1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs vs Tiny toons vs Freakazoid.

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Cortez2301, May 14, 2006.

?

Which one do you like best?

1. Animaniacs.

44 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Freakazoid.

38 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Tiny Toons.

30 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Aw, I bet your husband would argue that point!

2. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

lol, okay I'll stop sounding so self hating XD
    But on TV and in movies the girl named Valerie is usually a very pretty lady.

3. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

You definitely go for Animiniacs as No.1.

Me:
    1. Freakazoid: OOH FREAKO!
    2. Animaniacs
    3. We're Tiny, we're Toony, we're all a little Loony...

4. FanOingo

FanOingo Member

I never got why Animaniacs was so popular. I'm not saying it's a bad show, but really...I felt that Tiny Toon Adventures was the more superior show.

I mean I feel that if you can get attached to the character, then I would like them. I never got attached to any of the characters on that show, and besides not a lot of the characters were that popular with the exception of The Warners and Pinky and the Brain.

Plus I felt that almost all the scripts in A! were just the same thing. Warners annoy people until the person gives into their demands at the end.

Same with Pinky and the Brain...same thing over and over again. They try to take over the world...it's never gonna happen.

I mean as much as I liked the Christmas Special, I just thought at the end, "Come on! You're so close!"

But that doesn't mean I dislike the episode. No, in fact, it's my favorite one of the bunch.

As for TTA, I always thought that there was a different episode with better characters, different plot, and different outcomes. I also think that since Tiny Toon Adventures set the standard for what the other Silver Age cartoons would be like, at least give it some respect.

Now as for Freakazoid, I remember watching that show the most on the WB when I was a kid. I just liked it better.

I don't know for what reason I disliked A!'s characters. But if I had to rate it against the other shows it would be this:

1. Tiny Toon Adventures
    2. Freakazoid
    3. Animaniacs

5. Tharchmist

Tharchmist Long live the Eds! ~

I love Tiny Toons, but I had to go with Animaniacs because I usually watch them more. I've never even heard of Freakazoid, though.

6. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

I guess you never got why Bugs Bunny was so popular either. Or Daffy Duck...

It's not the destination; it's the journey. You sound like a WB network executive. "Gee, we like the characters, but could you perhaps retool the show so it's isn't about taking over the world all the time?" Yes, they really said this (not necessarily in those words, but near enough).

You're just completely missing the point of both shows, I think. Maybe you're not as familiar with the things they lampooned. Tiny Toons seemed to lampoon popular culture far more often than unpopular culture. With the amount of unpopular culture that was lampooned in Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain and Freakazoid, it's easy for someone who is only familiar with popular culture not to appreciate them fully. I think Tiny Toons has retained a large fanbase who never bought into the other shows partly for that reason. That and there's a large portion of the fanbase who preferred Tiny Toons simply because the characters were of dating age...

Worms and weasels! You must have lived in an area that didn't get the WB when it started. Nutbunnies! Your life is lacking. You must get the Freakazoid DVDs! and then go see the Honey Harvest Festival in Acton. or watch a bear ride a motorcycle.

7. FanOingo

FanOingo Member

I'm not trying to say that they need to do that...I'm just stating my opinions on why it wasn't my favorite. That's all. :shrug:

8. Dante Bunny

Dante Bunny PK ROCKIN!!!

Keeper, he was stating his opinion on why he doesn't like that show...that doesn't means he is bashing it...I'm afraid that "WB Network Executive" comment is a little rude, doncha think?

9. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

I didn't say that he was bashing it, merely that I think he doesn't get it... just like the WB network executives didn't.

So, to answer your question, no.

10. FanOingo

FanOingo Member

So you think there's a point to a cartoon? I thought the main point of a cartoon was entertain it's viewer. For a company it's to make a profit off of that product.

We as the viewers of these cartoons are the consumers. We are the ones watching what they created. If I'm not entertained by something then that's fine. I don't have to like everything.

It's my time and my money on what I want to be entertained by. I'm the one who bought the DVD sets for Animaniacs. If I'm not as satisfied with Animaniacs as much as I was with Tiny Toon Adventures, then that's fine.

Just by your comment saying I don't get something...you're scolding me like as If I'm some 2 year old kid who doesn't understand something.

I have my own personal reasons for not liking Animaniacs as much as Tiny Toon Adventures.

Does that mean I hate the shows all together? No of course not. Merely I just think that Pinky and the Brain as a show by itself wasn't as great as it was as a simple pair of shorts off Animaniacs.

It just got boring for me after a while. Also for a matter of fact. I do like Bugs and Daffy. I did get why they were popular. They annoyed people who basically were jerks. Which in turn was funny. However, the way I saw it, The Warners annoyed everybody and not just jerks.

Truly I disliked this as I was annoyed by random people a lot through my childhood who basically wasted my time with stupid questions, taunts, and etc. so it gave me a bad experience and I just stopped watching it after a while. I do like to re-watch some of their antics once in a while though. I do actually enjoy some of the Warner's skits. But however, my favorite shorts were the Slappy and Skippy shorts the most.

So clearly, I understand the premise of what these cartoons are trying to do. But really, it's just a cartoon. Why take it so seriously?

I understand your reasons for liking the cartoons, but however I have a different reason and an opinion. It's my right to express my opinions about something and clearly people take these shows too seriously, in my honest opinion.

So yes. I respect your opinion. But I believe I didn't deserve to be called a WB executive just because you think I don't understand the premise of these shows.

Yes, I did make a few mistakes with my post. But I really didn't mean to take into a direction in which you think I looked stupid.

I just want to be entertained. If I'm not, then I have to right to watch something else. That's all I'm saying. I do love these cartoons. I grew up with them. But I have a right to dislike and like something.

If you don't like the opinion, then thats cool. There's no need to be mean. That's all I'm saying.

#70 FanOingo, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  11. Ganymede

Ganymede Ahh, Mango Fruit!

Me neither. First time I heard of it was on these forums.

12. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Wow, I must have written a lot of invisible words, huh? I was neither mean, nor calling you stupid. Sorry that you imagine otherwise.

13. Ganymede

Ganymede Ahh, Mango Fruit!

I'm thinking it wasn't exactly what you said, so much as the way you said it. Sometimes, people read between lines, and interpret something not mean as being said in a mean way or derogatory way.

To me, interpreting someone's not liking the premise of a show as "completely missing the point" of said show kind of undermines their intelligence, and can be interpreted as an insult in some cases. The same goes for comparing somebody to studio executives after putting the executives in a poor light. It sounds a bit like you're "attacking" their opinion.

Share your opinions if you want. Just don't "assume" somebody "doesn't get it" based on their own opinion.

14. FanOingo

FanOingo Member

Also to tell the truth...I'm only 14. So that could be one reason as to why you think I really didn't get the so called "point" of the shows.

The first show that I ever watched when I was really small was TTA. I didn't watch Animaniacs or Freakazoid until they started airing re-runs on Cartoon Network. Same with Looney Toons.

So if there was one show I liked more it was TTA mostly because it was in fact a show that I grew up with.

15. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Definitely, for the reasons I suspected. Watch them again in 10 or 20 years and I'm sure you'll find you "get" a lot more of them (I'd bet there are people here who were your age when the shows were new and who now see them and think, "Gosh, I never got that before!"). In TTA, obscure references (e.g. the reference to Kon Tiki being discussed in another thread) were fewer and farther between. It based a lot more of its humor on current pop culture. In Animaniacs and P&TB (especially the latter), and particularly Freakazoid, whole scenes or often whole episodes were lampooning much more obscure, older material. So if one misses the parody aspect of an episode, one sees only repetition of taking over the world in different ways, for example. They still stand on their own as funny, but they're funnier when the "source" material is known. Then it isn't so much about taking over the world as it is about how they weave that aspect into the parody that they're doing.

It's because of the high amount of obscure references in the later shows that the infamous CRGA was compiled.

