Animation Domination: American Dad - #1AJN02 - "Threat Levels" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Killtacular, May 1, 2005.

1. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

American Dad is back and approximately 6 people will be glued to their seats, absolutely rivited.

TONIGHT'S EPISODE:

Francine finds her calling when she becomes a real-estate agent and begins to make more money than Stan, leading an envious Stan to retaliate.

Here are the rules for Animation Domination talkbacks:

- NO POLITICAL TALK. You can discuss the events in the episode, but the first sign of a debate over political issues will likely be targetted by the mods and dealt with. I'm not changing this rule. DEAL WITH IT. I -may- stretch this to include religious issues as well, especially for tonight's FG (you'll see). We'll see how it goes.

- The same goes for senseless bashing. Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them) but if you think you can just walk into a thread and say "American Dad is just a rip-off of Family Guy, F-----" (which is false and that is fact) then you can forget it. Spare it for one of the millions of "What do you think of American Dad" threads that have been posted here long before you registered, and long after you leave this site. And long after this site crumbles to the ground. Robots will generate discussion when mankind falls.

- I am probably not going to talk in these talkbacks. Noone wants to hear my opinion. So I'll just say this now: Family Guy is funny right off the bat, I hear American Dad takes a few episodes to get off the ground, and The Simpsons................................ yeah, par for the course. I know better than to discuss THAT again.

2. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

2800 - One more step before I take over THIS NETWORK

Oh, yeah, you're right. More people will be watching Desperate Housewives.

How about negative opinons toward others' posts? 'Cause I do that pretty well.

Yeah, I could see robots taking over humankind as humans will make them too powerful for us to control.

3. Spongebrain2.0

Spongebrain2.0 New Member

It is going to be hard to talk about AD without politics. Since it is a political comedy:shrug:

4. Delthayre

Delthayre Retired

Swiftly to the judge's bench, aren't you?

Relish is a verb now? I assume it doesn't refer to application of a specific condiments in this useage.

That's not necessarily going to be a problem. The note explicitly notes that discussing the directly relevant issue of the episode with the forbidden discussion being that which spirals out wildly into tangental issues and broader ideological conflicts. So I think constrained discussion of American Dad's presentation and perspective on an issue will be fine, but there won't be much allowed beyond that.

For my part, I expect that beyond the comedic content being dissatisfying, I expect MacFarlane's attempt at political satire to come across as too blunt and rough for my sensibilities. I expect it will be somewhat out of date too, given the length of production. It will be like whenan episode of The Simpsons tries to seize upon popular culture or issues at the time an episode is written but doesn't actually air until well after anyone really cares.

5. shoujoaifan

shoujoaifan Active Member

I'm assuming we're allowed to say "Oh, I like this joke about this person, etc.", right? To mention the jokes we liked WITHOUT having to debate the issues used in the joke, right? OH, and our favorite 1-liners. As well as creative criticism, totally optional of course

I mean, that's every single post in every single thread about every single show EVAR. "EVAR" being totally optional of course.

6. Spongebrain2.0

Spongebrain2.0 New Member

No, AD is actually a lot more up to date than The Simpsons. The Simpsons waits way too long to make fun of current issues and pop culture. They waited almost 7 years to parody South Park and Pokemon:shrug:

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

They never parodied Pokemon specifically. They just showed Pikachu in one episode. As for South Park, SP paid tribute to The Simpsons in their "Simpsons Did It" episode, so The Simpsons returned the favor in their next season...it had nothing to do with "being current."

FYI: there's an episode coming where Mayor Quimby faces a recall election. In NEXT season. :p

As for American Dad: when it first showed up the reaction was mixed, now on the night of the premiere, before it's even started, I'm seeing people all over the place who want to boil Stan in blood. Geez, people, whatever happened to giving something a chance? If all that had been produced of Family Guy were the first two episodes, you would hate that show too. I enjoyed the Super Bowl AD episode...

8. Yash

Yash dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura

rel·ish [​IMG] ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (r[​IMG]l[​IMG][​IMG]sh)
    n.
    1. An appetite for something; a strong appreciation or liking: a relish for luxury.
      1. Hearty enjoyment; zest. See Synonyms at zest.
      2. Something that lends pleasure or zest.
      1. A spicy or savory condiment or appetizer, such as chutney or olives.
      2. A condiment of chopped sweet pickle.
    2. The flavor of a food, especially when appetizing. See Synonyms at taste.
    3. A trace or suggestion of a pleasurable quality.

9. William C. Maune

William C. Maune TZ News Editor in Chief

From the way I interpret Matt's post, you can talk about the events in the episode as long as you don't debate whether the individual political issue is good/bad/etc. Once something becomes a debate about the political issue then it is no longer about the actual episode and thus off-topic for the thread. That's my take at least, Matt may need to clarify if I got it wrong though.

10. Delthayre

Delthayre Retired

Suprisingly, I know that words mean things!

I... I... I was jestingly referring to Matt's phrase, "Negative opinions are perfectly fine (I relish in them)."

11. shoujoaifan

shoujoaifan Active Member

Ditto, it was only one episode, and had some funny moments (ironically the best parts were with Steve with his teen problems rather than the star of the show with political jokes). ALTHOUGH Seth and Co. may or may not be able to handle things in a more subtle way, but would be their blunt selves, which works good for FG. I haven't had too much experience with political humor, so I wouldn't really know what's generally considered subtle enough.

On the other hand, I started watching CC's The Daily Show, and there's an article out there about how its audience is more learned about current world affairs than the audiences of more popular talk shows. GRANTED that show HAS to be blunt with its structure, but still doesn't change the fact that blunt political humor can work.

I'm not stupid though, I'm not keeping my hopes up for AD's political humor turning out to be a masterpiece, but as long as its passable and Steve and the rest of the non-political support characters are hilarious as hell, then good enough for me.

12. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

Yes, basically. I'm just tired of that bullcrap and it accomplishes nothing other than people eventually insulting each other and their beliefs.

13. NickWhiz1

NickWhiz1 New Member

American Dad got DISCLAIMER'D too.

14. Djm912

Djm912 GREETINGS, GENTLEVIEWERS!

If anything, I can enjoy Seth singing the theme song.

15. Rook

Rook On the high edge of freedom

"there...REPORTERS!"
    liberal media unleashed.!

16. Obi

Obi SEVEN. MONDAY.

Not really liking the alien.

17. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

At least they're not trying to follow how Family Guy's style and pace of humor.

But it's alright.

18. Djm912

Djm912 GREETINGS, GENTLEVIEWERS!

"And I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Wow. . .talk about outta nowhere.

19. Sir T. Ghostal

Sir T. Ghostal New Member

That joke where the guy pulled his pants down was a little much. Jeez.

20. Yash

Yash dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura

No wang... disturbing ;_;