Animated Suicide.

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Antiyonder, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

While there are occasional deaths in American Animated, how often does suicide occur?

And I mean the character dies as a result of suicide, not attempting it and decides to go on living.

So far, the only one I recall is Spider-Carnage on Spider-Man TAS. He hops into a portal that leads to his death, because he couldn't rid himself of the Carnage Symbiote.

Batman Beyond "Meltdown" Mr. Freeze successfully attempts suicide after discovering that his new body was reverting to the condition of his old one. He does so, by bringing down a building on himself, and there's a hole in his suit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Bonehead

There were several Looney Tunes I remember in my youth about characters taking a gun and shooting themselves in the head, but nowadays I sincerely doubt you'll see those cartoons.

Family Guy once had an episode where Meg joined a cult and the cult killed themselves.

In Perchance to Dream on BTAS Batman commited suicide in his dream life by jumping off a clock tower.

3. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Something I heard about Lion King 2:

Er, would Frank Grimes count, or would you consider his death accidental?

An old Disney comic has Mickey Mouse trying to kill himself several times. He eventually gives up, so it doesn't really count for this topic, but it's still kind of shocking to see nowadays.

4. Spongebrain2.0

Spongebrain2.0 New Member

I am positive South Park has done numerous suicides, just can't remember them

5. TrogdorNyimbhat

TrogdorNyimbhat New Member

Same for Ren & Stimpy.

6. Ultra Mike

Ultra Mike 1000 Posts = Woot Or Something

You must be thinking specifcally of the "Super Best Friends" episode where the David Blaine Cult preformed Mass sucide in order to get tax emept status in Washington. A lot of people did actually preform the sucide and die although no main characters succeeded at it. (Eric Cartman tried but kept pussying out at the last second).

Not to mention in Futurama they have suicide booths, seen specifically in the pilot where Bender (along with Fry) nearly killed themselves.

7. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

There was also a recent episode (unfortunately I can't recall which one) wherein the Mayor pointed a gun at her temple and blew her brains out, though she was very much alive and had a bandage around her head in a later scene.

8. Spongebrain2.0

Spongebrain2.0 New Member

And the owner of Wall-Mart blew his brains out too. AND HOW could we forget Kenny sacrificing himself for the rest of the world at the end of "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut"

9. Matt-a-Tastic

Matt-a-Tastic New Member

:eek: 8 posts and no-ones mentioned the sucide attempt in "The Incredibles" :eek:

Surely someone getting comminting sucide in a U/G rated movie is MUCH more memorable than in an adult cartoon like South Park or Family Guy

10. Alex Toon

Alex Toon Tails wishes a happy 15th!

I wouldn't call his scarifice "suicide", just "martyring"

11. Cartman

Cartman Flute Player

In the old MGM cartoon HALF-PINT PYGMY, George and Junyer kill themselves at the end when they realize they did not catch the world's smallest pygmy. This was also the final George and Junyer cartoon.

12. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

It was the last MGM George and Junior cartoon, but it wasn't their last appearance. Decades later, in 1990s, Cartoon Network made two new George and Junior cartoons for their "What a Cartoon!" show.

Anyway, yes, there were many "Looney Tunes" where characters commit suicide. Of course, they just come back in the next short. One of the best example is the "now I've seen everything" gag. Everytime something unusual happens, a character, like a mouse, cat, or a fish, suddenly appears, witnesses it, and tells the audience "now I've seen everything!", and shoots himself.

13. 90'sCartoonMan

90'sCartoonMan Punch Drunk Flounder

Strangest suicide I've ever seen was on Ren & Stimpy. They stayed in this haunted house and this ghost kept trying to scare them. At the end of the episode, he was frustrated that he was unsuccessful, so he proclaimed "I'm going to end it all" and drank poison, I believe. The effect was it brought him back to life.

I know this doesn't count, but at the very beginning of Gargoyles, Goliath commits a type of suicide when asked to be frozen in stone. He had no idea he'd ever wake up.

14. Strollymonster

Strollymonster NO SPRINGS!

There are a few instances of suicide in Rurouni Kenshin...

SPOILERS

There are probably more...

15. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

The first episode of Serial Experiments Lain kicks off with a suicide.

16. Conan-san

Conan-san New Member

In Nadesico, the guilt of Gai's murder is too much on Admerial Tsukiomi and in the end he goes insane and blows himself away by Using an experimental Astevalis that was unstable.

17. GregX

GregX New Member

Spike Spiegel and Vicious. I think both of them knew what was going to happen there.

18. sdp

sdp God

Theres been plenty of "Good bye cruel world" and they act like they're going to commit suicide.

19. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi 30 Years of Turtle Power

Felix The Cat commited suicide at the end of his film debut in "Feline Follies", 1919.

20. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Homer Simpson has twice attempted suicide - first in Season 1's "Homer's Odyssey" by nearly jumping off a bridge (his family saves him before he can act on it), and again in Season 11's "Hello Gutter, Hello Father" (he jumps off a building, grabs onto a bungee-jumping Otto, plummets through a sewer into the underground realm of the Mole People, and then lands back on the street in front of Ron Howard's car).