Animated Music Videos

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Freav, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

As a big animation and a big music fan, I find many animated music videos fascinating, they push the boundaries of what you can do with video making and good music and animations often make for a stunning atmosphere (which is probably why I tend to like shows with great music a lot). Here are some favorites of mine (they're all in youtube, if anyone is interested, I obviously dont want to load this with embedded videos):

Radiohead - Paranoid Android Mega famous and trippy video, inspired by the sweden cartoon "Robin", which I never watched. Can't say many things that haven't been said before (includes some NSFW viduals, just saying, so be careful)

Radiohead - 2+2=5 Radiohead is great at doing this! another weird and depressing video that also inclues some strange visuals. (Also a bit of NSFW animation.).

Radiohead - Burn the Witch I promise this is the last Radiohead one. One of my favorite songs from 2016, has great stop motion animation. Not as weird as the previous 2, but still sinister.

Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution Man I love Pearl Jam, one of my favorite bands ever. This video and song are full of social satire and it's deliciously depressing and screwed up. (I'm sorry if most of what I'm posting is a bit too "dark" for some).

Ween - Transdermal Celebration I REALLY wanted to talk about this one, as it's much more obscure, but maybe my favorite song on the list. Some of it really reminds me of "Over the Garden Wall" for some reason. This was originally a fan video, but the band liked it so much that they made it official.

Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow A band I'm not as into as the other ones, but I've always liked this song. The video is much simpler than the rest but I quite like the visuals, There are a few sexual undertones so be careful if you watch it.

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know Like QOTSA, a band I'm not a huge fan of, but that I quite enjoy, this is a fun simple video that fits the song. this song is extremely known anyways. NSFW at the end.

REM - I'll Take the Rain Here you have something lighter and friendly :). REM is one of my all time favorite bands and this song is gorgeous, the video fits perfectly and is pure eye candy for me!

Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards Trippy!! I'm not well versed in Tame Impala (they're getting huge around here!) But this song is wonderful, and the weird psychedelic video fits perfectly!

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight Not fully animated, but really great! Has a great old school feel and pays a nice tribute to "A trip to the moon"

Sleater-Kinney - A New Wave A Bob's Burgers themed video! I'll include this since it's not in the show. Bob's Burgers is one of my all time favorite cartoons and Sleater-Kinney one of my all time favorite bands (note that i discovered both things separately) so this is still hard to believe for me, I love it too much.

Most of The Wall (Pink Floyd) Well, it's a movie, an album and a lot of it is animates. It has some really nice pieces (discretion is REALLY needed when watching most of it, like the trial, ugh)

Many things from They Might Be Giants, I'm not well versed in them, but I love most of what I know "The Mesopotamians" and "Istambul" have very fun animated videos, and I really recommend their "kid friendly" album "Here Comes Science" for anyone who likes science, it's crazy good! Check out "Meet the Elements", "Here Comes Science" or "Why Does the Sun Shines"(especially followed by "Why Does the Sun Really Shines"). Most of it really.

So yeah, anybody else likes animated music videos, which ones do you like?

EDIT: I forgot Dead Fox by Courtney Barnett, that song and video are amazing.

#1 Freav, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

I had forgotten cyriak existed! I used to love watching his trippy videos back then.

4. cheril59

cheril59 Member

Peter Gabriel's also done music videos with animation, too, namely "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time"

Michael Jackson did those, too, ("Speed Demon" and "Leave Me Alone") as part of his movie, "Moonwalker".

5. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

Damn I love animated music videos, here the first 10 that came up in my weak memory (withouth the obvious examples like Daft Punk and Gorillaz):
    'I Miss You' by Björk. An awesome track from one of my favourite albums ever, music video was animated by the one and only, John K, so it's werid and realy over the top.
    'Like a Pen' by The Knife. A fascinating music video that mixes a ton of different styles of animation. 'Silent Shout' is kinda is modern classic album and every video is animated in different technique.
    'Thievery' by Arca (NSFW). Arca is one of my favourite artists of last few years, his visuals are very out there, created by his best friend, Jesse Kanda (their duo is kinda the Aphex/Cunningham of 2010's). This one is extremely creepy and has Arca's alter ego Xen dancing his motion captured moves in CGI.
    'Pools' by Glass Animals. For the first time I actually saw this video on MTV Rocks UK and the stellar clay animation immediately catched my eye
    'Remind Me' by Röyksopp. I remember loving this music video since I was, like, 4. All those statistics and infogrphics are a very original and stylish concept.
    'Boys Latin' by Panda Bear. The song has a perfect chill atmospheric vibe and the video fits it perfectly.
    'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley is kind of a classic, the music video has one of those concepts that are unforgetabble after the first watch. And both song and video have replay value because of the catchiness/detalization respectively.
    'Alfonso Muskedunder' by Todd Terje is such a cool video. The graphic design of all of his album covers is very almost kiddishly cartoony and I love every second of it, the song sounds very cheesy, like a theme song for an oldschool saturday morning cartoon, and it works, because you can still very much hear the spectacular artistry behind it
    'Fell In Love With A Girl' by White Stripes is just iconic. Colourfull Lego animation with a short and bold banger. Damn how hard it was to do all this.
    'Change Is Everything' by Son Lux. The black and white music video is animated by a ton of pins and a thread and gave me chills the first time I saw it.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I can go further than that.

A British animation house was contracted to produce music videos for ABC (How to be a Zillionaire), Rod Stewart (Motown Song), and Elton John (Club at The End of The Street). Not exactly artistic masterpieces, but still......

7. Cunning Condor

Cunning Condor Unfriendly Cartoonist

Gorillaz
    Tool
    Primus

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Daft Punk used some Japanese anime for "One More Time".

9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

That was actually part of an entire movie - Interstella 5555, a collaboration with Leiji Matsumoto based on the Discovery album.

10. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Anybody remember Girlfriend the video? It features scenes from Space Adventurer Cobra and the other vid featuring scenes of Lum from that anime. Forgot who the artist is though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk