totally got game.

15. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Tonight’s Family Guy episode...priceless.

I never would have expected...
    Tracy Flannigan as a pole dancer, Neil Goldman to curse his late mother, and Mayor West, God rest his soul, to exclaim “heck”.

16. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

Bob's Burgers had a nice spooky atmosphere.

17. JTOONSAnimation

My thoughts:

Bob's Burgers - "The Wolf on Wharf Street"
    (8.5/10)
    Great Halloween episode, I loved the sub-plot with Bob and Teddy and Bob was under medication, again. Nice to see Randy return in all of his self-absorbed glory.

The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVIII"
    (9/10)
    I LOVE the Treehouse of Horror episodes, and this one was a great one. My favorite segment would have to be "MMM...Homer", but I did admire the CGI opening and the "Coraline" parody.

Family Guy - "Follow the Money"
    (8/10)
    I hate how Fox advertised this as a "Halloween episode". The episode was good in my opinion, it was nice to see many of the gag characters from previous season return. The strip club scene where all the lights but the black ones were hilarious.

18. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I thought there was more they could have done with that. I was hoping for appearances by Herbert, Bruce, Greased-Up-Deaf-Guy, weherever he's been hiding lately. Plus I didn't like how long that dolphin scene dragged on. I did like the fight between Lois and Nicole/Mrs. Giant Chicken. I know a lot of us had been wanting to see something like that.

19. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Season 29 episode 4 was great/funny,

Cool CGI opening.
    Pazuzu the demon possessing Maggie was funny.
    Cool seeing the Evil Leprechaun.
    Talking Snowball was great/funny.
    The Coraline parody was fantastic, nice CGI world, CGI Lisa is cute, the funny psycho Other Simpsons Family and Other Mother spoof on Other Marge was great:D.

Follow the Money was pretty sweet/funny,

Carter/Cleveland's moment, hehehe.
    Chris's birthday, sweet, but Chris loses the dollar, hehehe.
    Stewie's bet to Brian, Brian won't survive, hehehe:p.
    The dollar's adventure to the other Quahog people(Tom/Janine's boyfriend/foreign guys/rat/Mayor West/Seamus/Neil) was great.
    The dollar to the two foreign guys and the random tyrannosaurus rex was funny.
    Lois/Ernie the Giant Chicken's chemistry was great/interesting.
    Love Nicole, a great new enemy, the Nicole/Lois catfight was funny like Marge/Helen and Donna/Arianna, hehehe, hope to see more of it further episodes:D.
    Go Carter as much as I want Meg to die already.
    Chris/Carter on finding the dollar was great/funny.
    Carl's funny lines.
    Todd, a great new minor villain.
    Cleveland Jr., Mr. Washee-Washee, and Dr. Hartman's funny moments, hehehe.
    The two black dolphins, hehehe.
    Mayor Adam West, great/funny, he'll be missed, the poor guy.
    Peter not wanting to lose pulling a lightsaber and the Stormtroopers was hilarious, hahahahahaha:p.
    Neil crappy on his late mother Muriel was funny.
    Donna, Tricia, and Joyce, hahahahaha.
    Nice seeing Ida and Ryan Reynolds.
    Chris doesn't want the dollar, hehehe.
    Lois/Ernie texting was great/funny.

#39 Radical, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  20. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Treehouse of Horror XXVIII: This was very entertaining. Except the last segment. That one was just too disturbing and lacked any funny gags. But the couch gag and the first two segments were fantastic. They had the Halloween feel to them. Looks like the writers still enjoy making fun of Butterfingers despite having at once advertised for the candy. Them eating the chocolate rabbit like a bunch of zombies was funny. Especially with the Walking Dead season premiering last night.

Was the last segment even based on anything? Or was just a joke about cannibalism?