1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs vs Tiny toons vs Freakazoid.

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Cortez2301, May 14, 2006.

?

Which one do you like best?

1. Animaniacs.

44 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Freakazoid.

38 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Tiny Toons.

30 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Craig Crumpton

Craig Crumpton This is a close-up?

Four pages of discussion and not one Pinky & The Brain fan protests this gross effrontery and besmirchiness of a modern day classic? For the love of Mary Pickford!

I refuse to vote in this poll until this so-called "king" zrz answers for this.

That said, I would rank the three shows thusly (and in this order):

3) Tiny Toons: It's difficult for me to say that I'm actually a "fan" of this series. I have an aversion to any animated icons being changed into "kiddie versions" to make them more appealing to younger viewers. It's consistently been a bad idea, and one that animation fans fear most.

And while I will agree that TTA did overcome the cliche and produced an entertaining series, the concept of the series to this day still leaves a bad taste on my tongue. But I loved Plucky, which is ironic considering what I stated earlier about kidditized (if that isn't a word, I just made it one) versions of animated icons. Daffy Duck is my favorite cartoon character. And somehow, a youthful exaggeration of Daffy's personality was comedy gold and I loved it. Plucky always made me laugh, especially any Plucky/Hamton-featured episodes. They made a great comedy duo--much moreso than Babs and Buster ever did, IMO.

2) Freakazoid!: It was more an animated comedy variety show than it was an animated superhero comedy, and it worked. But it was also more for adults than kids, and probably why I latched onto it immediately. Freakazoid is like a grab bag of all the best cartoons, characters, and classic films WB ever produced, and infused with humor stylings of some of the best comedy ever produced... like The Marx Brothers, Monty Python, and The Three Stooges all rolled into one incredibly entertaining show.

And then cap it off with Paul Rugg's hilarious performance, along with a great voice cast, quality animation, and great writing, and you've got yourself one heckuva hilarious show.

Freakazoid was also the reason I made my first post here at TZ, back in the late 90's when it was still the Warner Bros Club and part of Brian's WB Cartoons Page.

1) Animaniacs: I have several thousand dollars worth of collectibles in storage thanks to this show. That alone should be ample explanation why I rank it #1. But what I loved most about A! were the Pinky & The Brain segments. My younger brother and I would literally cheer every time they appeared. And the large statues of the mousey duo sitting atop my bookshelf are a testament to my love of the show and especially those characters.

I've also wasted away many, many countless hours here at TZ discussing episodes of Animaniacs and P&TB. There's like a 3-year stint of my life that revolved almost exclusively around A! and P&TB. And in hindsight, you ask if I wish I had those years back and would've been more productive doing something to better myself or the world around me?

@#$%, NO! That was actually a very difficult period of my life, and those shows (along with Freakazoid) helped me through it, and my love of those shows made me some lifelong friends here.

2. fanboy

fanboy Member

I like both, but I choose Tiny Toons, for the same reasons Fifi Fanatic stated.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

To be fair, Tiny Toons was really more of a Next Gen series than a Babyfication, as it didn't feature the original Looney Tunes characters as kids, but rather the younger heir apparents of said characters. Baby Looney Tunes was the true LT/MM babyfication series, and it was guilty of 1 the worst offenses of babyfications: some classic characters aged while others (Granny) remained their original age, which made following time continuity impossible.

4. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Which is probably a good thing. Why would anyone want to put BLT in the same time continuity as the classic shorts?

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I'll third what was said above: Baby Looney Tunes was the actual LT/MM babyfication series. Tiny Toons escaped the babyfication trap by:

1) Not making the characters the classic WB gang as kids, but rather their protegees linked only by species and tradition, and

2) Having top-notch writing and clever gags in their corner.

BLT, in addition to its' other obvious crimes, was not even very original: all they did was splash a coat of WB paint over Jim Henson's Muppet Babies, right down to the basic concept of all of the central characters living together in a single house with no masters and casting Granny as Nanny. Wow, they must've been up all night thinking that one up. :shrug:

6. MasterNickToon

MasterNickToon Ultimate Nicktoons Fan

For me it's between Animaniacs and Tiny Toons; but in the end I decided to vote Animaniacs.

7. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Animaniacs, absolutely. You've got the Warners, you've got Pinky and the Brain, you've got Minerva Mink (I just like the character), you've got catchy songs, and I could go on and on.