Anyway, know that I'm never antagonistic (I just never use those new-fangled smilies!). I've been on the internet a long time (nearly 23 years -- i.e., before the invention of smilies), and in my experience, I've found that it's much better to assume that people are saying things in a light-hearted way than to assume that they're out to get you.

16. AlienX

AlienX Member

I went with tiny toons it was in my opinon tom rueggers best effort and show he worked on it was a geat retool just like his work on a pup named scooby do the characters interacted great there was a great sense of continuty but thats not what made it great it was the characters how I love all the plots and parodies were less . In animaniacs the series was either hit or miss I only liked pinky and the brain or slappy the squirrel . The warners were funny but they also annoyed people who werent jerks which is annoying thankfully this is said to be less in volume 3 . I releazied that this show did way to many parodies which made the warners suffer in having to act out movies instead of having adventures in the warner studios where I think this whole series should be about wacky adventures about the warners in the studio in 8 minutes pinky and the brain then slappy . I really dontget get why they had to do musicals . Pinky and the brain was a good show because unlike animaniacs it had a story struture which made all the episodes seem funny and relevant they had there own home which they could go back to in every episode and some great cheimstry . The end of the world plot didnt matter it was what gave brain the reason to be there and even if he never did suceeded and at times seem like he could win this show was always funny and had a reason instead of going crazy and at times pointless.

17. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

To me its a tie between Animaniacs (for the Warners-only parts) and Freakazoid! Both had outstanding humor. I wish Steven Spielberg would revive Animaniacs, though.

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yarg! Holy run-on sentences, Batman! :eek:

Anyways, since this poll is based on personal opinions, I'm not about to dispute your choices or why you made them, but I would like to offer a few counterpoints, if I may:

You're kind of missing the point: Animaniacs wasn't supposed to have one solid story structure and setting; it was supposed to showcase a cornucopia of settings, characters and situations, like an animated vaudeville show. As for the musicals, well, what variety show doesn't have musical numbers? Besides, Pinky & the Brain had musical numbers as well. "Brainstem", "Cheese Roll Call", "The Tailor and the Mice", "A Meticulous Analysis of History" and "Just Say 'Narf'", anyone?

Pinky & the Brain had nothing to do with the end of the world; Brain was trying to take over the world. Just saying. And again, P&tB was about one set of characters and a single premise as opposed to A!, which was done variety-show style alternating between different segments and casts. You're of course entitled to prefer whichever show you prefer, but I don't think it's really fair to say one show is superior to another when they're structured and set up in completely different ways. You can't call A! an inferior show because it wasn't like an animated sitcom; it was never supposed to be. It's like comparing Friends to SCTV.

19. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

I liked Freakazoid better, near Season 2, it started having more "story and focus" and such rather than being "Two 5-minute shorts followed by 8-minute story". I enjoyed watching a 25-minute Freakazoid episode where the plot was set and could just watch the whole thing develope.

I also enjoyed the characters a bit more. Animaniacs had too many for my taste. And I was a bit more attracted by Freakazoid's "I'm a dumb character" humor rather than Pinky.

Pinky & the Brain seemed to just have "Pinky would either outsmart Brain, he wouldn't listen or Pinky would say something dumb and Brain would smack him or facepalm" interaction between the characters. Freakazoid was like, bipolar or something.

One minute he would be all little kid and "Don't hit me :c" when in a fight with a super villian the next he would be all "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU JUST GO GET OFF OF MY SHOW GOOOO!! >:C". It was pretty funny to me.

And besides.

LOOK, IT'S NORM ABRAM! I AM TALKING TO NORM ABRAM! I AM SHAKING HANDS WITH NORM ABRAM!! I AM HOLDING NORM ABRAM OVER MY HEAD!!!

20. Radio Clash 5150

Radio Clash 5150 Ships Spongebob with Sandy

Man, that's hard.

I guess Freakazoid at #1, followed by Tiny Toons, then Animaniacs. But I love all three a lot.