8. Neizd Aviir

Neizd Aviir Guest

Tiny Toons for sure because:

1) I just love Buster & Babs (no relation) couple ;)

2) It still has one nice place in my memory XD Even if the series were aired in Poland so long ago...so long that I actually decidet to watch it again to refresh old memories :anime:

9. thenewme93

thenewme93 Active Member

Freakazoid man especially that fan boy episode just for the shot at Marvel Comic's Stan-Lee

10. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Member

As far as overall favorite show, I'd have to go with Animaniacs!. I like Tiny Toons a lot and watched it religiously when I was a kid but the overall quality of animation and gags varies too much for me to say it's my favorite one. I really love Freakazoid to death and I honestly believe it is the funniest animated show I've ever watched (a close 2nd is The Tick). But Animaniacs has the whole package. All the different characters, the jokes are still pretty funny for the most part and for me there's more quality episodes that duds.

11. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Freakazoid because it's awesome:anime:

12. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

13. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Having recently purchased Tiny Toons Adventure DVD, it dawned on me why I have such a fond love for this show. Outside of the usual clever dialogues and entertaining slapstick lies a variety of characters to know and love, all usually interacting with one another. I love the half-hour (the more "epic" tales) as much as the seven minute episodes; the characters really cover a lot of range, even the pushy moral episodes.

14. Collie

Collie Total Drama Llama

I prefered Animaniacs most. I liked the sheer number of parodies they did and most of the characters.

Freakazoid was next ... something about how utterly off the wall it was appealed to me.

TTA, while not bad, suffered from me having watched a lot of the original Bugs and company cartoons when I was younger, so I was frequently looking at episodes with a case of Deja Vu ... completely stolen plots.

If I get write-ins, Road Rovers goes in the #2 spot.

15. aalong64

aalong64 Active Member

Freakazoid's my favourite at the moment, but then again I just recently discovered it, so in a few months that may change. I really enjoy its unpredictableness, and the hilarious parodies, one-liners, characters.. really just about everything except for some of the non-Freakazoid segments.

If Pinky and the Brain was on the list, it'd probably come next for me, then Tiny Toons, then Animaniacs. I enjoyed some aspects of Animaniacs, but I found the title characters fairly annoying at times, since to me they always seemed to be screaming "Hey I'm funny! Laugh at me! Laugh!!!" Mind you, sometimes it worked, but mostly it reminded me of some irritating class clowns I knew. I know Freakazoid sort of does that too, but it doesn't bother me in the same way. Maybe it's cause he has a more normal voice?... I have no idea. Anyway, there were lots of aspects of the show that I liked, such as Pinky and the Brain, much of the humour (if not always the characters that were delivering it) and the Macademia Nut.

16. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

That's really funny because I've started to feel that way too, especially after having seen Tiny Toons and Freakazoid after years of not seeing either show. Your right about the main characters on Animaniacs, Punjab. If a character has to tell you that they're zany I'd say that they're trying too hard. But like you I really don't mind Freakazoid, probably because it's just that insane and off the wall that it becomes it's own entity.

I still really like Animaniacs, just not as much as I used to.

17. stargirl

stargirl Active Member

I only remember watching a couple of Tiny Toons episodes. So it was a tossup between Animainiacs and Freakazoid.

However, here's the thing: I like Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. But it's a rarity to see a superhero who's actually silly and funny. And H-O-T.

So, I chose Freakazoid FTW.

#97 stargirl, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  18. warnerbro7

warnerbro7 pretty cute huh?

very hard to decide but if i had to decide it would most likely be animaniacs
    probably because i grew up watching it and now every time i go on youtube i have to look at a show. second would probably be a tie i was born when warners didnt make new tiny toon episodes so i didnt remember them as much but of course if you watch animaniacs tiny toons pops up and i started to love it. freakazoid was good to but i never got into his show until i discoverd todays cartoons stink but they all are very zany and smart shows each was zany in their own way, which by the way can anyone explain how they all were different in humor types?:confused:

19. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Amen brother! I'm offically casting a protest vote for everybody's favourite genetically altered lab mice.

20. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I thought that Pinky & the Brain were funny on Animaniacs, but I never thought that they needed to have their own show. There are only so many variations that one can do with the theme of P&B trying (and failing) to take over the world before it gets tired and repetitive. I still contend to this day that a Slappy Squirrel spinoff series would have been better.